Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 AM   #1
linrom1
Veteran

Article on Maloney?

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...st/3436965002/

He’s given a large, windowless office in which to work. It has a refrigerator, his own wagering machine and a large desk

When do they cut tote access for this guy? We need fixed-odds wagering to level the field. The industry is making everything possible to help these guys rob parimutuel bettors!
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #2
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post

He’s given a large, windowless office in which to work. It has a refrigerator, his own wagering machine and a large desk

When do they cut tote access for this guy? We need fixed-odds wagering to level the field. The industry is making everything possible to help these guys rob parimutuel bettors!
We have you to level the field for the rest of us.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #3
baconswitchfarm

Quote:

I'm in the next office. We have six offices in a row. two are empty . Come out and bring your money . Then you'll be a professional too because you'll have a large desk and a fridge.
baconswitchfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Shut up and bet.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconswitchfarm View Post
I'm in the next office. We have six offices in a row. two are empty . Come out and bring your money . Then you'll be a professional too because you'll have a large desk and a fridge.
What a cesspool parimutuel wagering must had been during late '90s and early decade this era? We know now that one could wager past post; have tote operators create winning tickets; hide wagering machines so they could not be inspected and accounted for and own your own tote company.

Now that's an edge. Do you guys still offer those deals?
Old 04-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Guys like Maloney are tight-lipped about their betting. First of all, he doesn’t mention anything about rebates, if it weren’t for rebates, I believe, he’d be in the red; second, he doesn’t say anything about which tracks he plays, probably raids the pools of minor tracks; third he doesn’t mention anything about what type of bets he makes. Things that handicappers would like to know.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Guys like Maloney are tight-lipped about their betting. First of all, he doesn’t mention anything about rebates, if it weren’t for rebates, I believe, he’d be in the red; second, he doesn’t say anything about which tracks he plays, probably raids the pools of minor tracks; third he doesn’t mention anything about what type of bets he makes. Things that handicappers would like to know.
Tight lipped? He wrote a book outlying exactly how he plays the races!

Like most successful gamblers guys like Mike play where they have an edge. Sure his focus will be on Churchill come Friday and Saturday but if he sees that there is a bias at another track (major or minor), he will be all over it.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
baconswitchfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Tight lipped? He wrote a book outlying exactly how he plays the races!

Like most successful gamblers guys like Mike play where they have an edge. Sure his focus will be on Churchill come Friday and Saturday but if he sees that there is a bias at another track (major or minor), he will be all over it.

He is the most comfortable out in the public eye person of any of the real professional guys I know.
baconswitchfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
jahura2

I've known Mike well for over 45 years. I can tell you there is no bigger advocate for the horseplayer than him. He started out scratching out profits in the early 70's then took his game to another level. No one works harder than Mike and no one supports the every day player more than Mike does.
It cracks me up when people make assumptions about a winning player when they dont know the person at all. Tight lipped? as Metro so astutely pointed out Mike was willing to write a book about his process, the problem is its too much work for most people but its out there for all to read. Despite the fact that he has left most of us all behind he is still honest as the day is long and really is a true horseplayer and fan like most of us. But unlike most of us he is on another level. Dont be snide or jealous of him, try to learn from him and his habits.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Maloney Baloney

Quote:

maybe if you get some suckers in a room together, you could convince them that this was why they were losing, and you could drum up some business

but when it's your serious opinion...
Old 04-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
thaskalos

At my local OTB, they'll give you your own private room with a desk and a betting machine...and all you have to do is bet about $50 a race. And if you flash them a fat bankroll, not only can you get a refrigerator...they'll throw in the microwave oven too.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
the little guy

You have jumped the shark when you criticize Mike Maloney. If only the world was made up of more people like him.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:

Don't hate...CONGRATULATE! The man is a role model...not a villain.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #14
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Don't hate...CONGRATULATE! The man is a role model...not a villain.
I don't care for guys like that; I don't care for guys that work for Wall Street either.

If some guys here look up to guys like that, I think that perhaps they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome or some sort of dementia.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #15
AndyC

Quote:
I don't care for guys like that; I don't care for guys that work for Wall Street either.

If some guys here look up to guys like that, I think that perhaps they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome or some sort of dementia.
You beg the question, guys like what?