Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 07:57 PM   #46
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Mitole is not out of the running either off a bad rail disappointment.
Mitole is a lemon that has been squeezed one too many times....Lay-off needed.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 08:02 PM   #47
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Mitole is a lemon that has been squeezed one too many times....Lay-off needed.
I didn't like the turn back off the very tough Met Mile. Sprints are harder on a horse IMO and when you throw in that he was trapped dueling on the bad rail, he was in for a bad day.

I'm not sure he's squeezed dry for the year, but a few months R&R, a BC prep, and the Sprint or Dirt Mile might be the way to go. I'd try Vosburgg (we know he likes Belmont) for his next spot.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 09:05 PM   #48
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I felt pretty stupid after the race for playing against him, but I thought his race at MTH was speed bias aided and he was going to have a tougher time in that field with speed inside of him from his outside post. I should have known his workout prior to race signaled he was going to be a "new and improved horse" for Navarro. ahem
Yep....made him my face but at something like 2/1. I thought the 6/5 or whatever was just off but the money clearly knew. Just thought he'd face more upfront pressure and just thought it was going to be a big class jump.

The pools sometimes get it but they did miss on Mitole.

Last edited by cutchemist42; 07-29-2019 at 09:07 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #49
TonyK@HSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfager View Post
The key word is random out of competition testing.
In Pa the testing is random. Commission and vets just show up at barn to take samples of specific horses. I'm not sure if this has extended to training centers yet.
TonyK@HSH is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #50
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Robert, I understand what you are saying. but what I meant was that if routing is where all the $$ is, this "fact" certainly doesn't match up with the reality of U.S. racing. Maybe somebody should TELL owners, trainers and esp. our breeding industry, that "all the money is in routers". We're certainly going in the opposite direction.

Paulick had an article 3 years ago: "According to figures from Equibase, of the 41,574 races run in the United States last year, 25,776 of them were run at distances of seven furlongs or less – 62 percent. Only 377 races were run at distances of 1 1/4 mile or more – not even 1 percent..........How did American racing come to this pass?"

"Under these circumstances, how can the American breeding industry provide a viable number of quality horses for its most important races like the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes, the Breeders' Cup Classic and Turf, the Travers Stakes, the Jockey Club Gold Cup, the Santa Anita Handicap, the Pacific Classic, the Turf Classic and the Arlington Million, etc., almost all of them run at distances of at least 10 furlongs, when it must produce most of its horses to fill sprint races? The answer is, it can't.

Some may point to American Pharoah to refute this argument, but in rebuttal it can be said that the 2015 Triple Crown winner is the exception to the American rule. After all, it took the American breeding industry 37 years to find a successor to its last Triple Crown winner."

The article also pointed out: "From 1971 through 2001, 14 of the 31 Arc winners were American bred. Since 2001, however, not a single winner of the Arc has been bred in these United States...."

My point was that if it's where all the money is, then it would become more popular, and if so, then we better start getting our horses from elsewhere ...... or something. Horses have to be bred to run at a distance beyond a 1-1/8, there is a definite contribution of genetics to certain performance traits. You don't get classic distance horses breeding super milers who create fast, precocious offspring.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...eed_for_speed/
thanks for clarifying, makes sense. We just dont race the longer distances at the majority of races carded.

also, my name is greg.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #51
baconswitchfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfager View Post
Here’s the rub with both Servis and Navarro. They know that their horses will test negative post race because they are being treated with fast clearing (48 hr) PEDs. Can you say Nitrotain? Since there is no random out of competition testing done in the US, you can train your horse on a powerful anabolic steroid like Nitrotain, stop on Tuesday and race with impunity on Saturday. This allows you to turn an ordinary 3yo maiden claimer into a multiple G1 winner or a good 3 yo sprinter into Dr. Fager!

The owner who walked the horse into the winners circle is a large standardbred owner. All the trainers they use there all have the same results as Navarro. They take horses from guys who use plutonium and improve them five seconds in a week. It's the state of the game now.
baconswitchfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 01:33 AM   #52
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconswitchfarm View Post
plutonium
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 07:16 AM   #53
NY BRED
GARY

Shancealot

impressive race, no doubt about it.

Equally impressive were the opening odds which never moved upwards.

Seriously, if you reviewed whatever data you had, are you making this horse 1-9??

Score another win for this "magician"
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #54
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Shancelot was awarded a Beyer of 121 , the highest figure for a sprint in 12 years.

The jockey's extra, unnecessary urging in the stretch, I believe, had something to do with this. Hope the horse is ok.

I can understand some people's concern with the trainer.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...erformance_123
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #55
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Shancelot was awarded a Beyer of 121 , the highest figure for a sprint in 12 years.

The jockey's extra, unnecessary urging in the stretch, I believe, had something to do with this. Hope the horse is ok.

I can understand some people's concern with the trainer.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...erformance_123
That sort of thing only adds a couple of points usually. As Beyer himself says, it's hard to slow down a 1000 pound animal.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #56
RunForTheRoses

With only 3 starts so far you have to wonder about his durability. But maybe its just patience, heck look at 6yo Preservationist.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #57
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Shancelot vs Imperial Hint:

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #58
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Shancelot vs Imperial Hint:

Wow. Good stuff.

I didn't realize Shancelot's TimeformUS figs were so legit coming in.

Two brilliant performances. Love it.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #59
Suff
Beat up 💪

Hats mean something. I've said this before.

Maybe,? probably , or not likely that any PA members recall my Gulfstream posts Re: Jorge Navaro? I made a few and if you recall one, you'll get why this hat photo that I replied with is business funny.

He seemed to get it because he hit me back.

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2019, 06:57 PM   #60
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
That sort of thing only adds a couple of points usually. As Beyer himself says, it's hard to slow down a 1000 pound animal.
Not at all.Ever watch a race at Aqueduct?