Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-23-2004, 08:17 AM   #466
LOU M.

Lefty

If Reagans trickle down economics did work George Bush Sr. would not have lost his re-election because of the the economy. Isn't that where the phrase "IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID" came from?
LOU M. is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 11:54 AM   #467
Lefty

Lou, part of Geo. H's, prob was he didn't fully believe in Reagan's economics. Another part of his problem was he let himself be bullied by the dems to raise taxes on the promise that if he didn't "the dems in congress would shut down the govt and blame it on him. Third problem was even though in his last quarter the economy was improving but the electorite succumbed to the lies of Clinton and Gore. Remember the "worst economy in 50 yrs?" A blatant lie. And fourth old Geo. H. lost the fire in his belly. He just didn't seem all that interested anymore.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 12:11 PM   #468
ljb
Veteran

Lefty,
George H. had no problems compared to George W.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #469
Lefty

another negative post with no substance. lbj, just knows he hates Bush and hasn't got a clue why he likes Kerry other than he's not Bush. Well, lbj, Nader's not Bush either. There ya go.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:23 PM   #470
Lefty

Boris, don't know who the richest guy in Congress is but i'd give ya 99-1 it's not a Republican.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #471
hcap

500,000 people to a million protesters

The Republican National Convention may be in for some bad publicity. This just before 9/11 of '04. May not resonate well, and our "war preznit", may loose more creditability.
If that's possible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/23/ny...rint&position=

"Though the Police Department and many protest organizers have been reluctant to predict how many people will ultimately turn out for protests, estimates have ranged from 500,000 people to a million.

Six months before any delegate is to take a seat at Madison Square Garden, it is clear that many groups are already planning strategy and activities. Labor unions, environmentalists, self-declared anarchists and others who merely label themselves as anti-Bush or anti-Republican are making plans to turn out. Barely a week passes without several planning sessions in New York, focusing on everything from housing and tactics to legal strategy and what to expect in interactions with the police."
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 04:39 PM   #472
hcap

Bush voluntereed for overseas?

Bush voluntereed for overseas?
Marc Racicot bs.

Top article about Bush campaign chairman Marc Racicot being interviewed by Juan Williams on NPR.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

"Just when you start debating how much or whether the president's military service record should be an issue in this campaign, you realize that the main reason it's an issue is that the president and his surrogates just won't stop lying about it."

And the Wash Post original from 1999
discussing overseas service---VIETNAM
An excerpt:

"At Height of Vietnam, Bush Picks Guard"
By George Lardner Jr. and Lois Romano
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, July 28, 1999; Page

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...bush072899.htm

" Among the questions Bush had to answer on his application forms was whether he wanted to go overseas. Bush checked the box that said: "do not volunteer."

Bush said in an interview that he did not recall checking the box. Two weeks later, his office provided a statement from a former, state-level Air Guard personnel officer, asserting that since Bush "was applying for a specific position with the 147th Fighter Group, it would have been inappropriate for him to have volunteered for an overseas assignment and he probably was so advised by the military personnel clerk assisting him in completing the form."

During a second interview, Bush himself raised the issue.

"Had my unit been called up, I'd have gone . . . to Vietnam," Bush said. "I was prepared to go."

But there was no chance Bush's unit would be ordered overseas. Bush says that toward the end of his training in 1970, he tried to volunteer for overseas duty, asking a commander to put his name on the list for a "Palace Alert" program, which dispatched qualified F-102 pilots in the Guard to the Europe and the Far East, occasionally to Vietnam, on three- to six-month assignments.

He was turned down on the spot. "I did [ask] – and I was told, 'You're not going,' " Bush said.

Only pilots with extensive flying time – at the outset, 1,000 hours were required – were sent overseas under the voluntary program. The Air Force, moreover, was retiring the aging F-102s and had ordered all overseas F-102 units closed down as of June 30, 1970.

Last edited by hcap; 02-23-2004 at 04:40 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 06:51 PM   #473
ljb
Veteran

Lefty said:
"another negative post with no substance. lbj, just knows he hates Bush and hasn't got a clue why he likes Kerry other than he's not Bush. Well, lbj, Nader's not Bush either. There ya go."
I think my post had substance, Bush junior has more problems then Bush senior had.
Just off the top of my head, I don't believe senior Bush was ever AWOL. If you want more examples I will be glad to supply but, there are many examples already on these threads.
I like Kerry for other reasons then just that he is not Bush, some of which I have mentioned on these threads.
Just off the top of my head, I would say he wasn't AWOL during the Viet Nam conflict.

