Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:36 PM   #6541
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Attempting to suppress a belief through logic and argument is not the same thing as attempting to suppress expression of that belief. The latter is censorship. The former is not.

Anyone want to discuss the flat earth theory?

Argumentum ad populum. The fallacy of appeal to the masses. Truth is not determined by a vote.

Be that as it may, 51% is way below the 98% of the general U.S. population who are theists. Among people with post graduate degrees, not necessarily scientists, the number is 60%. Among physicists the number is about 40%. And only 7% of elite scientists, those who might possibly win a Nobel Prize, are theists. I think these numbers are from PEW research.

And these number are from the U.S., the most religious nation on earth outside of Muslim countries. I think you will find that if you exclude the U.S., Muslim countries, third world countries, and communist countries atheism accounts for more than 50% of the population.

For what it's worth the 98% figure above is from William Lane Craig.
Only if you used logic BTW I made no argument of fallacy. You made a comment and I agreed with your assessment about your opinion being unpopular, using a poll of your peers (scientists) to demonstrate the unpopularity of your opinion. Also, if you include the whole world the AAAS poll shows a higher percentage, than 51%, of scientists are theists.

You just sling b.s. with the hope something sticks.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 05-31-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #6542
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Of course you are trying to suppress, you denying the existence of the Christian God is an attempt to suppress belief in such.

You are correct your communistic propaganda view is not a popular view, even among scientists. According to the most recent AAAS poll, 51 percent of U.S. scientists are theists.
Serious question:

Is there more proof backing the existence of the "Christian God" than there is supporting the existence of extraterrestrial beings?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:24 PM   #6543
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Serious question:

Is there more proof backing the existence of the "Christian God" than there is supporting the existence of extraterrestrial beings?
Serious? Did any classical Greek philosophers or other respected philosophers create philosophies supporting the existence of extraterrestrial beings?

I don't understand the premise of your serious question. Does the existence or non-existence of alien life have a direct causal relationship to the existence of God?
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 05-31-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 PM   #6544
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Maybe this will help?

Funes has said for years that there’s no conflict between the possibility of alien life — even intelligent life — and the teachings of the Catholic Church. “Just as there is a multiplicity of creatures on Earth, there can be other beings, even intelligent, created by God,” Funes said in 2008. “This is not in contrast with our faith because we can’t put limits on God’s creative freedom.”

“To say it as St. Francis [of Assisi], if we consider some earthly creatures as ‘brother’ and ‘sister,’ why couldn’t we also talk of an ‘extraterrestrial brother’? He would also belong to creation,” he said.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/05/...-and-rockland/
George Washington
Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #6545
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Serious? Did any classical Greek philosophers or other respected philosophers create philosophies supporting the existence of extraterrestrial beings?

I don't understand the premise of your serious question. Does the existence or non-existence of alien life have a direct causal relationship to the existence of God?
No. I am just wondering if, by proposing that there are no extraterrestrials...I am somehow "suppressing the beliefs" of those who believe otherwise...as you suggested to Actor in post #6538.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #6546
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
No. I am just wondering if, by proposing that there are no extraterrestrials...I am somehow "suppressing the beliefs" of those who believe otherwise...as you suggested to Actor in post #6538.
All I pointed out to Actor is that he exhibited the same behavior he accused boxcar as exhibiti
George Washington
Old 06-01-2018, 03:16 AM   #6547
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
People who spend time writing so much time writing about fictional characters aren't normal in the head.
I didn't realize you had a degree in psychiatry. That's quite a claim. Do you have research to back it up, Dr. Boxcar? After all, you made the claim so the burden of proof is yours.

Of course I must point out that you spend quite a lot of time writing about fictional characters, namely Yahweh and Jesus. Physician, heal thyself.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #6548
boxcar

Quote:
I didn't realize you had a degree in psychiatry. That's quite a claim. Do you have research to back it up, Dr. Boxcar? After all, you made the claim so the burden of proof is yours.

Of course I must point out that you spend quite a lot of time writing about fictional characters, namely Yahweh and Jesus. Physician, heal thyself.
Well...there's one "tiny, teeny" difference between you and me: I know God lives because he lives in me. The fictional thing is your claim. Prove it.

And I don't need a degree in psychiatry to observe abnormal behavior. Do I need a degree to figure out that someone who never smiles or laughs, as one example, is abnormal? Or how about someone who habitually engages in self-destructive behavior such as banging his head against the wall? And then there are those who spill tons of ink writing about persons they don't believe exist.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #6549
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I know God lives because he lives in me.
How do you know it's not GERD?
Old 06-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #6550
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And then there are those who spill tons of ink writing about persons they can't prove exist.
FTFY!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #6551
boxcar

Quote:
How do you know it's not GERD?
How do you know you're not very poorly programmed robot?
Old 06-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #6552
boxcar

Quote:
FTFY!
You're not capable of fixing anything. You've been broken all your life.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:12 PM   #6553
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
How do you know you're not very poorly programmed robot?
I am an excellently programmed robot thank you very much.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:36 PM   #6554
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You've been broken all your life.
And you have been broken all your life. Isn't that what your religion teaches?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #6555
boxcar

Quote:
And you have been broken all your life. Isn't that what your religion teaches?
Only up to the time the Great Physician healed me and saved me from myself.