Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

Do Bridgejumpers "DoubleJump" @CD Friday?

with Zenyatta & Rachel Alexandra looking like death & taxes, will any brave souls out there tempt fate & Rich Perloff, trying the rarely-seen Bridgejumping Parley Friday at Churchill Downs?
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
SMOO

Why not just put it all on one, they would only get get back 5% if one ran 4th.
SMOO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

But that's the point of being a "bridge jumper'--thinking they're locks and can't lose, so more likely it will be a bridge jumper parlay!
CBedo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
point given

could be dicey with the likely sloppy track, I'd go with RA , a zillion to show
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Bridgejuming is simply not smart IMO. Too much risk for too little of a return, regardless of who the horse is. I suspect that those who do it keep up that strategy long-enough to end up significantly on the negative side. Bridgejumpers need to be independently wealthy with lots of available "fun" money.

I can not imagine that there are more than just a few extremely rare individuals who have the skill, patience, and bankrolls to do this successfully. If you are one of those people, congratuations! For the rest of us, the old phase "Do not try this at home" should apply.
Something else to think about regarding Bridgejumping. It implies easy money and plays to the greed factor. Both are not compatible with what it takes to be successful in this hard and challenging game of handicapping.
Track Collector is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
SMOO

I would at least stick to the 2.20 min. tracks, only have to risk half as much.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

The first bridge jumper I ever witnessed was at Hollywood. This dunce borrowed TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS against the equity in his home to bet the entire thing on Convenience (the great filly who won the match race with Typecast later that season).

A seven furlong contest, one could not see the horses for a bit as they passed behind the old Sales Pavilion that sat between the chute and the clubhouse turn. I believe there were 8 or 9 in the contest and after passing that landmark one less than the field exited. SHE HAD A NOSEBLEED, first time ever out of the money as the rider (Jerry Lambert) intelligently pulled her up.

This guy actually fell to the floor and had to be revived.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
sonnyp

posted this in another thread......churchill is gutless on allowing show bets on big favorites.

doubt you'll see show betting on rachel and probably not on zenyatta either.
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Imriledup

Why would you jump on RA and get 2.10 when you could have jumped on her to place in her last start and got 2.20? (in a 4 horse field)

Last time was the time to jump.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Imriledup

Bridgejump question for anyone who might know the answer to this.

If a person wants to bet a couple hundred grand to show, how to they actually pull this off? Do they walk into their racetrack or simo facility with 200k in cash and walk to the window and plop the bag down on the counter?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
SMOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup

If a person wants to bet a couple hundred grand to show, how to they actually pull this off? Do they walk into their racetrack or simo facility with 200k in cash and walk to the window and plop the bag down on the counter?
They make you use a self-serve machine and punch it out in $2 tickets.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
GreenPlant

Would Greatest Horses Show Profit Bridgejumping?

In order to show a long term positive expectation betting a 1-20 shot, the horse would have to come in the money 20 out of 21 times just to break even. Do you think there are any horses that have shown that kind of results NOW....or in history? Who are they in your opinion?
GreenPlant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #13
kyle2227

Quote:

I have always wondered that myself. My guess is they get to the track very early and use self service machines.
kyle2227 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
Imriledup

Most of these big bets come in all at once and most times, they show up in the pools right at the end of the cycles. That can't be self service machines, it has to be some other way. There has to be some way a teller can punch, in one shot, a 50k ticket. If the teller was only able to punch the bet in with 250 increments, it would take well over 1 minute to get all that money in the pools. It all seems to come in (most times) on the last flash, all at once.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
kyle2227

Quote:
Most of these big bets come in all at once and most times, they show up in the pools right at the end of the cycles. That can't be self service machines, it has to be some other way. There has to be some way a teller can punch, in one shot, a 50k ticket. If the teller was only able to punch the bet in with 250 increments, it would take well over 1 minute to get all that money in the pools. It all seems to come in (most times) on the last flash, all at once.
At my local otb the limit per ticket is $100. So that would mean you would have to punch in a heck of a lot of ticket. I to have also noticed several occasions where the bridge jumper bets have come in at the last minute. Maybe so as to not alert the stewards? But then again many times you will just know before-hand if a horse will be bet as a bridgejumper.

I think with track permission a large win bet say for example 20k could be bet in one shot(one ticket) on a horse to win. But I think a manager would have put in the bet otherwise I assume you would have to print a ton of $100 or $250 tickets or whatever it may be to reach the target wager.

Last edited by kyle2227; 04-30-2009 at 07:15 PM.
kyle2227 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply