Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-26-2021, 04:17 PM   #1
Teach

"Big Red"

Lucille Ball, Molly Ringwald, and Donna (on the “70’s Show”). What do (did) all these women have in common? They're all redheads. I love redheads. I've once told my wife that if she ever dyed her hair red, she’d never get out of bed!

Yet, when it comes to the game of craps, the word "Red," or more specifically "Big Red" is something you don't want to hear (that is unless you bet "the don'ts"). It refers to the dreaded #7. That's why it was so unusual that a "Big Red" actually helped me have a winning craps-session.

In the mid-1990s, I was staying at Vegas’s Circus Circus, but I decided to shoot craps across the street at the Riviera. I recall I bought in at a $10 table. I threw a "Bennie on the baize” and called out "cheques." "Any action?" the dealer on my side of the table asked. I said, "No."

Whenever I shoot craps I like to start slowly. I try to gauge the table's "temperature." Is it hot? Is it cold? Is it choppy? Of the three, choppy is the worst. It becomes a guessing game. I'm generally a "right" bettor. Thus, I usually play the pass line.

Unfortunately, that night at the Riviera, the table was choppy. I was tempted, after about ten minutes, to go back to Circus Circus. Yet, I hung around only because I've seen tables "turn on a dime." Timing, or more specifically, being in the right place at the right time, is crucial in the game of craps. In any activity, for the matter. In this case, my timing was poor. I had practically lost all my chips.

But, suddenly, things began to change. It just so happens that, at that moment, this tall, attractive redhead took a spot on the rail next to me. She started asking me all kinds of questions about craps. Frankly, I didn't have the time. I said, "Watch me. If you like, bet what I bet." I was on the outer hook and the beautiful redhead (I'll simply call her "Big Red" was to my left at SR2). The shooter was to my immediate right --- “straight-out.”

The shooter lets the cubes fly. When they come to rest, the stickman calls out, "Winner seven. Pay the line." I had two redbirds on the pass line ($10) and was given two more by the dealer. "Big Red" followed suit and received the same payoff. The shooter then reloads and let’s fly. The "stick" calls out, "Yo-eleven. Pay the line. Take the don'ts." Another ten dollar profit for me and for "Big Red". Wouldn’t ya know it, the shooter comes right back with another seven (that's three "naturals" in a row). I'm really beginning to feel that "the worm has turned."

On his next throw, the shooter throws a number (I believe it was an 8). "Big Red" asks, "What do I do now?" We each had $10 pass line bets. I said, "Take free odds." She asked, "What's that?" I said, "Put $10 in chips behind your pass line bet as I'm doing (she watched me take two red chips and place them, offset, behind my two pass-line chips). Wouldn't you know it, about three or four throws later it's "ocho suave" (soft eight). Or, if you prefer: “Eighters from Decatur”. Two reds for my pass line bet and $12 in chips for my $10 free odds. "Big Red" had followed suit.

The shooter had done very well, but he did seven-out on his next roll. The dice, moving in a clockwise fashion, came to me. I recall starting off by throwing a hard four ("Little Joe"). It's a tough number, but I still put $10 free odds behind my pass line bet. Wouldn't you know it, I nailed the 4. The dealer calls out, "cuatro duro." I'm thinking, "Tan fantastico!" I make $10 on my pass and $20 profit on my free odds (2 for 1).

At this time, I'm looking down at my chips on the rail. I've certainly replenished my larder. I've gone from being down $80 to up $60. On my next come-out, I threw a 7. Ten more dollars. And I made another point right after that. "Big Red" to my left is all smiles. She doesn't really know what she's doing, but she's got enough chips to buy dinner at a five-star restaurant.

I do eventually seven-out, but not before I had a very decent roll. Next to shoot is my red-headed "friend." She tells me she's never shot craps before. That would qualify her toss as a "virgin roll." That usually has a positive connotation. And, it might add, "Big Red" did not disappoint. She hit some "naturals" and made some “numbers”. She must have held the dice for about ten minutes. When she finally did seven-out, both of us had a veritable "vegetable garden" (green chips) in front of his along with the “redbirds” and dollar "whities."

After "Big Red" sevened-out, I decided I wasn't pressing my luck any further. "Coloring up," I called out. I had accumulated over $350 in chips. Before I left, I dropped a "greenie" on the felt "for the boys" and wished everyone, especially "Big Red" the best.

As I walked out of the Riviera and headed across the street to Circus Circus, I couldn't help but think how strange my craps session had been. Here was the phrase, "Big Red" (the number 7) that's an anathema to most crapsters; yet this particular "Big Red" brought me loads of luck. Go figure. Only in Las Vegas.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
BIG RED
Son O'War

Old 01-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #3
king kong

Moon & Stars

Wheres Yiddles?
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply