Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
Andy Asaro

CHRB whip rule: NEW Enhanced penalties for Jockeys violating the rule.

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I wonder if Life Is Good misbehaving could be corrected without the new whip rules.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I wonder if Life Is Good misbehaving could be corrected without the new whip rules.
From what I understand the Breeders' Cup is on board with these rules. I hope that's not the case.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:18 AM   #4
biggestal99

Don’t whip a horse illegally.

Jersey is instituting a whip less meet upcoming.

Whipping a horse sours the public at large regarding horse racing.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
TonyK@HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Don’t whip a horse illegally.

Jersey is instituting a whip less meet upcoming.

Whipping a horse sours the public at large regarding horse racing.

Allan
Allan,

I think the current whip rules a bad for the game and detested by most bettors who keep the game alive. That being said there is no use for abuse in this wonderful game. The policies adopted by New York are adequate and seem to work quite well.

There ae no 'counting' rules in NY. The stewards watch each race and make a determination if a whip was overused or abused. Good old common sense. I realize this opens the door for the stews to be challenged on any individual race but that is not happening.

The ppl that invest money in this business want the whip to be available in the last 70yrds. Not to abuse but to get the best out of their horse.

In my experience, most folks that support limited strikes have little to no investment in the game. It's commendable that they are looking out for those fabulous horses but they are doing more damage to the game than good.

TonyK
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2021, 02:08 AM   #6
The_Turf_Monster

What’s the issue? The pp’s will adjust over time to account for not using a whip and handicapping will adjust for it.
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
What’s the issue? The pp’s will adjust over time to account for not using a whip and handicapping will adjust for it.
If I what up a crap sandwich enough times I’m sure I’d get used to it, do I want to? NO I’ll just keep betting less & less.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK@HSH View Post
Allan,

I think the current whip rules a bad for the game and detested by most bettors who keep the game alive. That being said there is no use for abuse in this wonderful game. The policies adopted by New York are adequate and seem to work quite well.

There ae no 'counting' rules in NY. The stewards watch each race and make a determination if a whip was overused or abused. Good old common sense. I realize this opens the door for the stews to be challenged on any individual race but that is not happening.

The ppl that invest money in this business want the whip to be available in the last 70yrds. Not to abuse but to get the best out of their horse.

In my experience, most folks that support limited strikes have little to no investment in the game. It's commendable that they are looking out for those fabulous horses but they are doing more damage to the game than good.

TonyK

Oh, yes.
The bettors.
A small and insignificant part of the game.
(... according to racing's elite.)
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #9
TonyK@HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I don't quiet buy that. Look at the replay for Penn National on Wed 3-19 race 11. The winner was favored at 2-1 and prevailed by a nose. If you watch the replay he hung badly after engaging the leader at the 1/8 pole. The jock told me that if he could have used the whip once or twice he would have run right past the leader. instead the bettor had to endure a long stretch drive and nearly got beat.

My experience is that most horses do need a little encouragement, not abuse, to guarantee there best effort.
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #10
The_Turf_Monster

I’m not going to argue that the whip doesn’t have an effect on a horse’s performance but if you take it away, that makes other handicapping techniques more important
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

You guys are ignoring all those horses that fell dead in the stretch after being whipped. Over the years it must be thousands..........
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
Andy Asaro

Old 03-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #13
Andy Asaro

Old 03-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #14
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Hey Andy:

I don't really know you (okay I don't know you at all)...but I've recently seen your name on several big handicapping contests' leaderboards.

I just assumed you were a twitter geek, since I haven't seen you post about anything "ON" topic.

Right on, dude...I have a new-found respect for you

-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #15
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
Hey Andy:

I don't really know you (okay I don't know you at all)...but I've recently seen your name on several big handicapping contests' leaderboards.

I just assumed you were a twitter geek, since I haven't seen you post about anything "ON" topic.

Right on, dude...I have a new-found respect for you

-NCG
Started playing in contests on a regular basis about a year and a half ago. Have had some success. One of the big things about them is that I lost my way with too many horizontal wagers and spreading in them. Contests force you to go back to like 1 horse best and that mindset helped a lot.

On a side note I'm a lot more involved in issues in racing than most people think. Been working in support of the Jocks on this whip issue for a long time. Have another deal I'm working on to help grow the game as well.

Best, A