Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
Not surprising, payoffs were decent. Looking forward to playing Saturday if the rain holds off
I saw the first four races yesterday, good, competitive races.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #17
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
10 to 14 horse fields, ...........
Actually, 8 to 10 horse fields last night. Apparently, there's a limit of 10 starters.

I must admit the payouts are impressive. An exacta of 5-1 over 6-1 actually pays 30-1. Eureka!

Last edited by Redboard; 09-29-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #18
infrontby1

But with only six races carded each night, by time you head out there from NYC after work, eat dinner and take in a beer or two, there's only time left for a race or two.

Too damn bad they don't card more races for Fridays and Saturdays like in the past when the live races would run up to 11 PM; even later like on the big nights when they used to card the Pegasus.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #19
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrontby1
But with only six races carded each night, by time you head out there from NYC after work, eat dinner and take in a beer or two, there's only time left for a race or two.

Too damn bad they don't card more races for Fridays and Saturdays like in the past when the live races would run up to 11 PM; even later like on the big nights when they used to card the Pegasus.
$15 for GW Bridge and $16 (back and forth) for the Triboro/Whitestone/Throgs Neck.

$31 to go to the MDW now for someone like me.

They better start at 730 and finish at 12 if I go. If not, it's totally useless.

I agree.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #20
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
Actually, 8 to 10 horse fields last night. Apparently, there's a limit of 10 starters.

I must admit the payouts are impressive. An exacta of 5-1 over 6-1 actually pays 30-1. Eureka!
I think that is because the temp rail was out 10 feet.
When they built the turf course, it was not thought out well. Rail to rail is only 70 feet.
BTW, Weds night handle was only $930k
Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #21
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
$15 for GW Bridge and $16 (back and forth) for the Triboro/Whitestone/Throgs Neck.

$31 to go to the MDW now for someone like me.

They better start at 730 and finish at 12 if I go. If not, it's totally useless.

I agree.
No E Z Pass for you?
Tolls in the NY Metro area are confiscatory. Too many hands in the cookie jars of both the MTA and PA of NY/NJ....
If I still lived up there, I would have to severely cut back on my visits to Citi Field and the track....Sucks.
I meet people from LI and NJ and I say to them. I have no idea how anyone who makes less than $150k per year can afford to live anywhere near NYC or out on Long Island.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #22
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter
There is a huge problem with reduced takeout. You have to cash a ticket for the reduced takeout to matter. Wasn't so fortunate. But at least I get to feel the joy of supporting the cause.

That is how I feel. I challenge anyone to stink as bad as me picking turf races. I won't play a pick 3 with a turf race in it. I won't bet a pick 4,5, or 6 if it has more than one turf race, where I typically will play 1/3 of the field and still miss half the time. If I do hit the turf race going 4 deep in a 12 horse field
the winner usually pays $6 or less. I have even went as far as making my own complicated speed figures that will take 2 hours to handicap a full field and that didn't work. I would be better off throwing darts at the program.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #23
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

[YT="As I head to and from the Meadowlands back in the day "]OLffcVFkC8I[/YT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
No E Z Pass for you?
Tolls in the NY Metro area are confiscatory. Too many hands in the cookie jars of both the MTA and PA of NY/NJ....
If I still lived up there, I would have to severely cut back on my visits to Citi Field and the track....Sucks.
I meet people from LI and NJ and I say to them. I have no idea how anyone who makes less than $150k per year can afford to live anywhere near NYC or out on Long Island.
I hate EZPASS. Hated it from day 1. I have nothing to hide but hate to be tracked.

When I pass the cash lane, I hit the "KITT" license plate button and the fake plates get flipped over as the camera takes a shot.

Yes, if you make less than $150,000, you can't afford to fart around here as you can't afford to buy new underwear.

$5000 rents by me. It's insane.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 09-29-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #24
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
No E Z Pass for you?
No joke. I went on a week vacation in that area a few months back some of the bridges cost $15 to cross, literally highway robbery. I think tolls for the week ate up a $100.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #25
ronsmac

Just checked the handle from the first two cards. So far not so good. There's still time for big increases, but if this doesn't go over well .It may be the last time a track has a major takeout reduction.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #26
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Just checked the handle from the first two cards. So far not so good. There's still time for big increases, but if this doesn't go over well .It may be the last time a track has a major takeout reduction.
A lot of players have a snotty attitude towards betting low level turf claimers at night so handle on this might not be an all world indicator of things!
Old 09-29-2016, 11:47 PM   #27
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I thought they'd be doing a little better too, but with Monmouth down 26% this summer, who knows what's up or down in Jersey this season.

The payoffs have been nice though. Tri and super value is really good if you play those bets. I'll likely play the whole meet. Although I play it most years.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #28
pandy

I really think that running a two week thoroughbred meet at a harness track has a lot to do with the handle. I bet a lot of horse players don't even know that they started the meet. They don't advertise much.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #29
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
I thought they'd be doing a little better too, but with Monmouth down 26% this summer, who knows what's up or down in Jersey this season.

The payoffs have been nice though. Tri and super value is really good if you play those bets. I'll likely play the whole meet. Although I play it most years.
That's probably true but after the Canterbury debacle, tracks are looking for immediate impact from takeout reductions. The way the game is played today it's impossible to gauge the results of these reductions unless every single track reduced their take at the same time. Even then some really smart numbers guy would have to formulate rebated players into that equation. My guess is this will be the last experiment of it's kind.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #30
AltonKelsey
Veteran

We may need to see a MAJOR like Cali or NY do a takeout drop, in order to gauge impact. And even then it may take time.

Seems slightly lower handle not enough to attract more play at smaller venues. They would have to go to 10% to get the attention of the big boys.

I saw people posting payoffs that exacta's were paying 75 and not 50 because of the 15% takeout. yeah.

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 09-30-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Closed Thread