Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 02-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
DeoVolente

Books Written By A Trainer

Does anyone know of any published books written by a trainer. I know that Phil Johnson was featured in a chapter of a book I once read. But I'm in the market for for a book that has a trainer point of view. Any information?

Thanks
DeoVolente is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
kenwoodallpromos

So am I! Whitaker's book is ok. "A Day At The Races" has some good comments by trainers on methods."Horse Whisperer" series if that is for you.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:14 AM   #3
Whirlaway

Traits of a Winner: The Formula for Developing Thoroughbred Racehorses by Carl Nafzger.

See also: Where to Stick the Needle by Robert Frankel (foreward by Jeff Mullins.)

Last edited by Whirlaway; 02-25-2004 at 02:24 AM.
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2004, 05:08 AM   #4
Dan Montilion

Training Thoroughbred Horses. Preston M. Burch. Published 1953.

Dan Montilion
Dan Montilion is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
delayjf

TOM IVERS

I know of one controversal book on training horses by Tom Ivers, which deals with the use of interval training which I guess is simular to how humans employ interval training. I think it's called "the fit racehorse"
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #6
DeoVolente

I was thinking more of how a book written by a trainer can help the handicapper. It is said that trainers are poor handicappers but I think there are nuggets of information concerning how these folks condition their horses that can help us.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:51 PM   #7
sq764
EIG

Hmm, I happen to think the best trainers are the best handicappers.. For one reason - They put their horses in the best spot to win..

They understand conditions..
sq764 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2004, 04:07 AM   #8
plainolebill

Frankel was a gambler, no one is better at placing horses than he is. According to him he doesn't bet the horses any more because he doesn't need to.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2004, 12:10 PM   #9
twobet

Thumbs up

I bought the following book back in the early '90s and thought it was a great read. Don't know much about the author but gather from the book that he has a trainer's insight into handicapping. A little self-promotion showed. However, it is a book I go back to on occasion although some material may be dated.

"Thinking Man II - The Golden Guide To Handicapping, Training and Racing" by Katcha Goodwon (I'm pretty sure that name is just a catchy pen name). Publisher: Westcliff Publications.

... Twobet
twobet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2004, 02:07 PM   #10
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally posted by twobet
I bought the following book back in the early '90s and thought it was a great read. Don't know much about the author but gather from the book that he has a trainer's insight into handicapping. A little self-promotion showed. However, it is a book I go back to on occasion although some material may be dated.

"Thinking Man II - The Golden Guide To Handicapping, Training and Racing" by Katcha Goodwon (I'm pretty sure that name is just a catchy pen name). Publisher: Westcliff Publications.

... Twobet
He talks in one of his books about having trained the horse Needles, back in the 50's, I believe. That should disclose his true identity.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:34 PM   #11
takeout

Quote:
Originally posted by twobet
I bought the following book back in the early '90s and thought it was a great read.
Me too. I liked his chapter on trainers and the way he didn't beat around the bush. It helped me understand some of the lunacy that I had been seeing in the PPs but never understood before.
takeout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2004, 09:48 PM   #12
Figman

Jack Price from Florida owned and trained NEEDLES. I believe he is deceased. The regular jockey was Dave Erb who lives in Greenfield Center, NY not too far from Saratoga Race track. Dave is a real pleasant fellow with whom I had a great conversation last year during the Saratoga meet about "the good ole days!" I don't know who KATCH GOODWIN is but Jack Price was one colorful character.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2004, 10:33 PM   #13
Figman

The trainer was Hugh Fontaine (not Jack Price as I had previuosly stated, for Jack Price was the trainer of CARRY BACK). NEEDLES was owned by the D and H Stable. So Katcha Goodwin may very well have been Hugh Fontaine.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #14
delayjf

Steve Collison's "Inside the claiming game" is very good. His Wife was a trainer and it gives a lot of insights into the backstretch.

Last edited by delayjf; 03-10-2004 at 12:04 PM.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2004, 06:37 AM   #15
DeoVolente

Thinking Man Good Read

Thanks for all the information. I'm reading Thinking Man now and it's a good read. I'll give Inside the Claiming Game and look next.