Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-18-2023, 10:24 AM   #1
JohnGalt1

Santa Anita Pick Six Change

I just read that Santa Anita will offer a traditional pick 6 for their fall meet.

They will pay out 70% for 6/6 and 30% for 5/6.

I hope this is as successful as NYRA has shown so other Stronach owned tracks may convert some of their other tracks away from the sucker jackpot bets.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
JohnGalt1

I read it at Ray Paulick's site.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2023, 11:11 AM   #3
woodbinepmi

That's good news.
Old 08-22-2023, 08:51 AM   #4
LemonSoupKid

As a mostly pick 5 but occasional pick 6 player, especially on big racing days (or mandatories), I'm happy to see this and actually a bit surprised it took this long. I wonder what put them over the edge. It's been going on for longer than 10 years, but it seems a lot of tracks converted to the rainbow nonsense (was it just all Stronach tracks?) at the same time, the early part of last decade. It was like quadrupling down on an existing lottery to win with the sole ticket, and of course just played more into large syndicate hands. I'll never forget the 500k 8-1 shot that Jaramillo was riding at Gulfstream that had a sole ticket live to it for the rainbow, and as he's clearing he gets thrown from the mount with 1/16 to go. Amazingly bad beat.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2023, 01:54 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
As a mostly pick 5 but occasional pick 6 player, especially on big racing days (or mandatories), I'm happy to see this and actually a bit surprised it took this long. I wonder what put them over the edge. It's been going on for longer than 10 years, but it seems a lot of tracks converted to the rainbow nonsense (was it just all Stronach tracks?) at the same time, the early part of last decade. It was like quadrupling down on an existing lottery to win with the sole ticket, and of course just played more into large syndicate hands. I'll never forget the 500k 8-1 shot that Jaramillo was riding at Gulfstream that had a sole ticket live to it for the rainbow, and as he's clearing he gets thrown from the mount with 1/16 to go. Amazingly bad beat.

I could not imagine being the poor SOB that held that ticket. Do you remember what 5 out of 6 paid? If that was me I would have been thinking fully loaded 1 ton 4WD crew cab truck for at least a second or two. Then cussing, screaming and throwing things, then probably drug away for a psych evaluation.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2023, 08:42 PM   #6
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I could not imagine being the poor SOB that held that ticket. Do you remember what 5 out of 6 paid? If that was me I would have been thinking fully loaded 1 ton 4WD crew cab truck for at least a second or two. Then cussing, screaming and throwing things, then probably drug away for a psych evaluation.
5-6 paid $1935.52
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2023, 09:15 AM   #7
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
That is a bad beat. But at least the ruling was obvious.

Wasn't it about that same time 7 or 8 years ago that a huge Rainbow 6 at GP was "won" (a day or two before a mandatory payout date) only to have the winner DQ'ed in a rather iffy call by the stewards?

It's one thing to have a bad beat. It's another to be robbed.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2023, 03:48 PM   #8
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
That is a bad beat. But at least the ruling was obvious.

Wasn't it about that same time 7 or 8 years ago that a huge Rainbow 6 at GP was "won" (a day or two before a mandatory payout date) only to have the winner DQ'ed in a rather iffy call by the stewards?

It's one thing to have a bad beat. It's another to be robbed.
Good point. Your horse crossing first with a jockey and then it getting taken away is arguably worse. I still think the fall is more uncommon, though (sadly).
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply