Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-02-2021, 06:37 AM   #61
lamboguy

the mattress buy got things right...RUN HAPPY ran medication free. the man gave plenty of help to the people in Houston when there was a problem with the cold weather and no electricity. the man also helped out in New Orleans during Katrina.. this guy is first class all the way...

as far as medication free goes in humans, i can attest that it works...i had sciatic nerve pain that ran down from my hip to under the right knee along with shoulder and and neck pains. instead of taking rotten drugs, i went to a Chiropractic Clinic. the doctor cracked my neck and back, hit my calf with some type of a board and no pain... i just got done running a mile for the first time in 6 months..

the only problem is that the pain is likely to come back and i am going to have to go back for more treatment. the session only last's for about 10 minutes.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #62
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
th... i just got done running a mile for the first time in 6 months..

A mile Phil? Any witnesses?
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #63
Suff
Beat up 💪

The watch at home TV ratings were the lowest since 2000. But the watch outside the home ratings blew the roof off.

The 12% out-of-home lift is comparable to that of the Super Bowl.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #64
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Are this guy's mattresses really worth $3,000+?
$4,000+ starting today!
Old 05-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #65
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Maybe I misunderstood.

I have no idea how he made out, but wasn't he just hedging a bunch of potentially free mattresses he would have had to give away if Essential Quality won?

He probably generated a lot of extra sales of mattresses from people hoping for a freebie, lost the bets, gets paid for the mattresses, and got loads of publicity out of it all.
You have it exactly right. It was a hedge.

When he runs these promotions his sales obviously increase. It also makes people who otherwise wouldn’t pay a second’s attention to the race at least have some level of engagement. Further, the hit he got on NBC was worth God knows what. He got a TON of “free” publicity.

The man is an absolute treasure. He had the families of 300 foster families there yesterday from Louisville. As was said earlier in the thread, he’s always stepped up to help Houstonians in need. Anyone making a disparaging remark about him either doesn’t understand what he’s doing or, quite simply, is an ass.hole.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #66
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
The man is an absolute treasure. He had the families of 300 foster families there yesterday from Louisville. As was said earlier in the thread, he’s always stepped up to help Houstonians in need.
That's all great to hear. This industry needs all the help and good press it can get.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #67
MonmouthParkJoe

This right here

The amount of publicity he received in prime time is the one thing that alot of people are not talking about, not to mention the hedge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
You have it exactly right. It was a hedge.

When he runs these promotions his sales obviously increase. It also makes people who otherwise wouldn’t pay a second’s attention to the race at least have some level of engagement. Further, the hit he got on NBC was worth God knows what. He got a TON of “free” publicity.

The man is an absolute treasure. He had the families of 300 foster families there yesterday from Louisville. As was said earlier in the thread, he’s always stepped up to help Houstonians in need. Anyone making a disparaging remark about him either doesn’t understand what he’s doing or, quite simply, is an ass.hole.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #68
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

So how hard would it be to hedge the field not including the favorite and make sure you cover the cost of your mattress? With huge pools like the Derby, gotta be doable I would think, especially with Mattress Mac inflating the odds.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 01:38 AM   #69
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
I've commented on some of your good posts in the past....Now we have the flipside.
Well RR, not sure what you meant by "sometimes it's not what you imply" on your comment to my last post in this thread, but I can state I was referring to the final odds and not what EQ was on Friday night. Your embedded comments in blue were irrelevant, unless betting through a UK book, or otherwise outside of Churchill's parimutuel pools.

For the record, EQ did go off close to 3-1 (2.90)

The result chart indicates $68M in the W-P-S pools, and I believe there was $44M and change in the Win pool, when I glanced at the pools after the race. That means EQ had about $9.5M bet on him. If the report from NBC was accurate, Mattress Mack had $2.4M of that, or roughly 25%.

So Mack basically cut the potential win payoff from about $9.80 to $7.80. (note - that is not cutting the odds in half). If we had the exact numbers for Mack's bets, and subtracted them out, I think the and would have been a nose apart for the chalk, with HRC a close up third. However, a counter argument could be made that pounding the horse down to 3-5 with his first $500K probably caused some EQ fans to bet other horses.

We'll never know, but it does bring up the topic of "dicking with the pools" again.

As for my first comment about a seven figure wager being a "big bet, even for me" - well, I guess I forgot to put the /humor hashtag after that.

At the end of the day, I didn't much care for EQ anyway, but lost my largest (3 figure) bet on Mandaloun's nose when he couldn't get past the winner. Fortunately, the Derby presents the opportunity for place and show wagering, paying only 3 slots to 19 horses, so I did score a modest profit in the race. Feel free to be critical that I'm implying a bit of redboard action there, though I did post my cold super high 5 prediction in the TC thread.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 01:45 AM   #70
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
though I did post my cold super high 5 prediction in the TC thread.
Yes you did...Nice call.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 02:05 AM   #71
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Yes you did...Nice call.
Why, thank you. Though, truth be told, getting my top selection second at 26-1, and the other four horses in my cold super high five where not close, it's really more of an "okay" call.

If the gets a clean break, the whole race could have been different. I thought 4 of the top 5 finishers were underlays, and I'm licking my chops for the Preakness, cause this appears to be a sub-par crop.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 02:08 AM   #72
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Medina Spirit will not win....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 07:05 AM   #73
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
We'll never know, but it does bring up the topic of "dicking with the pools" again.
Thank you. It's hard enough to 'cap the Derby without factoring in a publicity stunt. This wasn't your normal bridgejumper action that all of us have encountered from time to time. Mac's charity, benevolence, and good character is not to be questioned; but his involvement in the win pool could be.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #74
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply