Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
HUSKER55

High gas prices thanks to the democrats

Bush asked congress to allow drilling to offset prices aand to lessen our dependency on foreign oil and the Democrats rejected and so does Obama.

It is on CNN.

I am voting for McCain because he wants to open our fields. It is the right thing to do.

husker55

HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
headhawg
crusty old guy

Hmm...maybe. But do you really think that will lower fuel prices? I don't. The powers-that-be (Big Business/Oil companies) will say that the problem is that there aren't enough refineries or that demand is still higher than supply...yada, yada, yada. All the while the fat cats get richer and "middle" America gets squeezed once again.

Here's a real idea. How about some really inventive company actually creates a cheap gasoline alternative? Oh, and they would have to have a management/executive team in place with real balls so that they don't get tempted by the mega-dollars that the oil companies would throw at them to buy them off.

BTW, whatever happened to the alternative fuel research that the oil companies did in the 70's during the last gas crisis when (Nixon?) gave them subsidies to do so? Oh yeah -- the $$$ went right into their pockets. Bitches.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
delayjf

How do you feel about allowing the Chinese to drill off our coast while the US sits on its hands.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
How do you feel about allowing the Chinese to drill off our coast while the US sits on its hands.
I think old Darth Cheney just disavowed this talking point.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
HUSKER55

As I have posted on other threads, those "inventors" from the '70's came to an early retirement thanks to big oil. Most of those patents were bought by the giant oil companies and guess where they are at. Nixon tried, but it blew up in his face and no one has bothered with it since.

My friend served in Germany and her 351 Cleveland got 45 MPG back then but they wouldn't allow her to bring that car back to the US. Why do you suppose that is?

These damn politicians all need to be shot as I respect damn few of them. Fact is, off the top of my head, I don't know who,if any, I would salvage if given the opportunity.

All I know is America is being screwed. If America doesn't do something to correct this then America will fall without one shot being fired.

Maybe the drilling won't solve todays problems but it will down the road.

Now, unless you expect all Americans to keep wearing knee pads, don't you guys think we should be for doing something now?

Build all the windmills you want you will still never generate all the power needed to run this country. Biofuels won't either. Help yes, solve the problem,...not in our lifetime. If you think otherwise you may be listening to everybody's good friend Jimmy Beam.

Here is the point. We need leaders with the kahunnas to say no and make it stick. We don't have that. There isn't one on the horizon.

Like everyone else here, I am trying to figure out what to do.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
I think old Darth Cheney just disavowed this talking point.

Cuba and China, as reported yesterday on CNN are forming a partnership to drill off the U.S. coast line. The Pelosi dems don't want U.S. drilling to compete with Pelosi's communist Chinese benefactors. The discusion, about evironment protection, is over because China is going to drill off the Florida coast.

And everyday it sounds more and more like Jimmy's second term. Just a few momoents ago Gov. Richardson, an ardent Obama supporter, sounded like a Jimmy Carter spokesperson saying that Americans may have to sacrifice. The famous Carter energy plan Americans have to sacrifice, but don't build nuclear power plants, don't build oil refineries, don't drill for oil. All we have to do is sacrifice.

And the Kennedy's won't allow wind power because those ugly windmills will spoil the view.

We will sacrifice while communist China, the worlds largest and most notoriuos pollluter will rape the envrionment off the U.S. coast to obatin energy. Good plan Jimmy, uh I mean Obama.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 06-18-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
We are the ONLY country that prohibits off shore drilling. The dems WANT high gas prices and will do whatever it takes to keep them high. The can't even get their stories straight as to whether more drilling will ower prices or not. The whole party is a bunch of lying nitwits or morons. UpChuck Shummer and Bin Losi change thier stories daily. Both are traitors to the American people and should be impeached for gross incompetance and stupidity.

Last edited by Tom; 06-18-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
hcap

Once again the right is wrong.

http://www.kypost.com/content/wcposh...2-c786594d5372

Jean Schmidt Spreads Urban Legend On House Floor

Last Update: 6/17 11:17 am
Congresswoman Jean Schmidt is being criticized for spreading an urban legend while speaking on the U.S. House floor.

The 2nd District Republican claimed China is drilling for oil off Florida's coast.

Vice President Dick Cheney has also made that same claim.

The problem is, it's not true. Claims that China is drilling for oil off Florida's coast amount to urban legend, experts say.

More
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...7O8vAD919066O3

More
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...l_and_cuba.php
Old 06-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So they would like you to believe......
Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
So they would like you to believe......
Remember we had a discussion recently where I said you rarely post links out to the real world, but rather rely on your opinions. You mentioned something along the lines that's what "Real Men Do" when posting on blogs. Not some nambsy pansy nerdy external links like I attempt. As I remember you said anyone can DO THAT!

Prepare for another of my nerdy tricks. A cartoon. I would like someone to explain this to you in more detail. Speak to Homer

Old 06-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #11
ddog

Quote:
FINE, like everything else they will sell it to us and we will borrow the money from them to buy it.

More b.s. that sadly leads to the "easy way out" that so much of the U.S. wants/needs to believe.

I come to realize more and more every day that we do not have the stones for it anymore, we want to blame everyone while changing nothing.

No muss , no fuss, don't worry, be happy, believe something will save you.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2008, 01:47 AM   #12
NJ Stinks

Gas was an average $1.72 a gallon the week of March 10, 2003. Gas averaged a $1.20 a gallon in March 2002.

The Iraq War began on March 20, 2003.

To blame the high price of gas today on Democrats is to believe in Cinderella and the tooth fairy.

I'd suggest that people turn off the radio once in a while and think it out on your own. But that may be perceived as unpatriotic.
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2008, 03:20 AM   #13
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSKER55
Bush asked congress to allow drilling to offset prices aand to lessen our dependency on foreign oil and the Democrats rejected and so does Obama.

It is on CNN.

I am voting for McCain because he wants to open our fields. It is the right thing to do.

husker55

McCain is just pandering. Only believe this self-professed "maverick" as fas as you think you can throw him.

Meanwhile, the dimwits over on the other side of the aisle keep saying that digging now isn't going to do anything soon to help with the inflated price situation. Now, as difficult as it is for me to say this -- they're probably right. Why? Because we're soooooo far behind the curve on this drilling issue, it might indeed take us 5 to 10 years to realize any meaningful positive price impact. (Our not-too-sharp government should have had the foresight about a quarter of a century ago to see our need for drilling for oil! They should have done that and researched and developed new technology that would eventually become affordable. The one policy does not preclude the other! But I digress.) But putting the U.S. behind the eight ball in a very bad way is precisely what the Libs and their environmentalist lobbyist buddues want to do. And the best and fastest way to to bring the U.S. to its knees, economically and politically, is to make us pay through the nose for the lifeblood of this nation. Energy is to our economy what blood is to our bodies. Just like the human body cannot sustain itself for long without a healthy blood supply, neither can this nation sustain its economic health apart from reasonably priced energy.

Only a government who does not have the best interests of the People at heart would have allowed this situation to get so out of hand. Only power and money hungry government officials would adopt an energy policy that would move the U.S. farther away from self-reliance and closer to dependence for much of our oil from not-so-friendly nations. How can we, as the largest consumer of oil on the planet, not want to move closer and closer to energy self-reliance? These are the kinds of questions and issues that should have been raised 20 years or so ago.

Of course, the Libs' answer to our current situation is tax the "windfall profits" of the oil companies -- as though this unjustified punitive action would help Joe Blow at the gas pump.

Let me ask you Libs something. Let's say I'm a widget wholesaler. And 5 years ago, as a middleman (which is what the oil companies are) I bought my little widgets for 20 cents a pop. And I turned around a resold each one for a 10% profit, making a 2 cent profit. But now I have to buy my widgets for $1.00 each due to market conditions. Selling them at the same 10% margin will now reap me a 10 cent profit per widget -- a whopping 5 times the profit I made 5 years ago. But how is this to be considered "price gouging" or "excessive profit-taking" or a "windfall" profit? If the oil companies are reselling their refined products at or very near the profit margin rate of previous years when oil was cheap, then how are oil companies taking excessive profits?

In closing, it's always easy for the elite, pseudo-intellectual snobbish ruling class to tell the People (or should I say the proletariat?) to be prepared to sacrifice, most especially when said rulers have no intentions of practicing what they preach.

Boxcar
Old 06-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
ddog

Here are some attempt at facts to peruse on energy.

The problem with "we could have done it long ago", is that the "free market" as you can see from the study had no incentive to provide more oil for any extended period of time.

The current spike in oil costs is not drilling related.
Hard to understand I guess, but it's not.
The future price may , but not the short term.

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...eview_2008.pdf

Last edited by ddog; 06-19-2008 at 10:13 AM.
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
HUSKER55

Ya know guys and girls, it is really easy to point fingers. I otta know cause I do it as well as any body else. I mean it is real easy to say Obama can't control his own house how do you expect him to control a congress that has already decided not to drill especially if he is their leader and is saying the same thing?

I thought of a couple solutions to our problem. Don't know how to make an impact but here we go.

The states need to take control of their own affairs and tell the Federal government to stay out. Think about it for a minute. Each state would control the drilling for oil. Each state could get rid of the "free trade zones". Each state controling it's own ship as far as entering the market place. Keep the Feds out of the decision making process and make it local.

A national sales tax that no one is exempt from.

A mandatory cut in staffs of 25% for federal government, ergo, more people paying in and less being paid out.

a line item veto for all budgets. Think about that one.

Consolidation of related programs along with a mandatory 25% cut in the number of programs.

Take all of these savings and invest in alternative energies. One alone will not do the trick. We need all we can find. Solar, wind, biofuel,etc.

My thinking is that the poor civilians can't defeat the big dog but we can knock some teeth out and make the bite less.

What are your thoughts?

husker55