As for Nader, yes he is a viable option to Bush.
Works into the ABBA philosophy nicely, thanks for mentioning him.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 07:12 PM   #474
LOU M.

Lefty

Your talking point answers might work with thelock step Republicans but not me. Newt baby shut down the government not the Dems. The first time in power and they acted like the spoiled rich kids they are. If I can't have my way I'm taking my ball and going home. As for your reasoning why Geoge Bush Sr. failed, that he didn't follow the smarter Reagan , "LIKE FATHER LIKE SON", George Jr. should have left the economy alone and learn from Clinton.And finally to your analogy about the buggy makers and the auto. Yes they retrained to learn how to make cars but then again they were made here. Now the American has to learn a new language and move to a foreign country.

PS-Great defense about trickle down economics. You wrote"the blacks were the fasted rising econic groupduring the Reagan years. last I looked they are still the poorest segment of our society.I guess trickle down was a success because they are a little less poor.

And the Republicans say the Dems parse words.
LOU M. is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 08:06 PM   #475
Boris

Re: Re: Re: Sec-my bs!

Quote:
Originally posted by JustRalph
If you count his old ladies money........I am sure it is Kerry........

Bingo! $550,000,000 smakkas. Richest man in congress. 4th overall politician, however, the as of date is 02.

Hey Democrats, here's your sign.

Boris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 08:15 PM   #476
JustRalph
Just another Facist

hey...give Amazin a sign....!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris
Bingo! $550,000,000 smakkas. Richest man in congress. 4th overall politician, however, the as of date is 02.

Hey Democrats, here's your sign.
classic dig Boris.......nice shot......
Old 02-23-2004, 09:01 PM   #477
Secretariat

Not quite sure why you guys view Kerry's wealth as a negative. After all he married the former wife of the Heinz fortune.

I also find it impressive that a guy running for president would advocate a tax raise on himself. Besides, he's gonna need that dough to battle the Bush campaign juggernaught of campaign appearance donations. It is a shame in our country that only millionaires can be President anymore, but thats the way it is. Only people like Bill Gates or Ross Perot could compete as an independent presidential candidate due to prohibitive advertising costs

Besides, I thought Republicans liked rich people... like Ken Lay.
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 09:07 PM   #478
Lefty

Lou, read closely. I was talking about Geo H. Bush The speaker of the house, a DEMOCRAT threatened Geo H. with sutdown and Bush caved, raised taxes, shutdown didn't happen. It did happen in Clinton's adm and it was the teacher's union that caused the shutdown and blamed the Republicans. Clinton the pres but he wouldn't take responsibilty.
Yeah, how come the blacks still poorest group after over 50 yrs of voting in big blocks for the Dems. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

lbj, you lack substance big time. BTW, Bush has proved he was not AWOL but get this: How can you vote for a man that said in 1991 "We don't need to provide America with who served and how" Of course he was stumping for Clinton then.
And now that he's running, all of a sudden it does matter. If you like people who constantly change their tune as a matter of convenience then you are in the right part.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 PM   #479
Boris

Quote:
Originally posted by Secretariat

I also find it impressive that a guy running for president would advocate a tax raise on himself.

What choice do you have. LOL You hitched your wagon to ol' moneybags. But he's not just a rich guy in congress, he's numero uno, top dog, da big banana, Mista Big. Your choice to represnt the "common man" has nothing in common with him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2004, 09:24 PM   #480
Secretariat

lol...Lefty, you're classic.

Finished my corp taxes yesterday so I'm in a pretty good mood, maybe relief is a better word. Posted a few things below, but the link is incredible.

"This whole debate over off-shore shell companies, and how they’re used to avoid taxes, is taking place against a bigger backdrop of an overall decline in the amount of taxes paid by U.S. corporations . In 1960, corporations paid 24% of all federal taxes. In the 1970’s that share fell to 15%. As recently as 1996 it was 12%. Now corporate taxes make up about 8% of U.S. revenues."

Example:
Ford Motor Company
Pre-Tax Profits -18,625,000,000
Federal Income Tax-1,059, 800,000
Effective Tax Rate-5.7%
Total Tax Breaks-5,458,900,000

How do they do it? I just did my taxes and my percentage was way more than this? How do you write off 5.4 billion?

Btw..the graphs on this site would even make Perot proud…

http://www.ctj.org/pdf/debt0903.pdf
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply