Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Pandy,

I didn't judge him, a jury of his peers did the judging. He was found guilty.

There's a driver/trainer at Saratoga Raceway who is currently accused (not proven) of engaging in sex with multiple minors. If he's found guilty and serves his time, would you support him getting his trainer's/driver's license back?

Good question. First of all, that's a little different because he was not under the influence of drugs, and if found guilty, these were crimes he committed over and over. Case had one incident when he went into a rage while under the influence. But yes, I believe you have to follow the law. Crimes have to be dealt with by the legal system, that's the way these things work. If we as a society try to circumvent the law it can only cause chaos.

As for trainers who use illegal drugs, that's different because for some reason the Feds normally don't bother to prosecute, even though they should because drugging a horse with an illegal substance is race fixing, which is a felony. Since the gov't won't try to arrest these corrupt trainers the sport has to take matters into its own hands.

Last edited by pandy; 06-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
pandy

Plus, if there are minors around the racetrack he could be considered a risk, so I'm not sure, that's a much more complicated issue.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
Oskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness
Bob,
That is not entirely accurate.
He banned himself from multiple states before his incarceration by turning over his license in an agreement to be relieved of then existing fines.

Technically, before he could/should be licensed within these jurisdictions in which he forfeited his license in lieu of payment, he should perhaps pay the fines?
Or should these fines be forgotten merely because he's a convicted felon?

I believe Mr Pocaro is handling the case Pro bono. He had a co-counsel who is licensed in Massachusetts as well as an investigator with him yesterday. Case certainly isn’t in a position to pay for this sort of high-end representation, nor is he in a position to pay off all the fines. I’m sure that if and when he gets his license back and wants to drive a horse in Ohio an agreement will be made to settle his account.

One doesn’t get the impression that this is being approached from a “Give me back my license, now” perspective, by Case or his attorney. As I said in an earlier post, when I asked him about getting the license back, he just smiled, dropped his head and said, “Me, I’m retired.” The fact that this attempt to get back in the game is bereft of arrogance is working to his advantage. I’m sure it helped sway Gural and I expect it helped him with Commissioner Cameron.
Oskar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
wilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar
[font=Calibri][size=4]Case certainly isn’t in a position to pay for this sort of high-end representation, nor is he in a position to pay off all the fines.
Oskar "J",
I didn't imply that he was in any position to pay old fines, rather that he voluntarily forfeited his license (s) in the past in lieu of these old fines.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
rowboat

I love case he was no tone of the boys.Ray rice acuused of murder is playing.not o downgrae what case did but at what point do you you do your time.tracks are rampant with drugs and booze.no excuse but it has its hold on the sport
rowboat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #21
jeebus1083

According to Commissioner Cameron at today's board meeting (being aired live on the Massachusetts Gaming Commission website, she will have a recommendation on the appeals brought up to her last week, including Walter Case's, at next week's Gaming Commission meeting.
jeebus1083 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
Oskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus1083
According to Commissioner Cameron at today's board meeting (being aired live on the Massachusetts Gaming Commission website, she will have a recommendation on the appeals brought up to her last week, including Walter Case's, at next week's Gaming Commission meeting.
That meeting will be streamed live on Monday at one.
Oskar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
marksinger

Monday hearing

Thank you Oskar for the heads up
marksinger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #24
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowboat
Ray rice acuused of murder is playing.not o downgrae what case did but at what point do you you do your time
Please explain.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
jeebus1083

Oskar, I missed the live stream, and mass.gov/gaming has no meeting minutes posted. Did you catch the decision?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #26
marksinger

Wish I understood what rowboat meant??
Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #27
wilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksinger
Wish I understood what rowboat meant??
He's suggesting that the past of this thread topic should be overlooked.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #28
jeebus1083

Here is a reply that I received this morning from the Commission in response to my query about yesterday's hearing:

Quote:
As of now no determination has been made and the case has not been resolved.
I'm guessing that all things considered, Commissioner Cameron is weighing in heavily on this appeal, and is taking her time to make sure that she makes the correct recommendation.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
marksinger

I agree. I think the longer they wait the worse it is for him.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #30
jeebus1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksinger
I agree. I think the longer they wait the worse it is for him.
I think that the opposite is true here, for the reason being that there is more than enough evidence to flat out justify the denial of the license. There is a lot to consider here, especially since the criminal past is different than the racetrack penalties that are outstanding. This is a big decision here, and to make a rash judgment is violating Walter's right to due process.