Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-31-2023, 08:48 PM   #16
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

The ol' Southwest-to-Jim Beam-to-Arkie Derby path to glory.

Never duplicated.

A streak that can't last forever.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #17
classhandicapper

I thought it was an above average effort in about an average Grade 3 field for 3yos at this time of year. Races like are generally going to contain impressive maiden winners, NW1 winners, and minor stakes winners. He's going to have to get better to compete with the best in the crop, but he's in good hands and has had only 2 starts. So that's very likely. It's the how much better we don't know yet.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:27 AM   #18
lamboguy

everyone is getting hyped up about this horse because Baffert showed up personally for the race. maybe he didn't have anything better to do with his time that day!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #19
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
everyone is getting hyped up about this horse because Baffert showed up personally for the race. maybe he didn't have anything better to do with his time that day!
I'm thinking he only showed up personally because of the scheduling conflict - Southwest is now a little earlier than past years, and clashed with the Pegasus. Jimmy Barnes has been the one shipping with the horses to Oaklawn since 2011 - but he was at Gulfstream with Defunded - who from earlier reports/concerns, is not the best shipper. Don't think Baffert was quite to the point of sending the "3rd-ranked" guy/gal in the barn with the horse, and maybe figured Arabian Knight was good enough to break the superstition against coming that he appears to have had.

Last edited by BarchCapper; 02-01-2023 at 12:12 PM.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2023, 12:06 PM   #20
v j stauffer

Quote:
That's not why I got hyped up. I couldn't care less where Baffert chose to spend his Saturday.

I'm excited because I think he EXTREMELY talented.

One thing I think people tend to forget is Baffert's horses are not as one dimensional as it seems earlier in their careers.

Yes, early on he tells his riders to go hell bent for leather early. The plan is to run the others into the ground and in the beginning preps it works.

But it doesn't mean as the competition gets tougher those horses aren't capable or can't be taught to rate, sit and finish.

So far both visually and numbers wise ARABIAN KNIGHT is near the head of the class. FORTE and CAVE ROCK not withstanding.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:41 PM   #21
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post

So far both visually and numbers wise ARABIAN KNIGHT is near the head of the class. FORTE and CAVE ROCK not withstanding.
CAVE ROCK may BE "standing with" some others - but he's not really running yet:

https://www.drf.com/news/cave-rock-y...ab-rebel-doubt

PSA: Wait Until May!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2023, 01:58 PM   #22
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
I'm thinking he only showed up personally because of the scheduling conflict - Southwest is now a little earlier than past years, and clashed with the Pegasus. Jimmy Barnes has been the one shipping with the horses to Oaklawn since 2011 - but he was at Gulfstream with Defunded - who from earlier reports/concerns, is not the best shipper. Don't think Baffert was quite to the point of sending the "3rd-ranked" guy/gal in the barn with the horse, and maybe figured Arabian Knight was good enough to break the superstition against coming that he appears to have had.
i had 5 guys call me after the race that think that this horse is great because Baffert would have gone to Florida if he wasn't. i wasn't that impressed with this horse and don't care what number they gave him. personally i am more interested in seeing the bottom horse in Gulfstream's 7th race run today in his first start
Old 02-01-2023, 02:07 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
i had 5 guys call me after the race
I shudder to think why a fast food chain would be calling about a horse...I thought that was illegal in this country.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:12 PM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post

I'm excited because I think he EXTREMELY talented.
Yea.

This is a good one.

The stuff regarding 'Derby winners who have used Southwest' is 'trivia'.

Arabian Knight may have been entered as a dry run for Arkansas Derby(, or not).
What he isn't, is a typical Southwest contestant who ran a surprising race.
This is one of the top prospects.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:17 PM   #25
classhandicapper

I just watched the replays for all the races and I'd have to say I think the best trip was inside with some speed. Granted, that's always a pretty good trip, but I think inside and speed may have been slightly better than average.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:36 PM   #26
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I just watched the replays for all the races and I'd have to say I think the best trip was inside with some speed. Granted, that's always a pretty good trip, but I think inside and speed may have been slightly better than average.
Once he broke perfectly, it was just a workout.
Couldn't have been an easier trip.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #27
lamboguy

Quote:
i had 5 guys call me after the race that think that this horse is great because Baffert would have gone to Florida if he wasn't. i wasn't that impressed with this horse and don't care what number they gave him. personally i am more interested in seeing the bottom horse in Gulfstream's 7th race run today in his first start
the horse i liked ran dead last, and the horse that ran 3rd to the Southwest winner had a less than impressive 3rd.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:28 PM   #28
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I shudder to think why a fast food chain would be calling about a horse...I thought that was illegal in this country.
I see what you did there

Old 02-01-2023, 08:58 PM   #29
Gamblin4ever

Unless something changes, the horse has to go to another trainer very soon. Baffert not training him in the Derby will keep him from winning. Excuse now given.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2023, 10:50 PM   #30
Publius

Southwest was run on Presidents weekend in years past prior to Oaklawn changing their racing dates.

Comparing years past to today is now outdated.

Arabian Knight looked fantastic but has more to prove. If we look at speed figures he has not run as fast as Cave Rock or Forte. It would be nice to see some of these horses race a few times in the next few months. Sitting in the barn and running 2 times in 3year old year prior is not so good.

Hopefully the prep races in March and early April are spirited contests with top contenders entered.
Publius is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: