Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #31
Strike The Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Truly they never would have better leverage. It's how the game is played. The root of this involves OT pay. As reported in the Daily News today, the old union contract had the work week based on Monday through Friday, which means all Saturdays and Sundays were OT pay. NYRA wants them to shift to a Wednesday to Sunday contract (which is the schedule of almost all the workers there) and the union doesn't want to. And that's what it comes down to at the root.
This is my first post on this board although I have been reading the board for years. This topic stirred me up enough to post. I live in NY so unions are a way of life, especially if one has kids in public schools. The union needs to get realistic. Times change. i understand that they don't want the definition of their work week to change but their work week is Weds-Sun, no? No one wants a pay cut. would they rather lose their jobs? I'm not in a union. NY is a work at will state. I have been with my employer for 15 years and I can walk in to work tomorrow & be job discontinued. Pension? they had one when I got there but they went to a cash balance plan so now the burden to save is on me. Rising healthcare premiums are killing everyone - I kick in approx 5% of my salary for premiums & that's before deductibles. Don't even get me started on the teachers union. Times change. Unions need to change as well. Nothing lasts forever. Maybe the union should say "for all those years we were getting paid OT for weekends, well it was good while it lasted"

Thanks for reading. I'm anticipating a great race and although I won't be betting on IHA, I'm certainly rooting for him. I think he has guts and hopefully, he'll get it done. Racing needs it & NY needs it as well.
Strike The Gold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike The Gold
This is my first post on this board although I have been reading the board for years. This topic stirred me up enough to post. I live in NY so unions are a way of life, especially if one has kids in public schools. The union needs to get realistic. Times change..
Welcome aboard Strike the Gold. Good post.
Times change.
There are many unemployed Americans who would love to load horses in a gate just to put bread on the table.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #33
anotherCAfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Times change.
There are many unemployed Americans who would love to load horses in a gate just to put bread on the table.
This issue hits kind of closer than most to me (though that is irrelevant to the discussion). This reminds me of just how many jobs there are at a racetrack -- from the gate workers, to the paddock judge, to the hotwalkers, and many more. That is why I hope the industry can survive. (Of course, to do so it must lower takeout and what not, although that is a discussion for another thread.)
anotherCAfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #34
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Times change.
I am hoping you mean unemployed Americans with thoroughbred experience.

That isn't exactly a 'walk in off the streets' kind of job. I am partial to guys in there who know what they are doing.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #35
Strike The Gold

I really don't understand the business of horse racing - where does purse $$ come from, etc, etc but, I think some of the slot money is being diverted away from education today in NY to fund racing. With all the BS going on in NY today some politician may propose putting all slot money to education and that would kill racing in NY. while that may be sad, I can see the need to funnel more resources towards educating our youth. The timing of a potential strike stinks but that's the whole point I guess.
Strike The Gold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #36
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
You are right. Far right, but here you are also correct. Unions call strikes when they will have the maximum impact. There is no point to having a strike on Monday and Tuesday. Maybe I am wrong but I read this as being a strike only on Friday and Saturday; a strike to demonstrate the unions power.
Mostie- you are partially right but not that right. I am a union dues guy for most of my 25 years in the AFL-CIO. I sat on grievance/negotiating committees for years. I know both sides of the issues. I am not as far right as you may think. I simply think that most unions have gotten to the point of not protecting workers rights but of workers who do not want to contribute to the success of the company that pays their salary.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #37
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim

That isn't exactly a 'walk in off the streets' kind of job. I am partial to guys in there who know what they are doing.

We're all partial to guys who know what they are doing.
Some minimal skills and physical ability are required.
I can think of umpteen other jobs though that require more skills and more physical ability though.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
iceknight

Quote:
I am hoping you mean unemployed Americans with thoroughbred experience.

Sure, and those guys can continue to enjoy their skills after all racetracks shut down due to their behavior adding to other troubles.

Not that nyra head honchos were not making wayy too much money for doing nothing (esp on takeout etc) but come on, really - if you work 40 hrs you get paid for that. It's not like missing church on sat evening is what makes these guys ask for time+half..
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #39
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
Sure, and those guys can continue to enjoy their skills after all racetracks shut down due to their behavior adding to other troubles.

Not that nyra head honchos were not making wayy too much money for doing nothing (esp on takeout etc) but come on, really - if you work 40 hrs you get paid for that. It's not like missing church on sat evening is what makes these guys ask for time+half..
I don't have any idea about the strike. I never really thought about people in this industry getting overtime for "weekends", either. This is a 7 day per week lifestyle. There are no "weekends."

I am just saying that I want a guy in the gate with my horse who knows what the hell he is doing. Not someone with "minimal skills and physical ability" that Greyfox showed how to be an assistant starter in a week.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #40
Greyfox

Quote:
. Not someone with "minimal skills and physical ability" that Greyfox showed how to be an assistant starter in a week.

So you think that when that job posting comes up it is stated
- "Only People with Thoroughbred Experience Need Apply."
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #41
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Of course they are entitled to fair compensation.
And if they shut down on the biggest weekend of the year, that amount is $0.00.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #42
breeze
here since 1/05

Quote:
We're all partial to guys who know what they are doing.
Some minimal skills and physical ability are required.
I can think of umpteen other jobs though that require more skills and more physical ability though.
It takes a lot of skill,physical ability and guts to work in the gate. I owe my life to many a man on a gate crew. Those guys get beat up all the time and are always nursing an injury or two or three or........

Anyone who's job requires them to put their life on the line to save another should be well respected.
breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #43
breeze
here since 1/05

Quote:

So you think that when that job posting comes up it is stated
- "Only People with Thoroughbred Experience Need Apply."
If they do not know TB's then they will be "back gate shutters" for a long time. Most join the gate crew from the backside not a want ad.

I am amazed that you think they would pluck people off the street to load a racehorse into the gate.
breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #44
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze
If they do not know TB's then they will be "back gate shutters" for a long time. Most join the gate crew from the backside not a want ad.

I am amazed that you think they would pluck people off the street to load a racehorse into the gate.

I worked at the barns of a race track for a short while as a young person just off the street, but never on a gate.
My goals in life weren't focussed on working for a race track.
I'm fairly convinced though, that when I was younger, it wouldn't have taken a lot of preparation to help on the gates and then later become an assistant at starting.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #45
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight

Care to elaborate more on this?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply