Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-18-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
Blenheim
Race Player

Arkansas Attracts 99; May Split

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...99-nominations
Tiz the Law's Knowlton: "We'll stay here on the East Coast and see what happens," Knowlton said. "I don't want to face (trainer) Bob Baffert until I have to."

Last edited by Blenheim; 04-18-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
Afleet

4 Arkansas derbies-that would be a interesting pick 4 sequence
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Going to be 2 anyway.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #4
boys at tosconova

good read,,,,but i lol'd at this further down about fonner park

While conducting spectatorless
racing since that date in a state that
does not permit ADW wagering—
all handle is coming from outof-state—wagering has averaged
$2.43 million.

Those figures do
not include the phenomenal $7.26
million bet Tuesday, April 5 when
the track's popular Dinsdale
Pick 5 Jackpot wager featured a
mandatory payout pool of $4.2
million.

In short, wagering is about
10 times the previous norm

nuttn like loading up on 5k claimers
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
Afleet

https://www.drf.com/news/charlatan-m...as-derby-field

As of Wednesday, Daily Racing Form had 16 confirmed entrants for the Arkansas Derby, a Grade 1, $750,000 race at 1 1/8 miles. Pat Pope, the racing secretary at Oaklawn, on Wednesday said he would only split the race if he gets at least 20 entrants, which would enable him to run two fields of at least 10. Pope said if the race is split, it would be run in two divisions worth $500,000 each, meaning Oaklawn would put up an additional $250,000.

Charlatan may not get in
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
groupie doll

Now they are saying (per Bloodhorse) that they need 20-24 to commit in order to split. Probably erring on the side of caution in case the connections of some drop out. Hope they can get 5 or 6 more... this would really be cool as a split race with 2 half mill purses.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #7
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
You know Derby fever is bad when American Theorem--who had to bow out of the BC Juvenile due to injury--is bum-rushed into the Rebel, gets obliterated by a pole, and now repacked and shipped back to Oaklawn for more of the same...all for a race that has been postponed until September.

Too bad there doesn't appear to be an undercard race like the Northern Dancer for Charlatan as a back up.

Speaking of the BC Juvenile, is there a worse renewal than last year's? I know the year is still young and Eight Rings is coming back this weekend, but that race is thus far a fiasco save for a couple wins by also-rans in some bloated stakes races at Remington Park and Saudi Arabia of all places.

At least the 2003 BC Juvenile produced Relaxed Gesture, who came back to win the Canadian International as an older horse.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
You know Derby fever is bad when American Theorem--who had to bow out of the BC Juvenile due to injury--is bum-rushed into the Rebel, gets obliterated by a pole, and now repacked and shipped back to Oaklawn for more of the same...all for a race that has been postponed until September.

Too bad there doesn't appear to be an undercard race like the Northern Dancer for Charlatan as a back up.

Speaking of the BC Juvenile, is there a worse renewal than last year's? I know the year is still young and Eight Rings is coming back this weekend, but that race is thus far a fiasco save for a couple wins by also-rans in some bloated stakes races at Remington Park and Saudi Arabia of all places.

At least the 2003 BC Juvenile produced Relaxed Gesture, who came back to win the Canadian International as an older horse.
I'm not a big fan of American Theorem but he's a better horse than what he exhibited in the Rebel if his previous two starts are any guide. I doubt 9F at all in his wheelhouse even if left alone up front.

I don't buy the Charlatan hype yet. He might end up becoming an elite miler. He beat two very short and underwhelming fields, horses that should get pounded. I will make a Speightstown colt prove he can go 9F before I give any Derby consideration. We've already seen one horse by the name of Independence Hall crush some early competition before having more difficulty beating more class while going longer.

Agree the most recent BCJ has not produced. I think the BCJ has produced six Derby winners but only two that actually won the BCJ, most recently Nyquist. Good Magic most recent came back to place behind Justify.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
I'm not a big fan of American Theorem but he's a better horse than what he exhibited in the Rebel if his previous two starts are any guide. I doubt 9F at all in his wheelhouse even if left alone up front.
Looks like he has some talent but it also looks like there'll be a good chance it goes wasted by forcing him into spots he doesn't appear ready for.

Quote:
I don't buy the Charlatan hype yet. He might end up becoming an elite miler. He beat two very short and underwhelming fields, horses that should get pounded. I will make a Speightstown colt prove he can go 9F before I give any Derby consideration. We've already seen one horse by the name of Independence Hall crush some early competition before having more difficulty beating more class while going longer.
Agreed on the pedigree. Speightstown can get a route horse but typically these are on turf (this was the same for his own sire, the brilliant miler Gone West). Furthermore, there is a lot of turf on Charlatan's bottom side, though his dam was a solid middle distance horse on the dirt at 9f.

In keeping with the obvious comparison to Justify up to this point, some might dismiss the pedigree because Justify was also by a stallion (Scat Daddy) light on stamina. However, the key difference is that Justify body-wise was not your typical Scat Daddy offspring (on the smaller side). Justify had the physique of a "freak", tipping the scales at over 1250 lbs. Charlatan does not appear to be in that category in terms of physical presence.

Another AK Derby entrant is Shooter's Shoot who has won back-to-back starts and is stepping up here. Charlatan toyed with him in his maiden win. If Charlatan does not draw into the race then at least Shooter's Shoot can serve as a bit of a barometer if the speed figures are not enough to convince.

Quote:
Agree the most recent BCJ has not produced. I think the BCJ has produced six Derby winners but only two that actually won the BCJ, most recently Nyquist. Good Magic most recent came back to place behind Justify.
Yep, the BC Juvenile has been fairly productive over the years for the Triple Crown races despite the actual winners of the Juvenile not faring particularly well. Also-rans aplenty have done well: Tank's Prospect, Spend A Buck, Alysheba, Bet Twice, Go and Go, Pine Bluff, Sea Hero, etc. But I doubt that's the case this year.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

This is exactly why I voted for the turf horse (can't even remember the name!) for the Eclipse. The was one goofy track that day in my opinion and I thought the results were more fluky than anything else. The top 4 are 0-9 since with one second and one third.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
This is exactly why I voted for the turf horse (can't even remember the name!) for the Eclipse. The was one goofy track that day in my opinion and I thought the results were more fluky than anything else. The top 4 are 0-9 since with one second and one third.
That race was terrible no matter how you slice it and no matter what the reason.

The crop looked weak and slow going into the race.

The race came up slow.

The top 3 finishers were all mediocre horses that went off 45-1, 28-1, and 39-1.

The only horses that looked they could break out and be something significant were Dennis's Moment who never lifted a hoof after his bad start and came back just as bad (I bet against him) and Eight Rings who imo was a bit over hyped based on a bias aided win the American Pharoah (I bet against him that day and yesterday too).
Old 04-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
luisbe

Confirmed two divisions, 21 horses in.

Last edited by luisbe; 04-26-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add s to division
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2020, 01:53 AM   #13
stewball1127
Journeyman

Zero chance they were running that race without Charlatan.

The Racing Secretary was on the phone with every trainer that had a 3 YO breathing in their barn.
stewball1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply