Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 06:28 AM   #61
Dahoss9698
Veteran

The one phenomenon I find interesting is all of the Twitter trolls (basically EMD or someone in his loser clique) that had been saying on air talent should be let go in order to save money to keep the TV channel are now the most upset by this.

People are weird.

Again, I don't know Jason (doesn't seem like the people the most upset online did either) but it's terrible anytime someone loses their job. I wish him well and imagine we'll be seeing him in some other arena.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #62
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd
Sports eye--remember it well
Jack Cohen owner and the man that brought Sports Eye to this world, one of the very best persons you will ever meet.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #63
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So hard work and company loyalty get you.....screwed.

Classless act, IMHO.
Glad I am not a NYRA customer and never will be.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #64
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

Classless act, IMHO.
Welcome to 2017....Company loyalty means nothing. The guy lived and breathed NT racing and seemed to recall every race he ever watched.

With all this racino revenues, what is with the layoffs of quality
dedicated employees?

I think it was EMD who said, someones bonus was on the line. That is usually how things work today. Bonuses based on KPI's ( Key Performance Indicators), one being employee expenses and salaries. Meet individual KPI's and get rewarded with bonuses for each one met.

Hang in there Jason. Things have a way of working out for the best.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #65
westny

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

Classless act, IMHO.
Canned after 18 years at NYRA. Blewitt was entertaining and informative.
Problem for Blewitt is that he was not in a "union" or a "free lance handicapper" When useless suits looked around to reduce "payroll" and "pensions"...Blewitt was sacrificial lamb.

I go to Belmont is spring and fall. Last time there, tables in backyard, again covered with bird shit. Disgusting.
Went to NYRA office and "demanded to see exec in charge of "grounds". You'd thunk I asked for 100k free money. Two secretaries in office looked panicked. Gave me lip service until I "demanded the name" or I was heading to president's office.

When it was obvious I wasn't leaving without speaking to "exec in charge of Building/grounds maintenance", typically and literally, a suit slinked out of the adjoining office. I wasn't leaving with out an explanation. Couldn't look me in the face when I said, " bird shit on tables is disgrace"

Suit said to noone in particular, "where is XYZ" and he ran out the door....literally. That is a typical NYRA executive...a useless suit making 6 figures who can't keep tables free of bird shit. : and he ran away when called out by me but Blewitt is canned after 18 years so Kay can tell a corrupt NYracing board, "we are reducing expenses"
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #66
Robert Fischer
clean money

Blewitt is a competent professional. Was a great 'straight man' in the NYRA act for as long as I remember.

This looks really bad following the decision to cut NYRA Network. Maybe these were two totally separate (random) decisions, but the justifications given for the NYRA network decision do not agree with the Blewitt decision.

Blewitt seems like a class act, who will land on his feet, moving forward.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #67
Garyinseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
The one phenomenon I find interesting is all of the Twitter trolls (basically EMD or someone in his loser clique) that had been saying on air talent should be let go in order to save money to keep the TV channel are now the most upset by this.

People are weird.

Again, I don't know Jason (doesn't seem like the people the most upset online did either) but it's terrible anytime someone loses their job. I wish him well and imagine we'll be seeing him in some other arena.

Kind of surprised to see some freaking out over this (Not EMD......he is by far the most irrational and unstable person I have seen on any of these horse boards......puts some of the lunatics from the old DRF board to shame. Saw he somewhat took credit for Blewitt losing his job...priceless ..EMD.....the gift that keeps giving ).

But as far a Blewitt. Seems like a great guy and all, but handicapping wise he really didn't bring much to the table. Was good with bringing up bloodlines and all, but most people who watch want the important info/angles that you get from the other guys on the NYRA telecast. He really didn't give that. If you look at the current roster on NYRA, when it came to handicapping he was the last man on the totem pole.

It sucks he lost his job, but most people experience that in their life at some point. Hopefully the guy bounces back.
Garyinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #68
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by westny
Canned after 18 years at NYRA. Blewitt was entertaining and informative.
Problem for Blewitt is that he was not in a "union" or a "free lance handicapper" When useless suits looked around to reduce "payroll" and "pensions"...Blewitt was sacrificial lamb.

I go to Belmont is spring and fall. Last time there, tables in backyard, again covered with bird shit. Disgusting.
Went to NYRA office and "demanded to see exec in charge of "grounds". You'd thunk I asked for 100k free money. Two secretaries in office looked panicked. Gave me lip service until I "demanded the name" or I was heading to president's office.

When it was obvious I wasn't leaving without speaking to "exec in charge of Building/grounds maintenance", typically and literally, a suit slinked out of the adjoining office. I wasn't leaving with out an explanation. Couldn't look me in the face when I said, " bird shit on tables is disgrace"

Suit said to noone in particular, "where is XYZ" and he ran out the door....literally. That is a typical NYRA executive...a useless suit making 6 figures who can't keep tables free of bird shit. : and he ran away when called out by me but Blewitt is canned after 18 years so Kay can tell a corrupt NYracing board, "we are reducing expenses"
I'm glad you did that. I'm not man enough but you were not out of line bringing it to their attention.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #69
Si2see

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
TLG who normally tweets a lot (in my short experience), hasn't tweeted a thing in 7 hours. Maybe he's upset over losing his buddy. This is so sad....I feel for Jason and everyone around him.
This could be the case, or could it be that it was in part TLG decision ?
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #70
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
That's 1 of my points with my last post. Not the #1 point as my # 1 point was that is must be difficult for many people who saw him day in and day out for almost 20 years.....TLG worked with him for so long, so I'm sure it him hard. Shoot, I'm sure the cameraperson, who sees them behind the scenes must feel bad for this kid. He literally has such a positive demeanor, you can't not feel bad for him. I mean, since he loves racing so much, NYRA racing so much, how does he ever come back into the track as a patron. He will forever feel the burn of this. My heart bleeds for him. My other small point was, I would've expected NYRA (especially on a race day) to have a press release, a send off and I definitely would expect TLG to tweet out a sincere thank you or something similar. By him not tweeting, it tells me he's upset and I don't blame him. That's just my best guess at what's going on. I wish it was a saturday, I'd ask a few birdies what they know, on track.
I have no idea who this Jason person is, or TLG. But if someone's worked somewhere for 20 years, he isn't a kid, and not many adults like being called a kid.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #71
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2see
This could be the case, or could it be that it was in part TLG decision ?
Yeah...that's probably it...they worked together for YEARS...no problemo...

And you ascribe WAY too much power to TLG...I guess he was responsible for killing the racing channel in NYC? He's also able to regulate track maintenance, make takeout decisions, and everything else...

I'll give you one REAL GOOD REASON why TLG might not be tweeting about it...he's bored with the ****ING TROLL RESPONSES he knows he's going to get back and doesn't want to give these losers the satisfaction.

I mean, did you check out any of the twitter and facebook entries on the Blewitt situation? ALL the Andy trolls are out in full force, not talking about Jason, but trolling Andy big time...

I honestly don't know why Andy bothers with twitter...like I said, that place is a bigger cesspool then PaceAdvantage....
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #72
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
I have no idea who this Jason person is, or TLG. But if someone's worked somewhere for 20 years, he isn't a kid, and not many adults like being called a kid.
No , he's not a kid. And he's devoted his entire adult life to NYRA. Seems odd they'd throw him under the bus for a few bucks.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #73
burnsy
self medicated

That's too bad, he doesn't know me from Adam but my cronies and I often bet at the same bank of machines at Saratoga that he used. Seems like a nice guy that really loves horse racing.

Its just another sign of the times racing is in. I posted in the FL thread and the "shut the NYRA" channel down thread. If no one is going to see the show offline, how many staff do you need? That's above my pay grade but I can figure it out. They do that move on the show and act like everyone will still be watching, when even NYRA and this Kay character know its not the truth. There are millions of people in NYC, the fan base, especially in the city, is older, less viewers, smaller production, less staff. Save a few bucks , to look good (for the big fire sale or to hold on so that NYS can milk the crap out of it) but terribly short sighted for the future of the game.............I like to golf.....par for the course. They hire "head hunters" and call them "Former Cruise Directors".......... Bottom line 21, customer service goose egg..... More to come.........

Last edited by burnsy; 01-06-2017 at 03:08 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #74
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
That's too bad, he doesn't know me from Adam but my cronies and I often bet at the same bank of machines at Saratoga that he used. Seems like a nice guy that really loves horse racing.

Its just another sign of the times racing is in. I posted in the FL thread and the "shut the NYRA" channel down thread. If no one is going to see the show offline, how many staff do you need? That's above my pay grade but I can figure it out. They do that move on the show and act like everyone will still be watching, when even NYRA and this Kay character know its not the truth. There are millions of people in NYC, the fan base, especially in the city, is older, less viewers, smaller production, less staff. Save a few bucks , to look good (for the big fire sale or to hold on so that NYS can milk the crap out of it) but terribly short sighted for the future of the game.............I like to golf.....par for the course. They hire "head hunters" and call them "Cruise Directors".......... Bottom line 21, customer service goose egg..... More to come.........
When the NYRA channel went down, it was billed here as a more efficient use of funds and technology. Everyone can switch over to HD feeds and alternate networks, and it saves NYRA a terrible cable deal.

Then they axe Blewitt? Kinda makes dropping the NYRA channel appear less in the light of a step forward, - toward modern broadcast, and more of cost-cutting management effort.
One that is willing to sacrifice some quality along with costs.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #75
Si2see

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Yeah...that's probably it...they worked together for YEARS...no problemo...

And you ascribe WAY too much power to TLG...I guess he was responsible for killing the racing channel in NYC? He's also able to regulate track maintenance, make takeout decisions, and everything else...

I'll give you one REAL GOOD REASON why TLG might not be tweeting about it...he's bored with the ****ING TROLL RESPONSES he knows he's going to get back and doesn't want to give these losers the satisfaction.

I mean, did you check out any of the twitter and facebook entries on the Blewitt situation? ALL the Andy trolls are out in full force, not talking about Jason, but trolling Andy big time...

I honestly don't know why Andy bothers with twitter...like I said, that place is a bigger cesspool then PaceAdvantage....

I wouldn't know anything about twitter, but it was always my understanding that Mr. Serling is in charge of the NYRA broadcast/shows, which would mean Mr. Blewitt was one of his employees..... clearly I misunderstood
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply