Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #76
breeze
here since 1/05

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga guy
The issue is a significant one -- the 'big picture' is being missed here...

This is a stark, very obvious, example of how racing is treated like a 'second-class citizen' of the gambling world - living under rules often written years ago.

To ban racing on these two days - while permitting VLTs and lottery tickets to be sold is mind-boggling - particularly with VLTS being located at racetracks! And that legislators sit back and do nothing to address this hypocrisy says a lot about where racing stands in the scheme of things in the minds of the people who regulate it.

The issue then is: Yeah, takeout and wagering rules, etc are important issues, but how can we expect those to be addressed competently when even this most obvious of issues can't be tackled by the powers that be?

ah,back to reality

this thread sure took some odd twists, I'm undecided if I should venture on
breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #77
breeze
here since 1/05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian
The Biggest Non Issue facing NY Racing

Who cares....I mean, honestly, Easter Sunday is just another Tuesday.... a day with no racing.

Many days have no racing.

If it was up to me, they would reopen the 3 County Fair and run there 360 days a year, but that ain't happening.

Crist must be running out of ideas....

Barrington had the better track
breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2017, 12:48 AM   #78
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

He sounded off what, 6 7 years ago and nothing has changed

Happy Easter y'all!
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #79
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89 View Post
He sounded off what, 6 7 years ago and nothing has changed

Happy Easter y'all!
Wasn't there racing on Palm Sunday last weekend?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2017, 02:42 AM   #80
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Wasn't there racing on Palm Sunday last weekend?
There was but that won't stop our friend who believes we should have racing 365 days a year. I notice he didn't bump his post talking how we should race on Christmas or at least Christmas Eve. Something to look forward to come December.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2017, 04:06 AM   #81
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle View Post
There was but that won't stop our friend who believes we should have racing 365 days a year. I notice he didn't bump his post talking how we should race on Christmas or at least Christmas Eve. Something to look forward to come December.
Yes look forward to it. Merry X mas Mr 999.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #82
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I'm actually surprised by the relatively high number of tracks that ARE running on Easter Sunday.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #83
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I'm actually surprised by the relatively high number of tracks that ARE running on Easter Sunday.
maybe those places don't want to get involved in forcing their religious beliefs on people. My motto is if you're a racetrack, BE a racetrack and run on days you normally run. If you usually run on Sunday, then run. It's not hard!
Old 04-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #84
ronsmac

Before I was betting online, I had to drive to Pennsylvania to bet on Santa Anita on Easter. Now I see Maryland is running live. 17 years too late for me.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #85
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
maybe those places don't want to get involved in forcing their religious beliefs on people. My motto is if you're a racetrack, BE a racetrack and run on days you normally run. If you usually run on Sunday, then run. It's not hard!
Forcing...

Hey, what about all the Christians working the backside who don't want to work on Easter Sunday? You forcing your ideology on them? They work their asses off 7 days a week taking care of these horses, and you want to deny them one damn day to practice their religious faith on the holiest day of the year?

That's not very fair, now is it?
Old 04-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #86
SuperPickle

Quote:
Forcing...

Hey, what about all the Christians working the backside who don't want to work on Easter Sunday? You forcing your ideology on them? They work their asses off 7 days a week taking care of these horses, and you want to deny them one damn day to practice their religious faith on the holiest day of the year?

Can I give this a million stars.

SRU loves to take complex issues and make them elementary. What about the employee most who don't want to work all day Easter? What about horseman and owners most of which who don't want to race? What about all the simulcast places who don't want to be open?

Framing something as a racetrack decision which really isn't a racetrack decision is pretty simple thinking.

Btw SRU... I'm assuming you've worked every Thanksgiving and most Christmas' in your professional life.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #87
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Forcing...

If they don't want to work they can take the day off.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #88
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle View Post
Can I give this a million stars.

SRU loves to take complex issues and make them elementary. What about the employee most who don't want to work all day Easter? What about horseman and owners most of which who don't want to race? What about all the simulcast places who don't want to be open?

Framing something as a racetrack decision which really isn't a racetrack decision is pretty simple thinking.

Btw SRU... I'm assuming you've worked every Thanksgiving and most Christmas' in your professional life.
peolle who have work ethics are tripping over each other to work holidays at time and a half or double time, if they want to take a day off and miss out on double pay, that's a them problem.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #89
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
peolle who have work ethics are tripping over each other to work holidays at time and a half or double time, if they want to take a day off and miss out on double pay, that's a them problem.
Yeah, like backstretch folk get time and a half...get real
Old 04-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #90
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
If they don't want to work they can take the day off.
Yes, and I'm sure the human resources person will be sure to deduct from their vacation days....

What world are you living in? Have you ever visited a backstretch in your life?