Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
highnote

Name a better rock album than "Who's Next" by The Who

There is no filler. "My Wife" is the weakest song on the album, but it is easily John Entwhistle's best. The lyrics are a hoot!

Side One opens with "Baba O'Riley". Next is "Bargain", followed by "Love Ain't For Keeping", and then ends with "My Wife".

Side Two: "Getting in Tune", "Going Mobile", "Behind Blue Eyes" and "Won't Get Fooled Again".

This album is so strong that "Won't Get Fooled Again" is the last track on the album! AND the song is eight and a half minutes long!!!

Name a better rock album.

Last edited by highnote; 04-28-2019 at 12:28 AM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 12:22 AM   #2
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Pink Floyd: The Wall

Van Hallen: II

Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain

Pearl Jam: 10

Guns and Roses: Appetite for Destruction

Just for starters
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 AM   #3
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Rolling Stones: Some Girls and Sticky Fingers
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 12:36 AM   #4
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post

Prince and the Revolution: Purple Rain

Pearl Jam: 10

Guns and Roses: Appetite for Destruction

Just for starters
I'd put Wish You Where Here... Animals and Dark Side of The Moon. Ahead of The Wall

Add...

Neil Young Live Rust to great albums.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:52 AM   #5
highnote

All great albums. I will now have to go and listen to all of them to jog my memory.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:15 AM   #6
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Probably not a better introductory song to an album other than Alive.

I was a sophomore plebe in college and they played on The Hill in Lawrence, KS (University of Kansas). IT was greatness.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:29 AM   #7
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
All great albums. I will now have to go and listen to all of them to jog my memory.

Greatness.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Rolling Stones: Some Girls and Sticky Fingers
Some Girls......the summer of 78.......what a time.

Was living with a buddy in our first real house (not apt) and with 4 bedrooms etc it turned into a party house of infinite fun and games. We loved getting drunk and singing this one.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:46 AM   #9
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Some Girls......the summer of 78.......what a time.

Was living with a buddy in our first real house (not apt) and with 4 bedrooms etc it turned into a party house of infinite fun and games. We loved getting drunk and singing this one.
ttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-2vgbk6w4

In the Spring, Summer, Winter, and Fall in 1988-1993, we played this song.\

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 04-28-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:01 AM   #10
taxicab

taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 02:20 AM   #11
highnote

Quote:
The Wall is a much different record than Who's Next. The Wall is a rock opera, but it's not in the same league as Tommy. And Towshend was a much better songwriter by the time he did Who's Next.

There is a lot of filler in The Wall. "Empty Spaces" is definitely filler as is Don't Leave Me Know. They're boring. The whole first side just plods along until "Young Lust". There are some nice melodies, but a lot of droning. I find the record depressing. The theme from Another Brick in the Wall is resprised throughout side one. Towshend did it better in Tommy and Quadrophenia and McCartney did it better in Band on the Run. Side Three/Disc Two starts out promising. Hey You starts out as a very nice tune, but then meanders off into chaos. There Anybody Out There is not very strong. Vera is filler. Bring the Boys Back Home is filler. Every song on Who's Next is strong. If you want to get stoned, sit on the sofa, and chill out, The Wall might be a good choice. Tommy and Quadrophenia are better rock operas.

If you want high energy then nothing can match Who's Next. Power guitar, great melodies, and great vocals. Every song is interesting. Who's Next is 44 minutes of great rock. It's hard to write one good 3 minute song. Towshend wrote 44 minutes.

The Wall is 88 minutes. It's too difficult to write 88 minutes of great music. Floyd made a good attempt, but it was too big of a job.

Towshend understood how hard it was to write a rock opera. Who's Next started out as a rock opera, but Towshend wisely shortened it to an 8 song record.

Who's Next and The Wall are two very different records, but, on the whole, Who's Next is better than The Wall.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:24 AM   #12
jay68802

??
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 02:32 AM   #13
highnote

Quote:

Eddie Van Halen is a great guitarist, but he never wrote anything as good as "Behind Blue Eyes" or "Won't Get Fooled Again".

The album opens up with a cover of You're No Good. They did it justice, but so did Linda Ronstadt.

Van Halen II is only their second record. Who's Next was The Who's 5th record. Townshend's writing (especially lyrically) on Who's Next was much more advanced that the relatively young Van Halen. Dance The Night Away is a nice tune, but not a great literary statement.

Behind Blue Eyes:

When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

And if I swallow anything evil
Put you're finger down my throat
And if I shiver, please give me a blanket
Keep me warm, let me wear you're coat

Easy decision. Who's Next is better than Van Halen II.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:34 AM   #14
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
The Wall is a much different record than Who's Next. The Wall is a rock opera, but it's not in the same league as Tommy. And Towshend was a much better songwriter by the time he did Who's Next.

There is a lot of filler in The Wall. "Empty Spaces" is definitely filler as is Don't Leave Me Know. They're boring. The whole first side just plods along until "Young Lust". There are some nice melodies, but a lot of droning. I find the record depressing. The theme from Another Brick in the Wall is resprised throughout side one. Towshend did it better in Tommy and Quadrophenia and McCartney did it better in Band on the Run. Side Three/Disc Two starts out promising. Hey You starts out as a very nice tune, but then meanders off into chaos. There Anybody Out There is not very strong. Vera is filler. Bring the Boys Back Home is filler. Every song on Who's Next is strong. If you want to get stoned, sit on the sofa, and chill out, The Wall might be a good choice. Tommy and Quadrophenia are better rock operas.

If you want high energy then nothing can match Who's Next. Power guitar, great melodies, and great vocals. Every song is interesting. Who's Next is 44 minutes of great rock. It's hard to write one good 3 minute song. Towshend wrote 44 minutes.

The Wall is 88 minutes. It's too difficult to write 88 minutes of great music. Floyd made a good attempt, but it was too big of a job.

Towshend understood how hard it was to write a rock opera. Who's Next started out as a rock opera, but Towshend wisely shortened it to an 8 song record.

Who's Next and The Wall are two very different records, but, on the whole, Who's Next is better than The Wall.

Maybe. but this was pretty incredible.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:37 AM   #15
jay68802

Opens with a cover... how about funeral bells?
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply