Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Jocks who "move out of the way"

Seen this again in the 3rd race at Hollywood today, the guy riding the 4 just moved out of the way so the 1 could slip thru, and also the 5 came thru on the inside, if he just stays glued to the hip of the front runner, he gets a higher board spot for his connections (not to mention that he just stopped riding late in the race).

This happens all the time, isnt there some racing rules about collusion, or, is it just "part of the game" that jocks will help out other jocks to the detriment of their own mount?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Collusion is an agreement between two parties....
Old 11-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Collusion is an agreement between two parties....
Ok, so its an unofficial agreement. Whether or not they verbally "agree" or they just help each other with a wink and a nod, its the same thing. At any rate, its bad for perception, just one of many things the game needs to fix.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Seen this again in the 3rd race at Hollywood today, the guy riding the 4 just moved out of the way so the 1 could slip thru, and also the 5 came thru on the inside, if he just stays glued to the hip of the front runner, he gets a higher board spot for his connections (not to mention that he just stopped riding late in the race).
Maybe he yelled out "NO BRAKES!"
I have seen plenty of horses get cut off and bottled up from closing holes.

Last edited by shouldacoulda; 11-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
andtheyreoff

I love the inference that these races are being fixed.

The jockey's winning share of that third race was $2,700. You really think jockeys are gonna pass up that kind of money to help out other jockeys?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff

The jockey's winning share of that third race was $2,700. You really think jockeys are gonna pass up that kind of money to help out other jockeys?
It isn't so much about the jockeys share as compared to cashing tickets. That winner paid $4.80. That's not chicken feed. In fact you couldn't buy chicken feed with that winner. The colluded exacta paid $13.20. Major score. Things happen in races. Sometimes in your favor, sometimes against. I see plenty of wrist flicks with the whip. So light I have to wonder if they ever reach the horse. It's all part of the game and that's why data models are flawed. When I see questionable riding patterns I boycott the track. I'll take my $2.00 elsewhere Not for long though, otherwise I wouldn't have any tracks left to play. Know what I mean?

Last edited by shouldacoulda; 11-11-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
jk3521
Registered Loser

The whole racing world is out to get us!!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521
The whole racing world is out to get us!!
Yup, and my $2.00 too.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
chadk66

well when a rider knows he isn't on a winner or has a dead horse at the eighth pole they will often give other horses/riders room hoping to be repaid in the future for the favor. It's extremely common.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
nijinski

Maybe avoiding clipped heels .
Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
well when a rider knows he isn't on a winner or has a dead horse at the eighth pole they will often give other horses/riders room hoping to be repaid in the future for the favor. It's extremely common.

There's your explanation, simple courtesy." Do the same for me some time".
Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:

happens all the time and maybe that's what he saw this afternoon
Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff

You're trying to reason with the wrong person
Old 11-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
shouldacoulda

Quote:
I'd rather see that than a horse that can't win being abused. Saw that once. I had money on it too. I was watching the jockey punish this poor animal. It was obvious he was done. I was thinking to myself, stop hitting it already.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Phantombridgejumpe

I agree...

They work with these people 4-6 times per week.

Yes, there is competition, and yes I want my jocks trying hard within the rules, but they are playing in a dangerous sport and don't need someone pissed at them for virtually no reason.

If it is the difference between finishing 3rd and 4th or something like that I have no issue with the jockey putting his or her needs ahead of mine.

I think more should be done to protect the players, but not above jockey safety.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: