Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #151
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Long read but worth it. A lot of good details on how exactly you can minimize the chances of getting the virus. The part about outdoor activities seems pertinent to me as it relates to horse racing.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #152
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Long read but worth it. A lot of good details on how exactly you can minimize the chances of getting the virus. The part about outdoor activities seems pertinent to me as it relates to horse racing.

That was great. Thanks. Must read.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #153
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Smokers kill themselves. Back when smokers killed other people, we DID impose a bunch of restrictions on the freedom to smoke.
Smokers DO still people - 41,000 per year. 1300 people die daily from tobacco. Not a concern of yours?
Old 05-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #154
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

very good read. Thanks for posting...
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #155
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Smokers DO still people - 41,000 per year. 1300 people die daily from tobacco. Not a concern of yours?
At some point, people are arguing in bad faith. Nobody seriously thinks there is no difference between harming yourselves and harming others. That's literally sociopathic.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #156
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
your point is ridiculous.

secondhand smoke still causes approximately 7,330 deaths from lung cancer and 33,950 deaths from heart disease each year. how come smoking isn't banned altogether? are those 40,000 lives not as valuable as the people dying from coronavirus?

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/sm...condhand-smoke

you can't shut down the economy for 100,000-200,000 deaths. it is insanity. people sadly die. the government should be requiring masks and social distancing, not shutting down entire sectors of the economy to protect people. people need to protect themselves. there is no rational reason for horses not to be racing at belmont park. it is just a governor being an idiot. horses go to the track everyday no matter what. do trainers still have to pay their workers comp? yes. do owners still need to pay their feed bills. yes. do farms still have to pay their real estate taxes. yes. where does cuomo think the money comes from? does it grown on trees?
A lot of the secondhand smoke in those death numbers accrued before we imposed restrictions on smoking.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #157
Waquoit

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
You'd be surprised, but a lot of people in Saratoga don't like the racing.
They love what it does to their property value, I wager.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #158
Magician
Journeyman

Quote:
A lot of the secondhand smoke in those death numbers accrued before we imposed restrictions on smoking.

incorrect. those numbers are primarily from people who smoke at home and those around them. a practice that continues today. there are idiots out there. just like idiots that drink and drive. like i said, if you are so worried about every life why are cigarettes, alcohol, fatty foods, gambling, etc all legal? they all lead to death. combined much higher than the coronavirus. you can't wrap your society in cellophane. enough with this insanity. the world can't shut down for what amounts to a slightly higher death rate than usual. have people put on masks and go about business as usual until a vaccine is available. then take the masks off. simple. if people don't want to go out then they can stay at home.

explain how shutting down horse racing at belmont park is helping anyone. the horses go to the track everyday no matter what. racing without fans is no more dangerous than not racing at all. stupid people that work for the government (and get paid regardless of whether they work or not) can't dictate what is right for every industry with a blanket policy. idiocy.

Last edited by Magician; 05-11-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Magician is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #159
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waquoit View Post
They love what it does to their property value, I wager.
I'm sure.

If I was a permanent resident and hated the crowds etc.. that come along with racing, I guess I'd use some of that equity to buy a second home to get away.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #160
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
incorrect. those numbers are primarily from people who smoke at home and those around them. a practice that continues today. there are idiots out there. just like idiots that drink and drive. like i said, if you are so worried about every life why are cigarettes, alcohol, fatty foods, gambling, etc all legal? they all lead to death. combined much higher than the coronavirus. you can't wrap your society in cellophane. enough with this insanity. the world can't shut down for what amounts to a slightly higher death rate than usual. have people put on masks and go about business as usual until a vaccine is available. then take the masks off. simple. if people don't want to go out then they can stay at home.

explain how shutting down horse racing at belmont park is helping anyone. the horses go to the track everyday no matter what. racing without fans is no more dangerous than not racing at all. stupid people that work for the government (and get paid regardless of whether they work or not) can't dictate what is right for every industry with a blanket policy. idiocy.
Anyone dying from secondhand smoke now has likely been exposed to it for decades. The restrictions came online in the 1990's.

And it is also highly unlikely that thousands of people are dying from secondhand smoke at home. Nonsmokers can easily avoid it at home.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #161
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Now we're gonna head into a 5-page debate about smoking?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #162
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Now we're gonna head into a 5-page debate about smoking?
We definitely need some good quality racing back so we can debate biases, trips, and figures instead.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-11-2020 at 10:57 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #163
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I have plenty of compassion for smokers who die of lung cancer.

But freedom arguments are really powerful when you are talking about people taking known risks that only harm themselves.

Why you think "I should have the freedom to kill myself" and "I should have the freedom to kill others" are equivalent or comparable mystifies me.
Suicide is not legal.
Unless it can be taxed.

No problem shutting down the entire country and all but destroy the whole economy for COVID, but no action at all to ban smoking, which kills FAR more than COVID does. And would only affect a percentage of the economy.....

Get real dude, you are drinking the government Kool aid.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #164
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
We definitely need some good quality racing back so we can debate biases and trips instead.
Yeah, I case the chart footnotes now...."The rider of Old Paint social distanced himself 6 wide on the clubhouse turn and lost all chance, but came home healthy."
Old 05-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #165
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Self inflicted death, Tom.

They know it causes cancer yet they continue.

What do want a nanny state.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply