Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-06-2024, 09:37 PM   #61
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
As a business owner...I find the idea of a politician telling me that I must pay all my employees at least $20 an hour, absolutely RIDICULOUS! Anybody who suggests such a law has obviously never run a small business of any kind.
You have to adapt, get out of business and retire or start working for the government in their enforcement division. Comiefornia is a leader for other great states like NY, IL, OR, WA ... or countries like Canada
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2024, 11:31 PM   #62
MargieRose

Well, the bright side is that I won't be having to calculate a 15-20% tip any longer...for anyone!
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2024, 03:17 AM   #63
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Nobody could have seen this coming…..huh?

https://moneywise.com/news/economy/c...fosters-freeze
Old 04-07-2024, 05:14 AM   #64
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Bio of the author is a dandy:

Jing is an investment reporter for MoneyWise. He is an avid advocate of investing for passive income. Despite the ups and downs he’s been through with the markets, Jing believes that you can generate a steadily increasing income stream by investing in high quality companies.

PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2024, 06:32 AM   #65
tucker6

Quote:

I'd like to see the poll described in this paragraph. I don't know if one small business owner, including myself, that believes a higher wage makes for a better employee, and if you believe the minimum wage should be raised, then raise the pay you give your employees!!! I cannot see under any circumstances where raising your labor costs across the board will help your business. So who are these 19%? I suspect the answer is in the questions being asked because these answers do not compute.

"Nationwide, not all small business owners are against this trend. In fact, the majority (61%) surveyed earlier this year by CNBC said they support raising the minimum wage in their state, even though only one in five (19%) believe that it will help their business."
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2024, 07:01 PM   #66
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I'd like to see the poll described in this paragraph. I don't know if one small business owner, including myself, that believes a higher wage makes for a better employee, and if you believe the minimum wage should be raised, then raise the pay you give your employees!!! I cannot see under any circumstances where raising your labor costs across the board will help your business. So who are these 19%? I suspect the answer is in the questions being asked because these answers do not compute.

"Nationwide, not all small business owners are against this trend. In fact, the majority (61%) surveyed earlier this year by CNBC said they support raising the minimum wage in their state, even though only one in five (19%) believe that it will help their business."
I have to agree. My payroll is up about 28% over 2018 but most of that is due to local pressures from competitors. During the pandemic it was so hard to get employees it became an auction atmosphere in many ways.

But I see not one bit of improvement in the quality of employee I’m hiring. I’ve learned it comes down to nothing but character.

I have tried to pinpoint a few things to look toward, but this younger generation gives no plucks whatsoever about loyalty or fairness. They make demands that are completely unreasonable. They demand raises after being habitually late and missing in action. I have a core group of 45-60 yr olds that are reliable but those under that age are mostly hit n miss.

There are outliers, but they are few and far between. I can only think of 3 out of maybe 40 employees under 45 yrs of age. You can only ask them to carry the ball so much though.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:18 PM   #67
tucker6

Quote:
I have to agree. My payroll is up about 28% over 2018 but most of that is due to local pressures from competitors. During the pandemic it was so hard to get employees it became an auction atmosphere in many ways.

But I see not one bit of improvement in the quality of employee I’m hiring. I’ve learned it comes down to nothing but character.

I have tried to pinpoint a few things to look toward, but this younger generation gives no plucks whatsoever about loyalty or fairness. They make demands that are completely unreasonable. They demand raises after being habitually late and missing in action. I have a core group of 45-60 yr olds that are reliable but those under that age are mostly hit n miss.

There are outliers, but they are few and far between. I can only think of 3 out of maybe 40 employees under 45 yrs of age. You can only ask them to carry the ball so much though.
Amazingly Ralph, I am in heath care and see exactly the same. My labor rates are up 35% since 2018 and for the same reason. Local price pressure from competitors and govt policy. The quality is the same for that 35%, but like you, we have gravitated to those of a more senior age group and those with 3+ years experience in the job. That has improved quality and reliability.

Young people on the whole are lazy bums, especially those living at home. They will quit at the drop of a hat because they have no pressing rent to pay. We had one 21 year old quit mid shift because she got a text from friends asking if she wanted to do something fun. As she said to my wife, "my friends called, and they want me to come with them. It's my favorite thing to do, so I'm going to do that. I'm sorry". WTF?

The Fed govt has no idea what it's like to manage a business. They only see the money. The taxes. They don't realize that when they try to buy votes over there, they are hurting small business over here. Because they have no idea. Just look at AOC. She is one of those bubble heads who I would never hire. Lazy and dumb. Always looking for the easy way to a good life. To her I say, get a life.

Last edited by tucker6; 04-07-2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:09 AM   #68
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I get ya…..

I had a server quit a few weeks back because he wanted to

“Go to the rodeo”

His friends were going to the Houston Rodeo. He decided the job was not important. It was a Sunday too…..he would have probably made 250-300 bucks that day.

He was 21 lives at home……

I was in the restaurant late tonight for closing. Team meeting after close. Lots of young people. 12 servers. They all made $200 bucks today from 3–8p. closing=There another hour or so. The ones who worked a double $350-400 for the day.

Some are hustling for the cash, but they are always the older ones…..
Old 04-08-2024, 12:30 AM   #69
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Hmmmm……. Its starting

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0835.jpeg (190.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-08-2024, 08:50 AM   #70
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

We were talking in another thread about malls, and said as a kid, going to Midtown Mall was an adventure. Part of that fun was lunch at the SAutomat, a 100% machine service, sandwhich in one, chips in another, cake in another.....looks like we're heading back.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:58 AM   #71
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Hmmmm……. Its starting

In & Out is one thing I miss about California, didn't they always pay well for a fast food joint before California started jacking up the minimum wage?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2024, 08:25 PM   #72
davew

Labor group demands $20/hr be expanded to ALL sectors ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...&ei=27#image=1
Old 04-15-2024, 08:57 PM   #73
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Labor group demands $20/hr be expanded to ALL sectors ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...&ei=27#image=1
Gotta say, never saw that one coming...
Old 04-15-2024, 09:06 PM   #74
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Gotta say, never saw that one coming...
neither did the politicians in Sacramento
Old 04-15-2024, 09:49 PM   #75
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
In & Out is one thing I miss about California, didn't they always pay well for a fast food joint before California started jacking up the minimum wage?
You're right about that.
In and Out often paid more to their employees than other franchises.
Always appeared to give them a harder working and focused work force.
Yet, they still kept their prices on the low side.

Reasonably increasing prices for them won't lead to a big downturn in sales.
Smart business model.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply