Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
cougara

Taxes on split Pick 6 ticket

Long-time lurker (seriously, we're talking 5+ years ... have really enjoyed reading and learning, so thank you all), first-time poster here.

Three friends and I split a winning Pick 6 ticket in 2013. The bet was made from one of my friend's online accounts (DRF Bets if it matters), and now that it's tax time, we're all wondering how pros that go in on tickets together handle taxes on winnings.

Does that guy with the account just pay the taxes (presumably at his regular income rate?) and then we would reimburse him for that on the side? Do we each pay taxes on our portion of the winnings at our own income rates? How would that be documented? I've Googled around and seen talk of 5754s and 1099-MISC, but like I said, I figured it was time to sign up for the board and get advice from people who really know what they're doing. I would definitely prefer to do it on my own so I could deduct some losses from other sites, but I don't know if/how that's possible.

Any advice/recommendations are appreciated. I apologize for my obtuseness regarding this matter (and if I should be posting this in a different spot on the board). Thanks much for any help!
cougara is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Ocala Mike

DRF Bets will probably balk at providing more than one set of IRS forms indicating the necessary withholding. Having said that, HOWEVER, the account holder should call their Customer Relations, and explain that there were numerous "partners" to see if they would be willing to do the bookkeeping on this (doubtful, especially if the partners did not already have DRF Bets accounts; also, probably illegal).

The way this is handled in real life is that the account holder (your friend) bears the brunt of the withholding and/or gets the benefit of the refund at tax time (assuming he's got a lot of offsetting losses). The other partners are paid their share of the NET by the account holder, and they settle with him, either plus or minus, at tax time.

Last edited by Ocala Mike; 02-25-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
thaskalos

Do you have any documented proof that the proceeds from the ticket were shared by the four of you?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
cougara

Thanks for the replies, guys.

As far as documented proof goes, he sent us our equal share of the winnings via PayPal -- does that count?

I will have the account holder give them a call and see what they say ... I have a DRF Bets account, but two of the others do not, so it kind of sounds like we might be screwed either way here.

So, assuming they don't allow that, am I reading you correctly in that we should just have the friend pay all of the taxes at his personal tax rate and then reimburse him for that percentage?
cougara is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
lamboguy

i once was part of a large group that hit a signer in Palm Beach Hai-alai of all places. there were 20 of us and everyone signed there own wg2 form. the withholding's were divided up equally.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougara
Thanks for the replies, guys.

As far as documented proof goes, he sent us our equal share of the winnings via PayPal -- does that count?

I will have the account holder give them a call and see what they say ... I have a DRF Bets account, but two of the others do not, so it kind of sounds like we might be screwed either way here.

So, assuming they don't allow that, am I reading you correctly in that we should just have the friend pay all of the taxes at his personal tax rate and then reimburse him for that percentage?
Just 2 cents here...not any actual tax advice..
You could just sign a letter documenting the amounts pooled in and the amounts pooled out to each and then use that as documentation for gambling winnings etc (with all names and dates involved). However, if any of you have an accountant friend, ask them for some tips on this method too. However, the paypal transfers plus some sort of signed letter could serve as documentation if there is any audit at any time.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i once was part of a large group that hit a signer in Palm Beach Hai-alai of all places. there were 20 of us and everyone signed there own wg2 form. the withholding's were divided up equally.
Wow, lamboguy, I'm sure Palm Beach Jai Alai loved you guys. If this happened at OBS, the new manager there would probably have a "conniption fit." Suppose one of the 20 was an illegal alien, or a documented foreign citizen, or didn't have a Social Security Number? Boggles the mind, although I guess Palm Beach was following the letter of the law.

In the case we're discussing, however, it's a little different because the bet went through one individual's account, so I don't think the ADW is required or even allowed to split anything up.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
Wow, lamboguy, I'm sure Palm Beach Jai Alai loved you guys. If this happened at OBS, the new manager there would probably have a "conniption fit." Suppose one of the 20 was an illegal alien, or a documented foreign citizen, or didn't have a Social Security Number? Boggles the mind, although I guess Palm Beach was following the letter of the law.

In the case we're discussing, however, it's a little different because the bet went through one individual's account, so I don't think the ADW is required or even allowed to split anything up.
if i am correct, on individual adw accounts you are not allowed to put in bets for other people. if i am correct and i am almost positive, the guy putting in the bet for someone else did something illegal.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Ocala Mike

Well, technically, you're correct, and that's why they will almost certainly only consider one actual winner who does all the reporting. You and I know, however, that in the "real world," things aren't so cut and dried, which is why the partners have to come up with some equitable adjustmest between themselves.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
lamboguy

of course i know that, and most people don't abuse it either, but the law probably has something to do with bookmakers using the adw as a front or layoff office.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
iwearpurple

I can speak from experience, having hit on a lottery ticket split by many people.

One person claims the winnings, and then distributes each persons winnings (less withholding) to each participant.

He then fills out IRS Form 5754, which lists each individual that has a part of the winnings. That form is then filed with the original payer of the winnings so that separate W2G forms can be filled out by the original payer (in this case, the ADW).
iwearpurple is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwearpurple
I can speak from experience, having hit on a lottery ticket split by many people.

One person claims the winnings, and then distributes each persons winnings (less withholding) to each participant.

He then fills out IRS Form 5754, which lists each individual that has a part of the winnings. That form is then filed with the original payer of the winnings so that separate W2G forms can be filled out by the original payer (in this case, the ADW).
It works the same way with horses but it may be too late to involve the original payer. The following article offers a way that I believe should work. http://taxdood.com/2011/02/23/tax-im...s-at-the-wsop/
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
tanner12oz

Each of you kick him 10% of your individual hits and buy him a case of beer...
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
It works the same way with horses but it may be too late to involve the original payer. The following article offers a way that I believe should work. http://taxdood.com/2011/02/23/tax-im...s-at-the-wsop/

Awesome link! Too bad the IRS does not cut to the chase like that author! This writer gives hope to America!

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #15
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
if i am correct, on individual adw accounts you are not allowed to put in bets for other people. if i am correct and i am almost positive, the guy putting in the bet for someone else did something illegal.
This is not illegal at all .. It may be against the rules of the sites but it not illegal for friends to partner up on a ticket on an ADW. Or place bets for people ... Every bet u place on your ADW is for you. How u got the money to bet or what u do with the winnings is totally on u. I can't imagine what law would be violated.

I also wouldn't hold my breath on the ADW splitting up the taxes may be better off not even getting the ADW involved and just set something up they an accountant who knows what they r doing. I'm almost positive there is a work around for this.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply