Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Parx Debacle

Planned winter break from racing: 12/23/15 - 2/12/16

Planned track closure to install new safety rail: 1/3/16 - ~1/24/16

1/27/16: Expecting to re-open the track for training between 1/30/16 and 2/1/16 due to delays associated with heavy snowfall. Opening day pushed back 1 week to 2/20/16.

2/1/16: Expecting to re-open track for limited training on 2/4/16

2/9/16: Additional snow (2-3 inches) delays training until 2/12/16. Entries for 2/20/16 card to be drawn: “It’s going to be interesting,” Elliott (Parx Racing Director) said. “I’m going to write extra races at five furlongs to try and get everyone started back.”

2/12/16: Opening day pushed back 1 week to 2/27/16. Training will resume 2/15/16.

Through yesterday (2/16/16), training has still not resumed.

Does anybody miss Parx anyway?

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
upthecreek

[QUOTE=Rise Over Run]Planned winter break from racing: 12/23/15 - 2/12/16

1/27/16: Expecting to re-open the track for training between 1/30/16 and 2/1/16 due to delays associated with heavy snowfall. Opening day pushed back 1 week to 2/20/16.

2/9/16: Additional snow (2-3 inches) delays training until 2/12/16. Entries for 2/20/16 card to be drawn: “It’s going to be interesting,” Elliott (Parx Racing Director) said. “I’m going to write extra races at five furlongs to try and get everyone started back.”

2/12/16: Opening day pushed back 1 week to 2/27/16. Training will resume 2/15/16.

Does anybody miss Parx anyway? [/QUOTE

Only Rich Perloff in his handi-capsule
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Mandrake
Veteran

We shall see if all the trainers who went elsewhere miss it, or if they stay where they are until Parx gets it's act together. If the latter, then I would hate to see how small the fields are going to be when they finally figure it all out.
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
ebcorde
Veteran

I live about

45 minutes away. Forgot all about them. I don't like cold weather racing. I wonder how the riders feel about the long winter layoff,

I think Every time Keith Jones yelled "Hello!" I think I ripped up my ticket. That's my feeling on it
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
Mandrake
Veteran

Mychel Sanchez seemed to be live at Laurel and brought in some nice prices. I think that kid has a future. Pennington went to Tampa and he seems like he can't get any mounts. Most of the others went to Penn National.
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
Planned winter break from racing: 12/23/15 - 2/12/16

Yes, now that Laurel is done with Mondays I will miss Parx.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...highlight=Parx

Seems like I was right after all. It was a Parx problem and not really a weather problem.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake
We shall see if all the trainers who went elsewhere miss it, or if they stay where they are until Parx gets it's act together. If the latter, then I would hate to see how small the fields are going to be when they finally figure it all out.
A lot of them went to Laurel, but Laurel is done for about a month.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
tanner12oz

Weren't the purses insane there last year? Horsemen might be missing them..
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run

What is Parx? Is that a food that was offered at NYRA tracks?

Just kidding, I actually like them closing for 2 months. It helped (by a hair) the horse population at AQU. It's 1 example of solid contraction ( I detest contraction but.....)
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #11
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
Weren't the purses insane there last year? Horsemen might be missing them..
They bumped up the purses significantly for about 45 days last fall.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #12
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
I actually like them closing for 2 months. It helped (by a hair) the horse population at AQU. It's 1 example of solid contraction ( I detest contraction but.....)
That's right, I knew the truth would finally come out of you.....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #13
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Parx just might be my favorite track--a toss-up between that one & Penn.

The Parx Festival of Giant Purses notwithstanding--most horsemen can't survive on the meager purses in the lower ranks. They absolutely MUST supplement their income at the windows, to continue on in the business.

My entire handicapping methods and logic are based on this fact--and Parx & Penn are a virtual wonderland of manipulation--from entering horses at the wrong distance, wrong class, getting a horse worked out WITHIN a race, etc...all designed and planned to keep bettors guessing. And eventually they look to cash @ big odds.

A lot of fans (and bettors) detest lower claiming ranks--they prefer their horses--and connections-- give 100% every time.

I get my kicks in the pursuit of figuring out exactly when "Today's The Day".

To each his own

-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #14
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg

The Parx Festival of Giant Purses notwithstanding--most horsemen can't survive on the meager purses in the lower ranks. They absolutely MUST supplement their income at the windows, to continue on in the business.

My entire handicapping methods and logic are based on this fact--and Parx & Penn are a virtual wonderland of manipulation--from entering horses at the wrong distance, wrong class, getting a horse worked out WITHIN a race, etc...all designed and planned to keep bettors guessing. And eventually they look to cash @ big odds.

A lot of fans (and bettors) detest lower claiming ranks--they prefer their horses--and connections-- give 100% every time.

To each his own

-NCG
All of that happens at Parx, as it does at virtually every track that has claiming races, but if there's anyplace that trainers can survive without betting, it's a track where $10,000 claimers run for $30,000 purses. So for your "bet to survive" theory, you probably couldn't have used a worse example than Parx because there isn't anywhere else that the purses are more inflated above the actual value of the horses.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #15
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg

To each his own

-NCG

Jockey Mychel Sanchez is really good at this
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply