Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-06-2021, 03:43 AM   #31
cato
Irrationally exuberant

Smile NHC

Andy - Congrats! Here are a few thoughts that may be helpful....

play in a couple of "live" tournaments before the NHC.

Go to Vegas a few days early and get any gambling, wildness, etc., out of your system.

Handicap the races in advance

have the courage to bet on a few (very few...not as many as you think you need) longshots and more moderately priced horses

try to avoid a group/entourage approach to the trip unlesss they are all-in on handicapping the races

review all of the official rules and review them again so you know and follow those rules

relax

have fun
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #32
Johng032

Congrats

Congrats, but I have to warn you, it may become an obsession (if it isn’t already). I made my 1st NHC in 2016 and now don’t ever want to miss it. The funny part is the least important part of the weekend for me is playing in the tourney. The people that you meet and the atmosphere in the ballroom are unmatched.

To echo others, don’t try to do things that you don’t do now.
1. If you are a speed handicapper, stick with it and don’t try to become a trip handicapper overnight.
2. Have a general idea of what races may interest you. Play to your strengths, dirt sprints, turf routes, whatever those strengths are. There are plenty of races in each specialty throughout the day. It is hard to fully handicap 8 cards for a day of racing.
3. Keep track of post times for the races that interest you. It’s amazing how you will lose track of time due to sensory overload.
4. If you get your price, play the race. Don’t second guess yourself.
5. Have fun and take it all in. My best handicapping friends are those that I met at my table in 2016. We see each other frequently at live tournaments throughout the year and have a constant text thread for the big weeks in racing.

Enjoy yourself. This year will be interesting with Saratoga and Del Mar in the mix. Some high quality racing.

Good luck,
John Gaspar
Johng032 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 12:44 AM   #33
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johng032 View Post
Congrats, but I have to warn you, it may become an obsession (if it isn’t already). I made my 1st NHC in 2016 and now don’t ever want to miss it. The funny part is the least important part of the weekend for me is playing in the tourney. The people that you meet and the atmosphere in the ballroom are unmatched.

To echo others, don’t try to do things that you don’t do now.
1. If you are a speed handicapper, stick with it and don’t try to become a trip handicapper overnight.
2. Have a general idea of what races may interest you. Play to your strengths, dirt sprints, turf routes, whatever those strengths are. There are plenty of races in each specialty throughout the day. It is hard to fully handicap 8 cards for a day of racing.
3. Keep track of post times for the races that interest you. It’s amazing how you will lose track of time due to sensory overload.
4. If you get your price, play the race. Don’t second guess yourself.
5. Have fun and take it all in. My best handicapping friends are those that I met at my table in 2016. We see each other frequently at live tournaments throughout the year and have a constant text thread for the big weeks in racing.

Enjoy yourself. This year will be interesting with Saratoga and Del Mar in the mix. Some high quality racing.

Good luck,
John Gaspar
thanks-appreciate it. Isnt it like 15 mandatory races a day and 10 optional. I wish it was in February, much better at OP than SAR and DMR. I don't like turf racing so my chances are very slim and the other players are very good. I'll just get drunk and play the every race
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #34
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
thanks-appreciate it. Isnt it like 15 mandatory races a day and 10 optional. I wish it was in February, much better at OP than SAR and DMR. I don't like turf racing so my chances are very slim and the other players are very good. I'll just get drunk and play the every race
I agree with you on time of year. For whatever reason that I can't explain I do better between November and March.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #35
Johng032

Time of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
I think it was 8 mandatory races plus 10 optional races each of the 2 days. 18 choices each day. There will be plenty of dirt racing to choose from but not playing turf can be a disadvantage. I’d prefer the February schedule as well but this year, it just wasn’t feasible. East Coast weather is so tough in February will race cancellations and sloppy conditions, it can be limiting. I’m disappointed that it is still 8 months away. I’m already getting excited.
Johng032 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply