Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
Valuist

Ok City Thunder

in a brutal scheduling spot tonight. Not only a back to back, not only a 4 games in 5 days, but 6 games in 8 days. And going into altitude.

I will be very impressed if the Thunder can take this.

Utah +1
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
in a brutal scheduling spot tonight. Not only a back to back, not only a 4 games in 5 days, but 6 games in 8 days. And going into altitude.

Utah +1
Maybe they can do as well as the Bulls who played seven games in nine nights between Jan.3 and Jan. 11. Two back to backs and a back to back to back. The Bulls won six of those seven games.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
mostpost

Quote:

Utah +1
You do realize that this is the end of six games in eight days. Four wins in those six games. Good, but not as good.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The Thunder already won 4 games in 5 nights and a back to back to back. That was part of a 5 wins in 6 nights stretch. Nice try though.

Last edited by cj; 02-11-2012 at 01:10 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The Thunder already won 4 games in 5 nights and a back to back to back. That was part of a 5 wins in 6 nights stretch. Nice try though.
Not so fast Bunky! If the schedule/results on the Thunder website is right, you are wrong.
Feb.1-Dallas Win.
Feb 2.- Off
Feb 3- Memphis Win.
Feb. 4 San Antonio Loss
Feb.5 Off
Feb. 6 Portland Win.
Feb. 7 Golden State WIn.
Feb. 8 off
Feb. 9 Sacremento Loss.
Feb. 10 Utah Win

Four wins in five games between Feb. 1 and Feb 7. No back to back to back.

ETA: The Chicago Bulls will be giving lessons in how to play the game of basketball on April 1 in Oklahoma City.

Last edited by mostpost; 02-11-2012 at 02:07 AM.
mostpost is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
You do realize that this is the end of six games in eight days. Four wins in those six games. Good, but not as good.
I'm well aware of that fact. The fact that it is the end makes it even more impressive. I give credit to the Thunder. Obviously we all know they are a very good team but often in the NBA bad scheduling trumps a talent advantage. Didn't happen last night. But it does more often than not.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Valuist

Quote:
Maybe they can do as well as the Bulls who played seven games in nine nights between Jan.3 and Jan. 11. Two back to backs and a back to back to back. The Bulls won six of those seven games.
A couple points here. At January 3rd, the season was basically one week old. It was impressive but debateable as to how the fatigue effected them that early on.

I'm a Bulls fan myself, but I'm not crazy for the way Thibideux (sp?) is riding the starters with high minutes. Derrick Rose shouldn't even have been in uniform the last 3 games. Absolutely no need to suit him up against a team like New Orleans. Hopefully the high minutes won't have a cumulative negative effect when the post season comes.

Contrast that with Popovich. A couple weeks ago the Spurs were in Dallas and fell behind by 18 midway thru the 3rd quarter. He pulled all his starters. The bench came in and got them back into the game. But Popovich never brought the starters back. The game went into OT and Dallas ended up winning but none of the Spurs starters played over 30 minutes. They had a game the next day in Memphis. With their starters still fresh, the Spurs had no problem handling the Grizzlies. That probably wouldn't been the case if Parker, Duncan and the rest of the starters had put up over 40 minutes of playing time.

Last edited by Valuist; 02-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
BetHorses!

They are very talented. I actually predicted them to win it all last season, that was too bold even for CJ a die hard fan who has a good read on them daily.

In regards to the road trip, always did better going against a team the first game back at home after a long road trip, you get plus points with the road team....Utah again is next after 4 days off....its a tough bet to make.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
I'm a Bulls fan myself, but I'm not crazy for the way Thibideux (sp?) is riding the starters with high minutes. Derrick Rose shouldn't even have been in uniform the last 3 games. Absolutely no need to suit him up against a team like New Orleans. Hopefully the high minutes won't have a cumulative negative effect when the post season comes.
I couldn't agree more. This has been going on since Thibs got here. There were times last year when the Bulls were up 20 in the 4th and Rose would play eight or nine minutes in the quarter. (Actually, Vinny Del Idiot did it too now that I think about it.) And we are talking about a team with guys that play both ends of the floor -- no coasting on the D-end. The window on this team is smaller than it may appear.

Last edited by headhawg; 02-11-2012 at 10:24 AM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Not so fast Bunky! If the schedule/results on the Thunder website is right, you are wrong.
No, I'm not wrong, you just need to take of the Bulls colored glasses when you read. This is from the Thunder web site.

Fri 06 vs Houston W 109-94
Sat 07 @ Houston W 98-95
Sun 08 vs San Antonio W 108-96
Tue 10 @ Memphis W 100-95
Wed 11 @ New Orleans W 95-85

Once again, the East clearly stinks compared to the West, which makes the record of the Thunder all that more impressive.

Last edited by cj; 02-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I'm well aware of that fact. The fact that it is the end makes it even more impressive. I give credit to the Thunder. Obviously we all know they are a very good team but often in the NBA bad scheduling trumps a talent advantage. Didn't happen last night. But it does more often than not.
I imagine it is probably because the Thunder are so young, but they very rarely fall because of tough scheduling.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
A couple points here. At January 3rd, the season was basically one week old. It was impressive but debateable as to how the fatigue effected them that early on.

Contrast that with Popovich. A couple weeks ago the Spurs were in Dallas and fell behind by 18 midway thru the 3rd quarter. He pulled all his starters. The bench came in and got them back into the game. But Popovich never brought the starters back. The game went into OT and Dallas ended up winning but none of the Spurs starters played over 30 minutes. They had a game the next day in Memphis. With their starters still fresh, the Spurs had no problem handling the Grizzlies. That probably wouldn't been the case if Parker, Duncan and the rest of the starters had put up over 40 minutes of playing time.
OKC does the same thing. Luckily, they have had several blowouts where starters didn't even play the 4th quarter. It is going to be a factor come April.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetHorses!
They are very talented. I actually predicted them to win it all last season, that was too bold even for CJ a die hard fan who has a good read on them daily.

In regards to the road trip, always did better going against a team the first game back at home after a long road trip, you get plus points with the road team....Utah again is next after 4 days off....its a tough bet to make.
We won't lose to Utah.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
No, I'm not wrong, you just need to take of the Bulls colored glasses when you read. This is from the Thunder web site.

Fri 06 vs Houston W 109-94
Sat 07 @ Houston W 98-95
Sun 08 vs San Antonio W 108-96
Tue 10 @ Memphis W 100-95
Wed 11 @ New Orleans W 95-85

Once again, the East clearly stinks compared to the West, which makes the record of the Thunder all that more impressive.
I don't necessarily think there's more good teams in the West, but there are definitely more $hitty teams in the East. Outside of OkC, who's in the West? Dallas doesn't seem to be as strong this year. Clippers will definitely miss Billups. San Antonio is too old. And the Lakers? Are they even relevant any more?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I don't necessarily think there's more good teams in the West, but there are definitely more $hitty teams in the East. Outside of OkC, who's in the West? Dallas doesn't seem to be as strong this year. Clippers will definitely miss Billups. San Antonio is too old. And the Lakers? Are they even relevant any more?
That is my point though, some teams in the East are so bad you can beat them with your 8 through 12 guys. That isn't happening in the West outside of maybe New Orleans.

There are only two teams that can possibly win the East. Philly, Atlanta, Indiana, Orlando, and Boston are all phonies in my eyes that wouldn't be above a 6 seed if they played in the West. Memphis wouldn't even make the playoffs now, they'd challenge for a 3 seed in the East.

I honestly only see three teams capable of winning the title this year. That doesn't mean the Thunder will win the West, but they are the only team that can beat the Bulls/Heat in a 7 game series. I would say the West comes down to LA2, OKC, and SA. The Spurs are old, but they are playing it smart and Parker looks really, really good this year. The loss of Billups hurts the Clippers, but Paul is so good they can beat anyone on any given night.