Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
FantasticDan
gelding

Car dealers

So the wife and I went to a car dealer recently looking for a used car for her mother. The small Toyota she currently drives has been great, but it's on its last legs and has negligible trade-in value. She's almost 80 years old and only needs it for local errands and such. We're looking to spend somewhere between $4-6K cash if possible. Tough to find something in nice shape for that price, even a small car.

So after casually looking around for weeks, I spot a 2004 Nissan that might fit the bill, the oldest, cheapest used car on the lot. It's small and in good shape for its age. Only trouble is the dealer wants $7k for it.

My wife and I explain the situation and that $6k is our limit, and the salesman says, well, sorry, I don't think my manager is going to come off the price that much. He also seemed completely uninterested in letting us test-drive the vehicle.

He then proceeds to take us into his office and tries to interest us in cars that cost $10K..

I know he was just doing his job (make as much $$ off the sucker as possible), but it just reinforced to me why when I buy a car, I drive it til it drops. Can't stand this whole process.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
GameTheory

For something like that, a private sale sounds like a better option. Or if she doesn't drive that often, $6K in a fund to be used for a car service catering to the elderly might last a while...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
johnhannibalsmith

Car dealerships, dealers, and their in-laws the "certified technician" have managed to turn car ownership into a chore. These jackoffs are all on my long list of people to avoid at all costs. For that money look at a private sale and avoid the hassle if possible.

* I know we have a few car dealers here and you guys are of course the exception just like the horsemen here are the exception to the all horsemen are crooks, liars, and cheats rule.

-Robert James Smith, 1989

Last edited by johnhannibalsmith; 10-08-2014 at 11:40 AM.
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
TJDave

I've bought several vehicles off Craig's List. Never had a problem.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Several years ago we were educated into understanding about how the new car business works these days. Apparently they are in it for the service!

We found that because we had taken our car to a "trustworthy garage" to get service done at reasonable prices (i.e. $35 for oil change, etc.) rather than the $129 the dealer wanted, we were persona non grata at the dealership for ANY repair!

Example: When a tire sensor went out, they said that they would only replace all 4 of them (at over $200 each) rather than take the time to test which one was throwing the error.

A friend purchased a truck at Costco years ago. The local dealer refused to receive and prep the truck, so he had to drive to Fallon (1 hr away) to a dealer that would. The dealer also refused to do any warranty work.

Please note that the dealer I am talking about is famous for having the largest profit-per-sale of any Dodge dealer in the country.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
GameTheory

Many mechanics offer an inspection of older cars (there is a AAA program for that too) so if you find one you like from a private person and they'll let you take it in for inspection so for a little extra $$$ for peace of mind. (Last time I did something like that was in the 90s -- cost me about $80 I think, so it is maybe $200 or more now, I have no idea...) There is also CarFax, etc. I bought a Mazda once that had been written off previously as totaled ("salvage" title) for $1500 -- got another 40K miles out of it...
Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
So the wife and I went to a car dealer recently looking for a used car for her mother. The small Toyota she currently drives has been great, but it's on its last legs and has negligible trade-in value. She's almost 80 years old and only needs it for local errands and such. We're looking to spend somewhere between $4-6K cash if possible. Tough to find something in nice shape for that price, even a small car.

So after casually looking around for weeks, I spot a 2004 Nissan that might fit the bill, the oldest, cheapest used car on the lot. It's small and in good shape for its age. Only trouble is the dealer wants $7k for it.

My wife and I explain the situation and that $6k is our limit, and the salesman says, well, sorry, I don't think my manager is going to come off the price that much. He also seemed completely uninterested in letting us test-drive the vehicle.

He then proceeds to take us into his office and tries to interest us in cars that cost $10K..

I know he was just doing his job (make as much $$ off the sucker as possible), but it just reinforced to me why when I buy a car, I drive it til it drops. Can't stand this whole process.
The process is "yukky" thats why the term "used car salesman" is thrown around a lot as an unflattering term outside of the used car world.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
HUSKER55

GO to a decent dealer and lease the car. You might be surprised at what you can get.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
For something like that, a private sale sounds like a better option.
I'm definitely open to that option, but it seems like there's next to nothing in my local newspaper. I've also casually looked on Auto Trader and eBay and haven't come up with much, haven't ventured on to Craig's list yet.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Car dealers

Wonderful people

Had some folks in my restaurant who announced to me that they wanted to "negotiate" prices on some of my nicer wines...no problem...until they also stated that they were car salesman from Jersey. Oh boy...
(okay, don't know what Jersey has to do with this, but they included it so I thought I would too )

They wanted a Dominus and a Far Niente cabernet, both excellent wines and they sell for about $200 each.
Their offer?...$250 for both of them
I declined, and they became a bit confrontational and began to tag team me, like I was at the dealership or something

In the end they bought one bottle for $175 and acted like dicks the rest of the evening.
By the way...those of you who eat out and buy nice wines for your meal, you can negotiate price (just like a car)...but only on bottles upwards of about $150 and over. Hey, I paid a nice price for these and want to move them, so any good offer is accepted.
I will usually knock $10-$20 off the price of an expensive bottle in order to get the sale.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
I'm definitely open to that option, but it seems like there's next to nothing in my local newspaper. I've also casually looked on Auto Trader and eBay and haven't come up with much, haven't ventured on to Craig's list yet.
CL has replaced the newspaper nearly completely...
Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
..and acted like dicks the rest of the evening...
And before the meal. And after the meal. And for the rest of their lives, most likely.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
ArlJim78

Was your experience anything like this?
[YT="Trucoat"]E5gwc4UizUc[/YT]
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Wonderful people

Had some folks in my restaurant who announced to me that they wanted to "negotiate" prices on some of my nicer wines...no problem...until they also stated that they were car salesman from Jersey. Oh boy...
(okay, don't know what Jersey has to do with this, but they included it so I thought I would too )

They wanted a Dominus and a Far Niente cabernet, both excellent wines and they sell for about $200 each.
Their offer?...$250 for both of them
I declined, and they became a bit confrontational and began to tag team me, like I was at the dealership or something

In the end they bought one bottle for $175 and acted like dicks the rest of the evening.
By the way...those of you who eat out and buy nice wines for your meal, you can negotiate price (just like a car)...but only on bottles upwards of about $150 and over. Hey, I paid a nice price for these and want to move them, so any good offer is accepted.
I will usually knock $10-$20 off the price of an expensive bottle in order to get the sale.
Now you know what my life is like. Nothing worse than a know it all grinder. I know what we can do and also what we can't. The Internet has simply caused an outright whore fest.

Having said that, Dan, your money simply does not go far on a used car. The average car on the road is nearly 12 years old! As for the $7000 car, I would not move from that price either because that car will sell eventually.

Regarding the Bullshit rap we get, I work for the dealership in town (7500) going on 15 years. I have sold nearly 3000 cars, many repeat customers. These are the same people I see in town. Everyone claims to have a story, but the facts are usually embellished a bit.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #15
thaskalos

Con men...

I went out looking for a new car at a dealership in Westmont IL, about a month ago...and I found a car to my liking. The salesman wouldn't budge from the sticker price...telling me that there is a very thin profit margin on new cars. I asked him what he could do if I paid him cash for the car...and he replied that cash is not a good incentive for him, because he makes his money on the financing. I got up to leave...and he made no effort to stop me.

But he has left me at least 10 voice messages asking me to return to his place for a better deal. I was there but he let me leave. And now I am supposed to go back.