Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #451
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Just remember folks...the entire point of all of this was to prevent healthcare from becoming overwhelmed all at once.

It was NEVER intended to prevent people from EVER acquiring the virus.

That is an ABSOLUTE PIPE DREAM without an effective vaccine or medication.

So why do some people INSIST on making this the goal?

It can NEVER happen minus the above two items.

Herd immunity will be attained well before any safe vaccine is developed. In fact, an effective vaccine for ANY coronavirus has NEVER been developed. So stop the nonsense.

We can't shut down forever.

This is reality.

And we can't stop people from contracting the virus. Another reality.

Live in reality.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #452
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drib View Post
Difficult to have much respect for the intellect of someone comparing Sweden to NYC, yet minimizing the match of Sweden to Norway, Denmark, and Finland.....of course you are the guy who, on May 6, posted : "The data from NYC shows that they may be down to close to zero by mid May."

Obviously Sweden can't be compared to NYC. Why? Because there are a lot more variables than whether a country is locked down or not. I guess your point about comparing Norway, Denmark and Finland is that it's all about geography. So that would mean that Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Baltimore should all be comparable to NYC? Right?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #453
dilanesp

Cambridge University in the UK is suspending live classes until Summer 2021!

I look forward to hearing how the administration of Cambridge, one of the world's finest universities, doesn't understand the science.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...il-summer-2021
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #454
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Yeah, you got a good handle on it all.......
I did not oppose Belmont's reopening and in fact criticized New York for letting NYRA twist in the wind for so long.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #455
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

I look forward to hearing how the administration of Cambridge, one of the world's finest universities, doesn't understand the science.

Totally understandable if Niall Ferguson is the "scientist" they're listening to.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:51 AM   #456
drib

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Big difference between NYC and San Francisco. From the data you cited the black and Hispanic population is 53.4% of the total in NYC vs only 21.2% in SF. Given that the black and Hispanic populations have been hit much harder by the virus than the remaining population the comparison is really not a proxy for the effectiveness of a lockdown.

I guess the NYC vs SF should be put in the drivel category as well. There have been a lot more lessons learned since that article was published.

Thanks for all of your condescending responses, it makes you seem so much more intellectual.
It really is remarkable how inaccurate you have been. Here is an article from a conservative writer who, justifiably, criticizes Cuomo for his slow viral response in March, comparing it unfavorably with California: https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...=NRDaily-Smart

I guess the writer, like so many other observers, did not get your amateur analysis about population differences (which I have not seen anywhere else) as an explanation for the terrible NY results.
In a scientific, medical context, describing Sweden's relationship to its Scandanavian neighbors as "all about geography" is downright preposterous. Here is an article from early April (before results were in) touting the comparison of Sweden to its neighbors as a great control experiment: https://theconversation.com/coronavi...ategies-135344 Key quote: "From a scientific perspective, and in the absence of better models, the Nordic countries of Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland – which are culturally, economically, politically and geographically similar – may, serendipitously, represent a powerful intervention trial". Of course, now, with each passing day, Sweden is looking worse:https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/...-not-a-panacea The article, correctly notes that more time is needed to fully evaluate (though with each passing day, Sweden's death rate is climbing), but, right now, words like "failure" and "shameful chapter" are used.

Last edited by drib; 05-20-2020 at 12:58 AM.
drib is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #457
Magician
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

who cares. they might as well suspend live classes permanently. a university is basically a joke today. everything can be done online. the one good thing about the coronavirus is that it exposed universities for what they are. profit making centers pretending to be non-profit. it also exposed regular schools as nothing more than baby-sitting centers where kids go for free food.

and last i checked universities are wrong all the time about science. i thought the world was coming to an end in 2000 due to climate change. still waiting for all these brilliant professors looking for government funding to tell me they meant 2025. then it will be 2030. then 2040. scientists are constantly wrong. many will say and do anything to get published and to get funding. people with tenure have no accountability. that is why nothing they say should be taken too seriously.

Last edited by Magician; 05-20-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Magician is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #458
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Thanks, its a flyer for sure. Who knows what the world will look like in August. Its an easy cancel. But maybe I go even though no fans , just to get out of Florida. Game-time decision.
if you decide on the latter, better bring your golf clubs and plenty of board games like Parcheesi and Scrabble.

Here are a few AirBnbs for August.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spa01.jpg (55.8 KB, 15 views)
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #459
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
who cares. they might as well suspend live classes permanently. a university is basically a joke today. everything can be done online. the one good thing about the coronavirus is that it exposed universities for what they are. profit making centers pretending to be non-profit. it also exposed regular schools as nothing more than baby-sitting centers where kids go for free food.

and last i checked universities are wrong all the time about science. i thought the world was coming to an end in 2000 due to climate change. still waiting for all these brilliant professors looking for government funding to tell me they meant 2025. then it will be 2030. then 2040. scientists are constantly wrong. many will say and do anything to get published and to get funding. people with tenure have no accountability. that is why nothing they say should be taken too seriously.
The anti-intellectualism crew is heard from.

Why have universities at all.?

Let’s all go to high school , no need for higher learning.

Might as well be mao during the cultural revolution of 1967.

What a waste of oxygen.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #460
classhandicapper

Quote:
"From a scientific perspective, and in the absence of better models, the Nordic countries of Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland – which are culturally, economically, politically and geographically similar – may, serendipitously, represent a powerful intervention trial". Of course, now, with each passing day, Sweden is looking worse:https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/...-not-a-panacea The article, correctly notes that more time is needed to fully evaluate (though with each passing day, Sweden's death rate is climbing), but, right now, words like "failure" and "shameful chapter" are used.
I alluded to the problem with the way the media is going to cover this experiment previously (either out of ignorance or politics).

Let's say the case load and death rate in Sweden both spike up initially relative to its neighbors, but Sweden reaches the herd immunity threshold (the point at which the cases stop growing as fast and start reversing) sooner.

What would eventually happen is that the initial jump would be followed by a quicker occurring and steeper decline than its neighbors after that. The net of everything might be that it didn't matter which path you chose other than the "timing" of the cases/deaths, the narrative in the media, and the economy.

The trick has always been flattening the curve so the health care system didn't get overwhelmed, but if the HIT rate is actually lower than people think (evidence and a recent study is starting to consider that), Sweden might be in good shape regarding the healthcare system and a lot closer to the decline than its neighbors. It will simply have to deal with the bad media narrative for a month or two all while having a better economy.

Obviously we don't know yet, but the initial results won't tell the long term story.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-20-2020 at 12:12 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #461
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drib View Post
...... Of course, now, with each passing day, Sweden is looking worse:https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/...-not-a-panacea The article, correctly notes that more time is needed to fully evaluate (though with each passing day, Sweden's death rate is climbing), but, right now, words like "failure" and "shameful chapter" are used.
OK Sweden's a failure because Frida Ghitis says so. A pure non-partisan journalist if ever there was one.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #462
drib

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
OK Sweden's a failure because Frida Ghitis says so. A pure non-partisan journalist if ever there was one.
Amazing your ignorance just won't let go. Current reports:
Sweden total deaths 3831 (+88 today)
Norway 234 (+1)
Finland 304 (+3)
Denmark 554 (+3)

These deaths are not a partisan matter.
drib is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #463
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
if you decide on the latter, better bring your golf clubs and plenty of board games like Parcheesi and Scrabble.

Here are a few AirBnbs for August.
I thought the prices in your image were random dates. But I was curious enough to run the search with my specific dates, and damn if you're not right.

Variables aside, for ~ same money, you get a porch, outdoor space, and with not much more money, you get a pool. Considering the likelihood of no track access, AIRBNB seems the better option. I will probably cancel the hotel and use airbnb after some due diligence on the local ordinances now and foreseen.

All these are killer locations and cheap.

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #464
Suff
Beat up 💪

if you're going to anywhere with no Fans, no better place than Saratoga. The horses are everywhere in the streets, the whole town wraps around the horses.

I can walk a circle around the Oklahoma and the main track and I'd see a 100 horses from the sidewalk.

Last edited by Suff; 05-20-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #465
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That little restaurant/bar at the top of the backstretch is a great place for breakfast and "meet and greet" horses - they are everywhere.

Sit on the porch, eat bacon, smell horses.....mm mmm goood!