Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 03-25-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
BiiG

Constructive Critisim

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, I have been developing a computer program that handicaps races and ranks the horses 1,2,3...,etc.. After a year and a half of work, I am at a crossroads [btw, GREAT SONG], a point where I need some constructive critisim or a PEER REVIEW so to speak.

Computer Handicapping

Introduction: This section breifly describes the program.
I download the Formulator pps from DRF. Use the Formulator program to load the pp's into the Millineum.mdb Access database used by Formulator. A Visual Basic 6.0 program then reads the database and ranks the horses for each race and writes the analysis to my output Access database. Once the race has been run, I enter the results and the scratches into my database and re-run the analysis to remove scratched horses.

Methodology: This section roughly describes some of the methods used by BiiGreen.
The BiiGreen program ranks horses based on a weighted average of 4 factors. The program reads the pps and uses custom algorithms to compare the factors for the horses in a race and ranks them 1,2,3,...,etc.. These factors are averaged using weights that are automically developed for each track. The weights being used are automically computed by an optimization/calibration process. This process looks at all possible combinaitons of factors and choses only those that have an apparent impact on the outcome of the race. This produced the 4 factors that are being used. Then these factors are weighted to see which of these is most important to the outcome. The maximizaiton of the win percent and ROI determines the weights.

Analyzing Results:
With the race results in the database, I can query it to show me all the horses that won and were ranked 1st or 2nd by the program. Another query computes the Win %, ROI, Average win payout, # of winners, and total money won. These are the results with 757 races in the database:
Total wins 323
$3,830.90 in winners
ROI 26.5%
Win 42.6%
Avg win $11.86

Click here to see a list of winners picked by BiiGreen

An issue with the ranking and the results is that the program will sometimes rank more than one horse 1st or 2nd. There were an average of 2.4 horses ranked as 1st or 2nd for the 757 races. This reduced the ROI to 5%.

Conclusions:
Given the analysis from BiiGreen, the form, and my brain, I have put together an excellent year so far. Using the analysis and an "if A then B" betting strategy has lead to a positive return on money and exictment. Therefore, it would seem that computer handicapping can be worth the time and/or money invested.

Questions:
Am I dreaming?
Am I missing something?
What other issuses or problems can you see?
Someone said that if this is true it would be a world premier. I find it EEEEXtreeeeeemley hard to believe that I could do something like that. My real thesis was a boon to hydrological modeling in Geographic Informaiton Systems. But that is a new science. Horseracing has been around for a long time. Could I be the first to do this? I really don't think so.

Thanks for your time and comments.
BiiG (aka Mike)
BiiG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
sjk

I also enjoy computer handicapping and am pleased that your methods show promise.

I think you will need to test a larger data set to be confident of your results.

In my case, I made a few changes to my program the other day and back-tested a full year of races (about 41k races).

It is also important that the method you use be reasonably independent of the test races.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2004, 07:34 PM   #3
BiiG

Nice post. The larger sample I can do, just gotta go back and get results. That's a pain in the hiney... but should be well worth it.

"It is also important that the method you use be reasonably independent of the test races"

Please elaborate

Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
sjk

The remark about independence relates more to back-testing past races (to incorporate a large sample) rather than testing on upcoming races on an on-going basis.

If you decide to back-test, you should test against a group of races which are different from the races you use to fix your factors and weights. This makes it more likely that furture results will be like the test results.

If you fix your methods and test against future races, that would not be a concern.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Mike,

A couple of questions regarding your results.

1) By the comment about querying the horses that were ranked 1 and 2 and won I assume your results are based on betting both 1st and 2nd choice (excluding ties). Am I correct in this assumption?

2) A question relating to sjk's ... are these results obtained going forward in the "heat of battle" as opposed to back testing?

3) How selective are you when it comes to race types?

Hope you stick around and post more often, we can use a few more geeks around here :

Bill

I see sjk beat me to my question #2

Last edited by BillW; 03-25-2004 at 07:46 PM.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2004, 07:45 PM   #6
shanta

biig

it is obvious you have put a lot of time and effort into what you have come up with. even if including ties from 1 and 2 brings your r.o.i. down to 5% what you have come up with is extremely potent!. by signing up with a rebate shop you are now in a very enviable position!as far as "questions" you have asked:

1)are you dreaming? you have been working on this for over 18 months. it seems like its real and not a dream!

2)am i missing something? what could you be missing? what you are doing works , you are betting real money i believe and are profiting. nuff said!

3)what other issues or problems can we see? the only problem i can see is "WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THE CASH YOU MAKE"!!!!!!!

i hope you have continued success Mike! all the best

Richie Pizzicara
shanta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2004, 08:33 PM   #7
BiiG

SJK,
I get what your saying. I don't do the back testing. My program incorperates optimization and calibration techniques I learned in college doing hydrological modeling. Changing the input and seeing what the results are. Then tweaking it again and again until your happy.

Actually, the process is automatic and produces a 4 dimensional shape that is maximized for the win% and ROI. The opt/calib process is new to this program and I expect to run it monthly as it is quite time and processing intensive.

Basically, I do fix my numbers and then go off into the wild blue future... I mean yonder!!!

Thanks and have a GREAT DAY!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #8
BiiG

Bill,

"1) By the comment about querying the horses that were ranked 1 and 2 and won I assume your results are based on betting both 1st and 2nd choice (excluding ties). Am I correct in this assumption?"

I am not quite clear on this... but if there are 2 horses ranked 1 and one horse ranked 2, three bets are placed.

As for question 2, see my post to SJK.

I am VERY VERY selective in the races I bet. I only really bet on saturdays... Go to Gulfstream or Calder tracks. I will do spot plays during the week if I see a good chance at a nice winner.

A few more geeks... after reading the Multinomial logit thread.... I think there are enough here already!!! lol And I represent that geek statement.... heheheh I mean resent it.

Thanks for the input and have a GREAT EVENING!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
BiiG

Shanta,
Yes... it has been a lot of time and effort. It consumes me so it is really a pleasure to do. I taught myself to program in 8 languages while in college and THIS IS WHAT I DO WITH IT!!! LOL

I do not bet each and every race analyzed by the computer. I am picky and a cheapo bettor. Mostly I go to the track with $50 in my pocket for beer and bets. Rarely have more than $6 or $8 dollars on a race in win and exactas. But when I see an oppurtunity, I try and take it for all it is worth.

In the Fl Derby we had $20 win ticket, the exacta and the $2 tri. Some of my friends took my pick and hooked on the super... I had the super on 2 $6 tickets... Arrrgh!! Que Lastima!!! but how can I complain.

On my spot plays where I am really REALLY looking to make money it is another story. Win bet only and sometimes will equal my whole weekend bankroll on ONE RACE!

But mostly I am in this game for fun... YEA RIGHT... no really, I am. LOL....

I have done good this year with it... Friends Lake in the Fla Derby helped see to that. Found $70 winners the last two weekends. Even if I lose every bet I place at GP the rest of the meet I will have had a GREAT meet.

Thanks for the good wishes and RIGHT BACK AT YA!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:04 PM   #10
LOU M.

Biig

What % of your algorithms deal with "connections"?Trainers ,owners and jockeys,et al.
Lou M.
LOU M. is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2004, 09:39 PM   #11
BiiG

Lou,

Plain and simple... None of them.

That is why I use the Form as well as my program.

Those types of things... Trainer intent... jock change... etc are hard, if not impossible to code into my current methodology.... but don't think I'm not trying to find a way!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:04 PM   #12
LOU M.

Biig

Hope you succeed.Good Luck.By the way you use the term callibration, are you connected with I believe his name is Lehane who has Callibration Handicapping?
Lou M.
LOU M. is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2004, 10:13 PM   #13
BiiG

Lou,
Never heard of him. I am new to handicapping and racing. Been into it since Sarava and the whole tripped out of the gate in the Belmont. I hit the exacta for $1200 and was HOOOOKED :-)

Calibration is a process that is used in my line of work, Hydrological modeling. It is one of the most important things involved in modeling movement of water above and below the surface of the earth. Before the higher ups will believe anything from a model, it must show that it can reproduce the past observed values. Calibration is the process of tweaking the input paramaters to produce the best fit to existing data.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:39 PM   #14
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

BiiG,

What's up with your website?
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2004, 10:44 PM   #15
BiiG

What website?