Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Escape from NY

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/e...=NYDailyNewsTw

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.1 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by JustRalph; 10-14-2014 at 03:04 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Ocala Mike

Escape from NY

Thanks for that artidle; kind of ties in with the other thread that I started (which started creeping in this direction).
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

It is one perspective. I lived in Indiana for basically the first 25 years of my life and don't miss it at all, even though it is exactly the same sort of place these people are talking about. I love being in NY. Yes, it is expensive and inconvenient at times, but there is also something good about a place that never closes for business and where you can experience things from the whole world in one afternoon. I'm sure I'll leave here when it is time to retire so what I have will stretch much further, but until them I have no interest in leaving.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
It is one perspective. I lived in Indiana for basically the first 25 years of my life and don't miss it at all, even though it is exactly the same sort of place these people are talking about. I love being in NY. Yes, it is expensive and inconvenient at times, but there is also something good about a place that never closes for business and where you can experience things from the whole world in one afternoon. I'm sure I'll leave here when it is time to retire so what I have will stretch much further, but until them I have no interest in leaving.

Every Summer in Saratoga, I think about staying there. Of course, I then think about what I would do for money, and that puts an end to the fantasizing.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
Every Summer in Saratoga, I think about staying there. Of course, I then think about what I would do for money, and that puts an end to the fantasizing.
Going up there in January could put you off as well. It is a nice place to visit off season though. I've thought the same thing myself, and there is a few colleges up that way, so there would be emplyment opportunities for me. Just not ready for that kind of life style again though.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
classhandicapper

Housing is very expensive in Saratoga (at least anywhere near the track). In town it's crazy expensive. I would love to have a place up there to spend my summers when I retire, but there are cheaper places. I might be better off to just continue vacationing there.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 10-14-2014 at 04:53 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Forex trading! It could be done from anywhere...and at any time.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Housing is very expensive in Saratoga (at least anywhere near the track). In town it's crazy expensive. I would love to have a place up there to spend my summers when I retire, but there are cheaper places. I might be better off to just continue vacationing there.
What about the Clifton Park/Albany area? Its 15 minutes away.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Going up there in January could put you off as well. It is a nice place to visit off season though. I've thought the same thing myself, and there is a few colleges up that way, so there would be emplyment opportunities for me. Just not ready for that kind of life style again though.
I've been up there in the cold. Not the same as Summer, but NYC isn't a bargain in January either. I've lived in the city my whole life. So, the slower pace is a welcome change. The issue is making NYC $$ up there, and, for me that's not realistic. I got a solid 10 years of hard labor, here, before I can live up there without having to work.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 10-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I plan on living north of the track. Wilton is a nice town, with some nice housing complexes.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 10-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Forex trading! It could be done from anywhere...and at any time.

True, but, I'm not ready to make financial markets my primary source of income, as the temptation would be too great to eschew risk management.

I'm pushing 50. That's too old to be broke.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 10-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
thaskalos

Quote:
True, but, I'm not ready to make financial markets my primary source of income, as the temptation would be too great to eschew risk management.

I'm pushing 50. That's too old to be broke.
I am going to be 53 in November. Along with the fear of making the financial markets our primary source of income must come the realization that our financial responsibilities lessen as we advance in age. We won't need the income then that we do now.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I am going to be 53 in November. Along with the fear of making the financial markets our primary source of income must come the realization that our financial responsibilities lessen as we advance in age. We won't need the income then that we do now.
True, but, we'll always have the two biggies: room and board.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
sammy the sage

Quote:
True, but, we'll always have the two biggies: room and board.
Health care will be as expensive as the other two COMBINED....
Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
4 or 5 years ago Beth and I seriously considered buying a house there. The first houses we looked at was such a gigantic steal but not our "kind" of house. Unfortunately, all the other houses paled in comparison based upon sq. footage, neighborhood, etc. that we just couldn't get excited about anything.

We did not find housing to be too expensive there, although the property taxes were nuts.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply