Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
kaplan

Beginner Tips??

Hello, First time poster here. I'm brand new to this sport and was hoping to get some tips from you folks on where to begin. The only expierience I have with horses has come from watching HRTV/TVGAM the last 2 weeks. I've been betting football for years, and have decided to take up the Horses.

Where to start?

Thanks.
kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
jballscalls

Welcome to PA and to racing! It is truly a great sport and something you can hopefully enjoy for your entire lifetime.

i think the best thing to do is get some basic reading books, read alot of the handicapping discussion on here, and talk to as many other bettors as you can. Be a sponge and try to learn from what people tell you, but most of all, learn from their mistakes, because 98% of bettors dont make money in this game (me included) so try and see what they do wrong.

Steve Davidowitz' book is good, Betting Thoroughbreds
Bet with the Best is a good starter
and maybe Beyer on Speed.

Also Boomer Wry has some good books on racing, his website is
www.boomerhandicapsraces.com i believe. if thats not it just google it. he posts here on PA under boomman
Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplan
Hello, First time poster here. I'm brand new to this sport and was hoping to get some tips from you folks on where to begin. The only expierience I have with horses has come from watching HRTV/TVGAM the last 2 weeks. I've been betting football for years, and have decided to take up the Horses.

Where to start?

Thanks.
Learn LISTEN and make sure you make a paper profit before using REAL MONEY.

Modern Pace Handicapping by Brohamer even though he misses
the boat, it is a good primer to learn from
Four Quarters of Horse Investing by Fiero
Winning at the Races: Computer Discoveries in Thoroughbred Handicapping by Dr. Quirin..... A MUST READ

many of these are available on line at Amazon or the Las Vegas' Gambler's Book Club

Last edited by 46zilzal; 05-20-2009 at 01:38 PM.
46zilzal is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

Go to a track... have fun... see 'em running live.
Take advantage of beginners luck first time at the track!
"Picking Winners" by Beyer is a great read for new players.
TV racing is fun.. Live Racing is The Bees Knees!
Welcome...
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Bettowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
Learn LISTEN and make sure you make a paper profit before using REAL MONEY.

Modern Pace Handicapping by Brohamer even though he misses
the boat, it is a good primer to learn from
Four Quarters of Horse Investing by Fiero
Winning at the Races: Computer Discoveries in Thoroughbred Handicapping by Dr. Quirin..... A MUST READ

many of these are available on line at Amazon or the Las Vegas' Gambler's Book Club

Trying to make a paper profit might result in someone never betting a dime of real money I say bet your money when you are comfortable but not much to start out.
Bettowin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettowin
Trying to make a paper profit might result in someone never betting a dime of real money I say bet your money when you are comfortable but not much to start out.
No it is akin to the same advice that if you want to race cars, you go slow first. LOGICAL and mollifies the frustration of learning the game, when, as Dick Mitchell used to say, "Those runs of seven logical losses" wear on your confidence.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
OFFandRUNNING10

stay away from exotics when starting out... learn to play win/place/show bets and work your way up from there. even if its just a $2 bet to win. It gives you something to cheer for when watching live and if you lose its not a big hit, but its good for learning and having some action in the process. There is excellent money to be had playing win/place/show bets.
OFFandRUNNING10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Valupix

Quote:

Where to start?

Thanks.
Maybe if you told us a bit about your football betting philosophies someone with a somewhat similar approach to the horse could best help you with the beginning steps.

In the mean time, there are numerous good threads to read in this very forum. Go back thorough some of the older pages or use the search feature.

The selection forum is a good place to test things without losing a penny.
Valupix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
kaplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valupix
Maybe if you told us a bit about your football betting philosophies someone with a somewhat similar approach to the horse could best help you with the beginning steps.

In the mean time, there are numerous good threads to read in this very forum. Go back thorough some of the older pages or use the search feature.

The selection forum is a good place to test things without losing a penny.

Thanks for all the advice and insight.

As far as my football betting goes, I'm strictly a stat bettor. I have built a pretty big database using 3 math models that I dreamed up. I love punching stats into the computer, so after I get used to the mechanics of horse betting I could see myself trying to use the computer to help me handicap.
kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice and insight.

As far as my football betting goes, I'm strictly a stat bettor. I have built a pretty big database using 3 math models that I dreamed up. I love punching stats into the computer, so after I get used to the mechanics of horse betting I could see myself trying to use the computer to help me handicap.
remember THE horse runs the race, NO ONE ELSE
Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Warren Henry
Once/Always

Whoa Horsie

Quote:
remember THE horse runs the race, NO ONE ELSE

Have to disagree a little with the flavor of that comment. The horse runs the race, but the trainer picks the spot and the jockey has some control over where the horse goes and when he is asked for his best.

The most important software is between your ears
Warren Henry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Henry
Have to disagree a little with the flavor of that comment. The horse runs the race, but the trainer picks the spot and the jockey has some control over where the horse goes and when he is asked for his best.
Do the interactions of a race, this race or another race, once started, have anything to do with anyone else but the horse? no

if the horse is capable of winning the rider only is a passenger while the HORSE runs. The rider cannot make the horse do anything it has not already shown to be capable of doing............

Last edited by 46zilzal; 05-20-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
Warren Henry
Once/Always

Don't totally agree

Quote:
Do the interactions of a race, this race or another race, once started, have anything to do with anyone else but the horse? no

if the horse is capable of winning the rider only is a passenger while the HORSE runs. The rider cannot make the horse do anything it has not already shown to be capable of doing............
If a horse who might be capable of winning is today being ridden by a new jockey who is notoriously slow getting his mounts out of the gate, and if being slow out of the gate in this race puts our need to lead horse outside of all the other speed in the race, then our horse may no longer have the capability to win THIS race under THESE conditions.

Or, suppose the trainer tells the jock to run him hard out of the gate and then wrap him up at the final turn, will that have any effect on the outcome of the race? I vote yes.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Henry
If a horse who might be capable of winning is today being ridden by a new jockey who is notoriously slow getting his mounts out of the gate, and if being slow out of the gate in this race puts our need to lead horse outside of all the other speed in the race, then our horse may no longer have the capability to win THIS race under THESE conditions.

Or, suppose the trainer tells the jock to run him hard out of the gate and then wrap him up at the final turn, will that have any effect on the outcome of the race? I vote yes.
you have been watching too many movies and need to get a paddock pass and actually HEAR what the trainers tell the riders: it is usually about some quirk with the animal and little else i.e. "he doesn't like to run inside too many others," He can bear out if too wide" etc etc. OR will be honest with the rider and state things like "We are in here today just for the exercise and we aren't looking to push this one too hard. If he has a shot, go for it, but not to knock him out of the race we have him set up for later at a distance." (on this latter maneuver, it is usually very easy to tell by the horse's past peformances)

These guys are contracted out on a race to race basis unless they are the regular stable riders, and if they don't perform, they don't ride again. This malarkey about darkening form is pure Hollywood.

Hollywood hoopla taints the reality of many who are not part of the game first hand

Last edited by 46zilzal; 05-20-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
Warren Henry
Once/Always

Have it your way

You are as close minded here as you are in offtopic.

You know absolutely nothing about me or whether or not I have any cred in this game. And yet, you attack me personally just because I have a different opinion.

Now, back to the topic of the thread --

Hopefully, the new folks will be careful who they believe and validate what they are told before betting large sums of money. Hopefully they will also ignore the need to be right exhibited by some of the posters on this board.

Thankfully, this is a pari-mutuel game.