Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #166
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanover
Yeah, those CAR losses sting.

I thought the D was the weak spot...but the last 10 ganmes i think they have given up 14 goals, no game more than 2. That is hard to do. Tough test tonight in Toronto. We'll see how the boys do. It's been a fun run though. first time in a looooong time. Same can be said for Toronto
Yeah, if they can get out with a point they will be in good shape as the last 4 they play are very winable despite all being road games. The thing they stopped doing was imploding after they gave up a goal. Wasn't that the game against Florida where they were up 3-0 and gave up 3 goals in 1:40? They managed to win that one and haven't done that again, but it seemed a regular occurance early in the season and several games they should have won, the Carolina ones in particular, were lost.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #167
ceejay

Quote:
As a lifelong Islanders fan, I have to agreee!!! Really, an MVP is a guy who means a ton to the team. Without Tavares, the Isles are nowhere. Without crosby the Pens are still top team in the East.

And why is Capuano not even mentioned for Coach of the Year. Takes team that last year was the worst with pre-season predictions the same for this year. Barely any personnel changes. And team could finish as high as 5th. I dont get how he doesnt even get mentioned. Yeah, the media etc, but someone should notice.

Of course these awards are more popularity contests than 'real'. IMO
If both these guys worked for the Toronto Maple Leafs they would be in the mix. But, there is a media bias in play. The Islanders, despite playing in Uniondale, are in fact a small market team and players and coaches must be so far the best to win these types of awards.
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #168
ceejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
last 4 they play are very winable despite all being road games.
As you probably know, there are playing much better on the road than at home. I suspect that may change in the playoffs (if they happen) because as crappy as it is the NVMC really can rock.
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #169
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Big night tonight for Jets fans......

Have to take Florida over the Rangers; unfortunatley, Toronto over the Islanders (that's painful); and do I go with Ottawa or Washington, who both have 50 points. Something tells me Washington is going to be tougher to catch, so go Caps go!

50 Washington
50 Ottawa
49 Islanders
46 Rangers
----------------
46 Jets
44 Buffalo

ps. Favorite Islander is Butch Goring

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #170
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay
As you probably know, there are playing much better on the road than at home. I suspect that may change in the playoffs (if they happen) because as crappy as it is the NVMC really can rock.
That stat seems an anomaly rather than something with real meaning, but they have certainly been doing fine at home of late. You ain't kidding though. That place has got to be the worst venue in a major sport. The ads on the boards even scream minor league, let alone the events between periods. Am very excited to see how the setup at Barclays will look in September. Haven't been in there yet but it seems pretty dark on TV for the Nets games.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #171
jdhanover

Quote:
That stat seems an anomaly rather than something with real meaning, but they have certainly been doing fine at home of late. You ain't kidding though. That place has got to be the worst venue in a major sport. The ads on the boards even scream minor league, let alone the events between periods. Am very excited to see how the setup at Barclays will look in September. Haven't been in there yet but it seems pretty dark on TV for the Nets games.
But for the playoffs it is the best. If you listen to the guys the past couple of weeks they talk about how crazy loud it is (now that it is full). The old stadiums (like here in Chicago where the old Stadium was much louder than the United center) seem to be louder. I remember the last time they were in the playoffs, the announcers commented on it being the loudest arena in the league.

They have been much better as of late at home and I think the home crowd will help. Hope they continue to be road warriors...and BUF and PHIL get mathematcally eliminated before that back-to-back at the end of the season.

Oh, and while I dont see it happening, how great would it be if the Isles get in AND the Rangers dont????
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #172
HoofedInTheChest

Is Big Buff in game shape yet?
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #173
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Image size selection -- use it! Or is everything just bigger in the Big Smoke?

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #174
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
But for the playoffs it is the best. If you listen to the guys the past couple of weeks they talk about how crazy loud it is (now that it is full). The old stadiums (like here in Chicago where the old Stadium was much louder than the United center) seem to be louder. I remember the last time they were in the playoffs, the announcers commented on it being the loudest arena in the league.

They have been much better as of late at home and I think the home crowd will help. Hope they continue to be road warriors...and BUF and PHIL get mathematcally eliminated before that back-to-back at the end of the season.

Oh, and while I dont see it happening, how great would it be if the Isles get in AND the Rangers dont????
Maybe I'll never rank as a "true" fan as I don't think I'll ever hate on the Rangers but enjoy the local rivalries a lot. First game I ever saw live was Rangers with Gretzky vs Buffalo and Háček. Just a fantastic game and when the Rangers won in 1994 I was living just two blocks from the Garden on 32nd st. and you could just hear this joyous noise coming down the street when they won as fans poured out of the Garden. I just love the fact that living in NYC gives so many opportunities to see games in all the sports.

Now would I like to see the Isles knock the Rangers out of the playoffs? Well that's a whole different question!

BTW real barn burner going tonight!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #175
jdhanover

Quote:
Maybe I'll never rank as a "true" fan as I don't think I'll ever hate on the Rangers but enjoy the local rivalries a lot. First game I ever saw live was Rangers with Gretzky vs Buffalo and Háček. Just a fantastic game and when the Rangers won in 1994 I was living just two blocks from the Garden on 32nd st. and you could just hear this joyous noise coming down the street when they won as fans poured out of the Garden. I just love the fact that living in NYC gives so many opportunities to see games in all the sports.

Now would I like to see the Isles knock the Rangers out of the playoffs? Well that's a whole different question!

BTW real barn burner going tonight!
Crazy game....outshooting Leafs 31-9, up only 3-2....this tends to end a little less well. But since they started down 2-0, maybe they can keep it going. Hope so...would be a giant 2 points.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #176
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Thanks Maple Buds -- can't count on you for anything!

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #177
jdhanover

Big W for the Isles.....game in Winnipeg on Saturday looms large.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #178
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

Flyers

Suck....will never win D is a joke GM and owner in Fantasyland. That team needs a major overhaul.
Racey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #179
HoofedInTheChest

Go big or go home Trotter! Sorry about that guys...

Looks like the hometown Toronto boys had family at the game tonight, they were putting on a clinic. Tavares, Moulson, and Boyes were unstoppable tonight, this happens every time a local player comes home, the Buds just can't make it easy on themselves.

Looks like fatboy won it for the Jets, just my luck.

One thing about the MVP...
After looking at the contenders, one thing stands out to me, the majority of the high end players are a minus in the (+ -). For me that separates the greats from the not so greats. If you're allowing more goals than you're putting in, you have no business winning the MVP, you're still a liability out there. Someone from the Pens or the Hawks should take the MVP.

This would be my MVP rankings
Crosby +26
Toews +27
Kunitz +29
Kane +14
Nash +13
Obitchkin -1
Tavares -1
Carter -1
St.Louis -3
Stamkos -7
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply