Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
cj's dad

Bautista

This guy has to be most annoying and unprofessional baseball player in the major leagues. His antics at the plate is what have led to him being targeted by most MLB teams.

The actions of the Jays fans that led to a child being hurt are disgraceful. I wish they would stick to ice hockey
Old 10-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
ManU918

I'm honestly pulling for anyone but the Jays because of Bautista. That is saying a lot as a Phillies fan. I hate the Mets and Dodgers with a passion but cant stand to watch this guy. Also lets not forget he had 116 At Bats in the MLB as a 23 and 24 year old and didn't hit a single HR. Hits 16, 15, 15, 12, 3, 13 over the next 6 seasons... Then goes 54, 43, 27, 28, 35 and 40 this year. You want to talk about a big name player who is getting away with using PED's....

Last edited by ManU918; 10-14-2015 at 10:12 PM.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisontheBay
This guy has to be most annoying and unprofessional baseball player in the major leagues. His antics at the plate is what have led to him being targeted by most MLB teams.

The actions of the Jays fans that led to a child being hurt are disgraceful. I wish they would stick to ice hockey
He's a thug and so is their fanbase, what an embarrassment. Funny thing was the umps got the call right, fans were protesting a call that was called correctly.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
MutuelClerk

The Jays fans were terrible throwing things on the field. The bat flip was probably a little much. If you don't wanna see the bat flip, don't throw the gopher ball. As far as the PED accusations, these guys are tested a lot. I see Bautista preserving and figuring it out. Kind of like what's happening with JD Martinez of the Tigers. Two guys nearly out of the game eventually becoming All-Stars.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
Greyfox

C'mon guys. Toronto hasn't won anything in decades in any sport.
Give those fans a break for penting up their frustrations for so many years.
The Blue Jays lost the first two games.
Only 7 teams out of 81 had ever in baseball's long history been able to overcome that deep a deficit and win a five game series. Hat's off to them.
Bautista ? Like him or not, he turned in a clutch performance in a most electric pressure packed situation. Players who can produce peak performances under that type of pressure are my type of athletes in any sport.

Last edited by Greyfox; 10-15-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
C'mon guys. Toronto hasn't won anything in decades in any sport.
Give those fans a break for penting up their frustrations for so many years.
The Blue Jays lost the first two games.
Only 7 teams out of 81 had ever in baseball's long history been able to overcome that deep a deficit and win a five game series. Hat's off to them.
Bautista ? Like him or not, he turned in a clutch performance in a most electric pressure packed situation. Players who can produce peak performances under that type of pressure are my type of athletes in any sport.
There are lots of cities that haven't won anything for a long time, or EVER. They don't act like idiots and throw things all over the field and hit their own fans in lower decks. It was disgraceful.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
There are lots of cities that haven't won anything for a long time, or EVER. They don't act like idiots and throw things all over the field and hit their own fans in lower decks. It was disgraceful.
It was disgraceful and I'm sure many Torontonians are embarrassed by it today.
I'm also sure many fans didn't 1. know what happened in the top of the 7 th inning and 2. didn't know the rule.
The catcher to bat carom is a rare event in baseball.
The fans mistakenly thought that Choo put his bat out deliberately and also thought that the Umpire had waved the play dead.
They were very confused and obviously angry about the outcome.
But throwing beer tins is unacceptable.
Whether or not that would have happened in other cities is debatable.
It could have happened elsewhere too.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
thaskalos

The fan reaction in Toronto was reprehensible...but the players cannot be blamed for any of that. The Toronto players were shown repeatedly trying to quiet down their fans...with little success.

The Bautista bat-flip incident was totally overblown...as are the more modest bat-flip incidents that we see in baseball. The pitchers consider these to be "classless displays", which go against the way baseball should be played...and yet...the pitchers too often exhibit such "classless" emotional displays on the mound, after recording a key strikeout in the game...and nothing is ever made out of it. If a pitcher can show emotion on the mound after a key strikeout...then the batter should be able to react in the same way after a key home run. And Bautista's home run was about as "key" as it gets.

In any case, it was a great series...and I enjoyed it thoroughly, overall. That's the strange thing about baseball. The regular season may be excruciating boring...but the POST season is anything but. To me...post-season baseball has always been the most enthralling entertainment around.

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-15-2015 at 03:12 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The fan reaction in Toronto was reprehensible...but the players cannot be blamed for any of that. The Toronto players were shown repeatedly trying to quiet down their fans...with little success.

The Bautista bat-flip incident was totally overblown...as are the more modest bat-flip incidents that we see in baseball. The pitchers consider these to be "classless displays", which go against the way baseball should be played...and yet...the pitchers too often exhibit such "classless" emotional displays on the mound, after recording a key strikeout in the game...and nothing is ever made out of it. If a pitcher can show emotion on the mound after a key strikeout...then the batter should be able to react in the same way after a key home run. And Bautista's home run was about as "key" as it gets.

In any case, it was a great series...and I enjoyed it thoroughly, overall. That's the strange thing about baseball. The regular season may be excruciating boring...but the POST season is anything but. To me...post-season baseball has always been the most enthralling entertainment around.
If the players show no class how can the fans be expected to show class. I blame Brett Lawrie for the bad 'culture' in Toronto.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
If the players show no class how can the fans be expected to show class. I blame Brett Lawrie for the bad 'culture' in Toronto.
Please enlighten us on Brett Lawrie.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
jballscalls

the fans were classless.

Bautista didn't do anything wrong. Big moment and he admired it. So what. The baseball code on stuff like that is stupid.

Michael Jordan jumping and fist pumping after hitting shot against the Cavs, tiger fist pumping on the green, any touchdown celebration are just as "bad". Yet those are great historic celebrations. Pudge Fisk waving the ball fair was more elaborate than what Bautista did. And that's a classic moment.

Last edited by jballscalls; 10-15-2015 at 03:54 PM.
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I guess you are right. Bautista should have remained stoic at the batter's box...and then made an unemotional trot around the bases. Then we would all gather here and talk about how "classy" his behavior was.

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-15-2015 at 04:03 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I guess you are right. Bautista should have remained stoic at the batter's box...and then made an unemotional trot around the bases. Then we would all gather here and talk about how "classy" his behavior was.
What about yelling Mer Fer at someone from the dugout, I guess that was pretty classy, no?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
the fans were classless.

Bautista didn't do anything wrong. Big moment and he admired it. So what. The baseball code on stuff like that is stupid.

Michael Jordan jumping and fist pumping after hitting shot against the Cavs, tiger fist pumping on the green, any touchdown celebration are just as "bad". Yet those are great historic celebrations. Pudge Fisk waving the ball fair was more elaborate than what Bautista did. And that's a classic moment.
Certain players can 'get away with' behaviors that others cannot. Also, there's a difference between being excited for yourself and your team and rubbing salt into the open wound of the opponent.

The specific 'admiration' wasnt so bad, the problem is that the person doing the admiring is unlikeable and not respected by most sports fans (sans Toronto of course) .
Old 10-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo
Please enlighten us on Brett Lawrie.
If you've watched his career in Toronto , you don't need enlightenment, if you haven't seen him play, I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help.