Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #31
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Jeremy Rose on Afleet Alex in the 2005 Preakness , one of the most perilous episodes in the history of the Triple Crown. Somehow Rose was able to hold on and Afleet Alex managed to stay on his feet, when the horse’s forelegs buckled and his nose came within inches of hitting the ground after front-running Scrappy T sideswiped him turning for home. Went on to win by 4 3/4 lengths. Amazing! Never forget it.
I was there that day, in my poor boy seat way up the stretch at Pimlico. It happened basically right in front of me.
It's the greatest sporting moment I've ever witnessed live.
The crowd gasped, then went silent, and then ROARED like no crowd I've ever been in (and I've been to many loud nights at Tiger Stadium watching LSU, including the earthquake game vs Auburn)....I still get chills when I think of it.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:40 PM   #32
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysonby View Post
After the race, Rose was asked how he managed to stay on. He said, he (Afleet Alex) is just that athletic and I was just that scared.
Nine out of ten times, the horse goes down or the jockey falls off.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 PM   #33
MJC922

I'll put up two. Angel on Spend a Buck in the '85 Derby. Few have the guts to air it out on the front by that much in the Derby. Went to a drive on the turn after 45 and change to bottom out the field and then held him together strong in the stretch. Horses ran scared for Angel. He will always be the best I've ever seen.

Adding one more to that, the '87 Big 'Cap with Broad Brush. Guided outside early to avoid kickback, Angel kept Shoe directly in his sights the whole trip, very strong urging to get up. I can't think of a single other rider who would've got enough out of that horse there. Flat out.

I believe Woody once said the '74 Derby with Cannonade was the best he's ever seen. That was a few years before my time unfortunately and the footage online isn't the best but I have no doubt Angel delivered as few if any ever will.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:24 AM   #34
tubesockshakur

1997 travers, just the emotional circumstances surrounding Chris McCarron, his mother had just passed and he got up in a stretch duel against Jerry Bailey.
tubesockshakur is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #35
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
I'll put up two. Angel on Spend a Buck in the '85 Derby. Few have the guts to air it out on the front by that much in the Derby. Went to a drive on the turn after 45 and change to bottom out the field and then held him together strong in the stretch. Horses ran scared for Angel. He will always be the best I've ever seen.

Adding one more to that, the '87 Big 'Cap with Broad Brush. Guided outside early to avoid kickback, Angel kept Shoe directly in his sights the whole trip, very strong urging to get up. I can't think of a single other rider who would've got enough out of that horse there. Flat out.

I believe Woody once said the '74 Derby with Cannonade was the best he's ever seen. That was a few years before my time unfortunately and the footage online isn't the best but I have no doubt Angel delivered as few if any ever will.
To this day the most impressive race I've ever seen. I was leaning back in a chair at Longacres and I almost fell over on my back when he made that far turn move. Awesome.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #36
westny

Jerry Bailey 1993 BC Classic on Arcangues 99-1

westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #37
Scanman

Michelle Payne on Prince of Penzance in the 2015 Melbourne Cup.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply