Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #976
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Sure feels like Shared Belief wins that race without that incident, he was only beaten a couple lengths if my memory is correct.
He lost by 3 3/4, but he lost position in what turned into a merry-go-round race partly because Moreno (the other speed) got taken out along with him. Had that not happen, he would have gotten better position in a race with where Moreno was almost certainly gunning and at least would have made it tougher on Bayern.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:36 PM   #977
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Sure feels like Shared Belief wins that race without that incident, he was only beaten a couple lengths if my memory is correct.
I believe he would've won w/o that happening but you never know.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #978
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblin4ever View Post
I believe he would've won w/o that happening but you never know.
I was HUGE fan. I was sick when we lost him.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:45 PM   #979
classhandicapper

Baffert is really trying to tighten the screws on Gamine with her last two works.

111 2/5 and 58 1/5.

That's way faster than she's been working lately.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-15-2021 at 03:47 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #980
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Baffert is really trying to tighten the screws on Gamine with her last two works.

111 2/5 and 58 1/5.

That's way faster than she's been working lately.
Drugs must be taking effect....
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #981
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Drugs must be taking effect....
Therapeutics!
Old 08-27-2021, 05:35 PM   #982
classhandicapper

In the 4th at Saratoga, Baffert’s Montebello got bumped hard at the start by a horse veering in. A little Karma? Another few in major stakes and I think we can call it even.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #983
dilanesp

Seeing Pinehurst win the Del Mar Futurity impressively yesterday, I wonder what Baffert's endgame here is. He's suspended by Churchill Downs for 2 years. I'm sure his owners would want to point a horse like that for the Derby.

Is the plan to do a trainer switch right before the Derby next year? To bring a lawsuit right before the race and hope to get a judge who is sports-happy and will ignore the deliberate delaying tactic (which should normally be a ground to deny an injunction). To just skip the Derby?
Old 09-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #984
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Seeing Pinehurst win the Del Mar Futurity impressively yesterday, I wonder what Baffert's endgame here is. He's suspended by Churchill Downs for 2 years. I'm sure his owners would want to point a horse like that for the Derby.

Is the plan to do a trainer switch right before the Derby next year? To bring a lawsuit right before the race and hope to get a judge who is sports-happy and will ignore the deliberate delaying tactic (which should normally be a ground to deny an injunction). To just skip the Derby?
Speed figure wise that horse isn't much IMO so I think it will be a non-factor. The Futurity and the Debutante were mediocre.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #985
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Speed figure wise that horse isn't much IMO so I think it will be a non-factor. The Futurity and the Debutante were mediocre.
As a handicapping matter, I trust your judgment, but owners of the open-lengths winner of the Del Mar Futurity trained by Bob Baffert traditionally point to the Kentucky Derby. So my question still seems relevant.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #986
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
As a handicapping matter, I trust your judgment, but owners of the open-lengths winner of the Del Mar Futurity trained by Bob Baffert traditionally point to the Kentucky Derby. So my question still seems relevant.
I'm sure they'll point that way, but they are a long way off and the hopes will probably be dashed long before. At this point he only can't run in Kentucky, he can prep for the races in SoCal.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:45 PM   #987
dilanesp

Quote:
I'm sure they'll point that way, but they are a long way off and the hopes will probably be dashed long before. At this point he only can't run in Kentucky, he can prep for the races in SoCal.
Which is why I asked my question. What's the plan if the horse wins the Santa Anita Derby or something? Trainer switch? Last minute lawsuit? Skip the Derby?
Old 09-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #988
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Which is why I asked my question. What's the plan if the horse wins the Santa Anita Derby or something? Trainer switch? Last minute lawsuit? Skip the Derby?
I'm sure they'll be a trainer switch. Churchill isn't going to want a worthy horse missing the race. We've seen plenty of switches from Baffert already in Following Sea, Life Is Good, even the horse he owns Du Jour.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #989
Andy Asaro

Quote:
I'm sure they'll be a trainer switch. Churchill isn't going to want a worthy horse missing the race. We've seen plenty of switches from Baffert already in Following Sea, Life Is Good, even the horse he owns Du Jour.
I think that Churchill is gonna change their minds after the urine sample somehow proves that it was an ointment and not an injection. It was obvious over the weekend that the Industry intends to wash his "sins" away
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #990
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
I think that Churchill is gonna change their minds after the urine sample somehow proves that it was an ointment and not an injection. It was obvious over the weekend that the Industry intends to wash his "sins" away
And this was part of what I was adverting to.

Here's another way of putting it. If you owned a decent 2 year old right now, would you hire Baffert to train it? I would think for many people, the answer would be "no" because of the Churchill ban, UNLESS you think there's going to be some way to defeat or circumvent the ban.

I could totally see Churchill finding some reason to relax the ban, given the KHRC has left them out there on a limb by not disqualifying the horse or suspending Baffert.

And that's very sad. But the owners may be betting on it.