Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-12-2022, 07:15 PM   #16
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Only if you are receiving social security. If not, your enrollment is not automatic.
I can see that, I can't see not getting social security when it is your time. I knew someone who was not putting in for it on time and planned to at 70, the guy went to the grave peaceful at 67.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2022, 07:28 PM   #17
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
I can see that, I can't see not getting social security when it is your time. I knew someone who was not putting in for it on time and planned to at 70, the guy went to the grave peaceful at 67.

When to actually start receiving SS is a whole other topic. At 68 I have not yet started to take SS. If I happen to have an early demise I can assure you that any SS that I missed taking would not have affected my life or lifestyle. However, if I live into my nineties or longer my SS will provide me with substantially more income than if I had started taking it early.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:56 PM   #18
fast4522

Life is all about choices, I hear yours. I just thought this subject was way more worthy than more than half of the stuff posted.I also thought the interest might be higher.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:05 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I’m getting there.

How much money can you make and still get Social Security?
Old 06-12-2022, 09:38 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’m getting there.

How much money can you make and still get Social Security?

You can make as much as you want as long as you have reached full retirement age. That should be 67.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 06-12-2022 at 09:43 PM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2022, 10:04 PM   #21
fast4522

I have heard stories, at the racetrack 25 years ago from a guy over 70 saying once you hit 70 you will pay no taxes.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:07 PM   #22
Bustin Stones

If you had a pc you could look up the IRS ruling on that (eyeroll).
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2022, 11:41 PM   #23
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Life is all about choices, I hear yours. I just thought this subject was way more worthy than more than half of the stuff posted.I also thought the interest might be higher.
Interest goes up for the 3 months before a person turns 65, then fades. LOL
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2022, 04:28 AM   #24
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
If you had a pc you could look up the IRS ruling on that (eyeroll).
I did that…..what a hodgepodge of shit to read thru
Old 06-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #25
olddaddy

Look through the site and call them to get advice . They get their cut from the insurance companies, they are a broker of many. They really dont steer you to a particular company. The only caveat is you will be on your own when it comes to medicare D (the rx plan).

https://boomerbenefits.com/
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2022, 07:59 AM   #26
Bustin Stones

No, no, no, you don't actually go to the IRS site. All you'll see is lawyer speak there. Just type your question into your browser.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:03 AM   #27
HottalkersinKY

To me working all your life to get your ss paying in with each check you draw
and when you turn 65 if you are drawing ss they start taking $170 out of your check each month no matter what making it harder to make it.Then look around to all these people getting free insurance and thats a major problem to me
HottalkersinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2022, 05:14 PM   #28
Bustin Stones

My understanding is that all Medicare ever guaranteed was hospital insurance, which is not deducted. The 170 is "part b" which is other medical care, including doctor bills. You don't have to take that if you want to make other arrangements. Or you can trade that charge in with another insurer like Med Mutual and get an advantage plan. Med Mutual back charges the govt for some or all of that 170 to cover your part b bills.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #29
Bustin Stones

Furthermore, I believe that once your advantage plan insurer takes on plan b, they also take on the coordination of your part a insuring and seek back charge from the govt for hospital bills so that the patient doesn't have to coordinate between 2 payers.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:34 AM   #30
CosmicWon

@Bustin Stones is pretty accurate re: Medicare Parts A & B.

I'm far from Medicare age so I can't speak to the ease of signing up but I do work in Medical Administration and deal with insurance companies all day so I can give some advice regarding Medicare, Advantage plans, Secondary/Supplements, and HMOs (which are on the rise again).

I HIGHLY recommend getting and keeping the red, white, and blue card at all costs. You definitely want Part B but Part A can help you big time if a hospital stay or inpatient procedure is required. The deductible for Part A is $1240/yr; Part B is $214/yr.

And yes, Rx costs are included in that deductible (although there's that weird "donut hole" provision where Medicare pays up to a point, then you pay, then Medicare kicks in again. It's an odd W-era "political compromise" that helps no one realistically".

Both Plans A & B are 80/20 plans for coinsurance once you've hit your deductible. You pay 20% out of pocket for anything else the remainder of the year, Medicare pays 80%.

PLUS, with "traditional" Medicare you need almost no prior-authorizations for procedures, surgeries, Rx's, etc. All that's required is 72hrs between office visit and procedure so Dr's don't get too "cut happy" and allows for proper charting/documentation/prevents funny business. That is NOT the case with Medicare Advantage plans, which often do make you play "mother may I?" and request prior-authorization and that can take weeks and are often handled by an outsourced nincompoop. There is also a Nationwide standardization with Medicare you don't necessarily get with an Advantage plan (like if you live in NY, but break a leg in Maine, everyone knows what the reimbursements are and care provisions with the red, white, and blue card whereas that might not be the case if you have Humana Medicare).

Medicare does NOT, though, cover medical supplies like compression hose or equipment like crutches. (Frankly no insurance pays for that stuff unless you have an HSA.)

It's fine to see what the Medicare brokers have to sell you so you know your options, but be aware they get paid by commission from the insurance companies themselves. If you need to have a Medicare/Medicaid combination plan, however, those brokers can be a big help in that situation,

You SHOULD definitely get a secondary insurance, because if picks up that 20% coinsurance and just really simplifies your budgeting. Plus, they all follow Medicare rules, so once again you're in good shape regarding coordination of benefits and not needing pre-auth for procedures. Good Secondary (supplemental) insurances are Mutual of Omaha, Anthem, and AARP.

OK, thanks for coming to my TED Talk on Medicare usage and recommendations. It's as boring as it sounds but it's important for elder-care budgeting and, most importantly, staying healthy--so you hopefully won't need to use much health insurance! Insurance companies are not your friends and want you to be an uneducated, unhealthy liability because that keeps them earning profits.

Medicare doesn't "operate" (bad pun) that way and they actually help keep costs down for everybody without sacrificing quality of or access to healthcare. Don't give up your red, white, and blue card if at possible because it's extremely hard to get it back if you relinquish it in favor of an Advantage Plan.
CosmicWon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply