Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-28-2021, 04:14 AM   #31
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
All Caps ?
No need to get hostile.
Look.....you're actually getting better.
At least those two long paragraphs weren't all about you.
So if I'm wrong.......does that also make Steve Asmussen wrong when he said "Ricky being overconfident" when answering Steve Byk's question about the race Saturday ?
Of course you're the one who posted the other day that you might know more about riding a race horse than HOF jockey Mike Smith.
So I guess it stands to reason that you know more about evaluating a race ride than Steve Asmussen.
Got it...
Sorry about the CAPS.

One thing I've learned over the years. The greatest winners are the one's that HATE losing the most.

I know Steve pretty well and think he's an absolute genius.

I also know he's extremely passionate. He rode races himself.

Was the leading apprentice at the Meadowlands one season.

Do I think I know as much about race riding as he or Mike Smith?

I do, except of course for the nuances of actually being on their backs.

Bob Costas never threw a pitch or faced a fire balling lefty. But I think he knows a lot about baseball.

I don't care if you think I'm getting better. My previous paragraphs weren't intended to be about me.

They were my analysis of what happened when SILVER STATE pulled himself up the other day. And how IMO Santana did nothing wrong.

It just happened.

It's of course possible that Mike and Steve do in fact know more than me.

However, based on your previous analysis of what happened.

You?

Not so much.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:58 AM   #32
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Sorry about the CAPS.

One thing I've learned over the years. The greatest winners are the one's that HATE losing the most.

I know Steve pretty well and think he's an absolute genius.

I also know he's extremely passionate. He rode races himself.

Was the leading apprentice at the Meadowlands one season.

Do I think I know as much about race riding as he or Mike Smith?

I do, except of course for the nuances of actually being on their backs.

Bob Costas never threw a pitch or faced a fire balling lefty. But I think he knows a lot about baseball.

I don't care if you think I'm getting better. My previous paragraphs weren't intended to be about me.

They were my analysis of what happened when SILVER STATE pulled himself up the other day. And how IMO Santana did nothing wrong.

It just happened.

It's of course possible that Mike and Steve do in fact know more than me.

However, based on your previous analysis of what happened.

You?

Not so much.
You said I nine times in that post......quite the ratio there professor.
The bolded parts of your post.......Pure Gold !
And I'm still trying to figure out what Bob Costas and your good buddy Steve (who hates to lose) being leading apprentice @ The Meadowlands has to do with the Santana ride Saturday.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #33
the little guy

Quote:
That's not a very pleasant thing to say.
I myself would never say something like that to somebody on this board.......but that's just me.
I have a question for you...
When was the last time you heard Steve Asmussen instantly start laughing nervously about a question(in this case SS giving the race away Saturday)......and then include in his response the following quote....."Ricky being overconfident"....while still laughing uncomfortably.....in reference to said ride he put up ?
BTW:
It sure seemed like he wanted to get away from the subject as quickly as possible.
You doubled down on an incorrect opinion despite it being explained to you. Sorry if you found that unpleasant to hear. Not exactly a game for the squeamish.

I'm not going to comment on Steve suffice to say I know him a lot better than you. All you have to do is watch the pan and head-on replay carefully to realize Ricardo never stopped riding.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2021, 09:33 AM   #34
classhandicapper

Quote:
What he did do is think he had the race won,and eased up on SS.....and it cost him the race. SS was following along with Santana's commands......and Santana eased up on his ride.......then.....Silver State eased himself up off the cue.
To make it crystal clear......Silver State pulled himself up after Santana's overconfident decision......not before.
It's hard to see the cause without watching the head-on.

The horse was drifting in almost the entire length of the stretch and again late.

What you can see (or at least what I see) is that it appears Santana leaned very slightly left during the late drift in and "may" have pulled very slightly on the right rein as part of it. I'm not sure if it was balance or an effort to keep the horse straight, but he wasn't intentionally easing because he thought he had the race won.

That sequence is why the vigor in his hand ride diminished slightly for a stride or two (that's what you are seeing). Yes, he (and everyone else) thought he had the race won. But I think none of it would have happened if the horse wasn't drifting in. We see those subtle adjustments all the time during stretch runs as horses drift, but since this happened right at the finish and changed the outcome it was way more dramatic.

Just watch the head on. When I watched it live I thought he may have eased up on the horse prematurely also. There's not thing wrong with watching replays.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-28-2021 at 09:47 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

The horse was drifting in almost the entire length of the stretch and again late.

What you can see (or at least what I see) is that it appears Santana leaned very slightly left during the late drift in and "may" have pulled very slightly on the right rein as part of it. I'm not sure if it was balance or an effort to keep the horse straight, but he wasn't intentionally easing because he thought he had the race won.

That sequence is why the vigor in his hand ride diminished slightly for a stride or two (that's what you are seeing). Yes, he (and everyone else) thought he had the race won. But I think none of it would have happened if the horse wasn't drifting in. We see those subtle adjustments all the time during stretch runs as horses drift, but since this happened right at the finish and changed the outcome it was way more dramatic.

Just watch the head on. When I watched it live I thought he may have eased up on the horse prematurely also. There's not thing wrong with watching replays.
It should be mandatory to watch the head on before commenting on what one feels like is a jockey error. Many, many times it is the horse.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #36
v j stauffer

Quote:
You said I nine times in that post......quite the ratio there professor.
The bolded parts of your post.......Pure Gold !
And I'm still trying to figure out what Bob Costas and your good buddy Steve (who hates to lose) being leading apprentice @ The Meadowlands has to do with the Santana ride Saturday.
You've spent a lot of time talking about how I deliver my opinions. And what or who I claim to know or not know.

What I do know is that you've respectfully had the situation explained to you several times. By people who know what they are talking about.

Not just me.

You can continue to pick apart what I say and how I say it.

It's not going to change the fact that when it comes to the subject matter of this debate YOU'RE WRONG.

My advice is to quit when you're behind. Before you get behinder!

Last edited by v j stauffer; 09-28-2021 at 04:09 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #37
Robert Fischer
clean money

Wink

Quote:
Would FLIGHTLINE be the 2nd choice if Sadler decided to run him in the BC Sprint?
that would be nice

Old 09-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #38
Robert Fischer
clean money

never stopped riding

Silver State was trying to lug in

certainly didn't 'surge' forward while being corrected w/ the right reign, but I can't quibble with that

Bad Beat

that's why we try to bet overlays with close to optimal bet size
Old 09-28-2021, 07:00 PM   #39
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It should be mandatory to watch the head on before commenting on what one feels like is a jockey error. Many, many times it is the horse.
So much this. Same for the DQ/non-DQ discussions.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2021, 11:19 PM   #40
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
You doubled down on an incorrect opinion despite it being explained to you. Sorry if you found that unpleasant to hear. Not exactly a game for the squeamish.

I'm not going to comment on Steve suffice to say I know him a lot better than you. All you have to do is watch the pan and head-on replay carefully to realize Ricardo never stopped riding.
Steve Asmussen when asked about the ending of the Parx Dirt Mile:
One of his two direct quotes...."Ricky being overconfident".
That's good enough for me.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:21 PM   #41
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

@ Class:
I always watch replays,including the head on's.
From the start,understand that Santana knows SS like the back of his hand......and got the desired effect from the push button SS that he wanted.
Also understand that SS coming in around 3-4 lanes in the span of over an 1/8th of a mile is a piece of cake for Santana to handle on a horse he knows so well.
To me the drifting in of SS was a non factor in the outcome.
Just my two cents....
Old 09-28-2021, 11:29 PM   #42
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm guessing this one is directed my way.
I'll always answer a racing question if I'm asked........I never duck anything.
As I mentioned to Class......I watch head on's all the time......often the head on that is shown on the track feed after the first replay.
In the case of the Parx Dirt Mile, I did watch the track head on right after the main replay.
FWIW:
The running of the race live.....the regular replay....and the head on all showed the same thing to me.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:30 PM   #43
taxicab

Quote:
You've spent a lot of time talking about how I deliver my opinions. And what or who I claim to know or not know.

What I do know is that you've respectfully had the situation explained to you several times. By people who know what they are talking about.

Not just me.

You can continue to pick apart what I say and how I say it.

It's not going to change the fact that when it comes to the subject matter of this debate YOU'RE WRONG.

My advice is to quit when you're behind. Before you get behinder!
"Ricky being overconfident"........Steve Asmussen.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:04 AM   #44
cato
Irrationally exuberant

Jeez. Point made (if not agreed to). Let it go.

Last edited by cato; 09-29-2021 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Added (if not agreed to) for clarity
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #45
BarchCapper

Quote:
Steve Asmussen when asked about the ending of the Parx Dirt Mile:
One of his two direct quotes...."Ricky being overconfident".
That's good enough for me.
I listened to this segment - I didn't perceive that comment as pertaining specifically to the end of the race, rather the whole race - in the context of the other comments he made immediately before and after it concerning the horse's performance in the race.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply