Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #61
_______
Veteran

If I were assembling a draft list for people I thought would run deep into the primary season I’d start with Kirsten Gillibrand.

She is obviously running. Her hard disconnect with former mentors Bill and Hillary along with calling for her friend Al Franken to resign over sexual harassment charges tells me she is reading the temperature of the party base and positioning herself for a run.

I’d struggle whether to have Kamela Harris or Bernie Sanders as my 2nd pick but whomever I didn’t choose would be my 3rd choice with Joe Biden 4th.

Cory Booker 5th. Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren would have to be on the list somewhere.

As united as Democrats are in their opposition to Trump, they also face deep divisions over the direction of the party that aren’t going to be easily papered over. A Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren isn’t going to win but the question is how far they manage to drag the eventual nominee toward positions that aren’t going to win a general election.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #62
chadk66

heard they were sitting this one out due to not having a snow balls chance in hell of winning. save up money to take a serious run in 2024
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #63
davew

Eric Holder or Joe Biden to continue what 0bama started...
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #64
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
heard they were sitting this one out due to not having a snow balls chance in hell of winning. save up money to take a serious run in 2024
George H.W. Bush has big approval ratings his first 2 years in office.Then the economy soured and Bubba was elected.A lot can happen in a couple of years.

BUT you are correct, if the economy stays strong and there are no major issues confronting the country, then Trump should win a second term.In that case, just like Walter Mondale, Robert Dole or John McCain facing an unwinnable election, the Democratic nominee will be a consolation prize for one of the old soldiers like Al Gore or Joe Biden, kind of like a career achievement for party loyalty.The young guns will sit it out until 2024.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #65
woodtoo

The unbeatable Wiener/Holder
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #66
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
The unbeatable Wiener/Holder
That depends on whether their constituents "grip" them
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #67
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz. The man's rhetoric has been having a distinctly "political" bent lately...even though he is reluctant to reveal his political aspirations for the future. Hey...after Donald Trump...WHY NOT? If we are looking for a leader with "penetrating vision", then Schultz qualifies nicely...IMO.
Is going to resign from his starbucks position to work on social issues. Might be geared to run for something, but can a white male win anything dimocrat?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #68
boxcar

I nominate Auntie Nancy to run. If she won the party's nomination, I would bet the farm that she'd be a slam dunk to lose against Trump in a landslide. Rattlesnakes have more likeable personalities than she has.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #69
lamboguy

the Democrats really have no one that can win against either Trump and certainly not Nikki Haley. so it really doesn't matter whom they put up.

at this point in time i would make her the favorite to get nominated by the Republicans, even against a sitting president.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #70
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I nominate Auntie Nancy to run. If she won the party's nomination, I would bet the farm that she'd be a slam dunk to lose against Trump in a landslide. Rattlesnakes have more likeable personalities than she has.
First woman president...go for it Nancy.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #71
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
the Democrats really have no one that can win against either Trump and certainly not Nikki Haley. so it really doesn't matter whom they put up.

at this point in time i would make her the favorite to get nominated by the Republicans, even against a sitting president.
If Ronald Reagan (Ford) and Ted Kennedy (Carter) couldn't unseat a sitting President,then I doubt Nikki Haley will.Unless of course Trump murders James Comey , then tries to pardon himself.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #72
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
If Ronald Reagan (Ford) and Ted Kennedy (Carter) couldn't unseat a sitting President,then I doubt Nikki Haley will.Unless of course Trump murders James Comey , then tries to pardon himself.

I do believe character issues and how the press treated Chappaquiddick doomed Ted. I would not consider it shocking he got smoked once things counted.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 06-05-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #73
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
if we have learned anything about Trump the last 3 years, its to expect the unexpected.

there are a lot of conservative republicans that think they got duped by Trump.
they are not happy campers.

i am only interested in presidential elections from a betting standpoint.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #74
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
If I were assembling a draft list for people I thought would run deep into the primary season I’d start with Kirsten Gillibrand.

She is obviously running. Her hard disconnect with former mentors Bill and Hillary along with calling for her friend Al Franken to resign over sexual harassment charges tells me she is reading the temperature of the party base and positioning herself for a run.

I’d struggle whether to have Kamela Harris or Bernie Sanders as my 2nd pick but whomever I didn’t choose would be my 3rd choice with Joe Biden 4th.

Cory Booker 5th. Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren would have to be on the list somewhere.

As united as Democrats are in their opposition to Trump, they also face deep divisions over the direction of the party that aren’t going to be easily papered over. A Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren isn’t going to win but the question is how far they manage to drag the eventual nominee toward positions that aren’t going to win a general election.
I wouldn't dismiss one of the Castro boys - I mean Joaquin and Julian of course - as a candidate.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #75
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post

That is interesting the impossible ticket to beat would be Rick Scott & Nikki Haley.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: