Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-24-2022, 10:30 AM   #16
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The Bills coaching staff completely botched the end game. I have no idea how professional coaches could come up with such horrible strategy. There is no way a team should be able to score with 13 seconds left when you are about to kick off.

1) Don't kick it in the end zone
2) Don't rush anyone, or max one that acts as a spy
3) Just tackle the receivers off the line of scrimmage (5 yards, big deal)
4) Stop guarding the sidelines, they had timeouts left

Probably a lot more, but those were the obvious ones.

especially some variation of #2

Bills coaching didn't adjust their formation or their tactics properly to the situation.

the first play with 13 seconds left KC25, they have 4 guys on the LOS one is standing vertical like he's defending a mid-game pocket scramble passing lane, and the defense is playing sideline/prevent. They basically gave Tyreek Hill a free 5-15 yards underneath
Old 01-24-2022, 11:08 AM   #17
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post

especially some variation of #2

Bills coaching didn't adjust their formation or their tactics properly to the situation.

the first play with 13 seconds left KC25, they have 4 guys on the LOS one is standing vertical like he's defending a mid-game pocket scramble passing lane, and the defense is playing sideline/prevent. They basically gave Tyreek Hill a free 5-15 yards underneath
The Bills dropped six guys back 20-40 yards on the first play and that cost them the game. The prevent defense almost always results in preventing a team from winning. You would think after five decades or more of watching this play out time and time again coaches would give it up but they don't.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:15 AM   #18
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
I've been saying that about the Jets....
I was there for the 68 season, been waiting patiently ever since.....

One day.....

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #19
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post

One day.....

Allan
before we die?
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post

One day.....

Allan

For a few years Namath put up a lot of yards for that era. Too bad he had bad knees coming out of college, his last year with the Rams was sad to watch.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2022, 12:29 PM   #21
Fred Mertz

CSM= cigarette smoking man

Quote:
If the Bills win the Superbowl, it will be a conclusive ending to The X Files

It will mean that the CSM is now dead as he said he would never let them win a superbowl as long as he is alive in the episode "Musings of a csm"

https://www.reddit.com/r/XFiles/comm..._it_will_be_a/

Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2022, 12:44 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Many were talking about a squib kick but if you do that you risk them grabbing the ball at their 35 or closer and instantly kneeling and not running off any clock anyway.
The clock starts as soon as it hits the ground, but no argument from me there are possible downfalls to that strategy. I like popping it up and trying to get to the 10 or 15, even if they fair catch you're adding 10 or 15 yards which in that spot is a lot.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #23
Fred Mertz

Found it!

36 seconds...

I'm not smart enough to embed the video, just the link.

Hey, I got it!
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2022, 01:14 PM   #24
Inner Dirt

Quote:
The clock starts as soon as it hits the ground, but no argument from me there are possible downfalls to that strategy. I like popping it up and trying to get to the 10 or 15, even if they fair catch you're adding 10 or 15 yards which in that spot is a lot.

I agree, kick it short of the goal line, I doubt someone would far catch it that far back. Then they are probably looking at one play and then a Hail Mary. It must have been painful to be a Bills fan or bettor yesterday.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:35 PM   #25
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Can this be deemed worse than the butt fumble ?

No, it was bad clock management and tired , wrong defense issue. I bet on the Rams yesterday, if they had lost , it would of been worse than the butt fumble. Somehow they would made it about Brady even though he got crushed for 3 quarters. The Rams damn near fumbled the game away even though they were much the best.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #26
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
No, it was bad clock management and tired , wrong defense issue. I bet on the Rams yesterday, if they had lost , it would of been worse than the butt fumble. Somehow they would made it about Brady even though he got crushed for 3 quarters. The Rams damn near fumbled the game away even though they were much the best.
Honestly , I believe this was the best weekend watching football ever!!!

and thats 50+ years
Old 01-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #27
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Honestly , I believe this was the best weekend watching football ever!!!

and thats 50+ years

Speak for yourself, I was 1-3 and burnt $530.00 If I had not bet, I would agree.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #28
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Speak for yourself, I was 1-3 and burnt $530.00 If I had not bet, I would agree.
I did say.."watching"

After I bet Tennessee ..I said no more
Old 01-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #29
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
The Bills dropped six guys back 20-40 yards on the first play and that cost them the game. The prevent defense almost always results in preventing a team from winning. You would think after five decades or more of watching this play out time and time again coaches would give it up but they don't.
Yea.

It was a miscue for sure. Also agree with the general idea of Prevent being a bad tactic...

13 seconds... 8 seconds... timeouts(sideline/middle) .... If Mahomes wants to scramble around, that's to your benefit. If it's a full 2min drive or something then you have to keep him in his lane.

Use 1 lineman/linebacker as a spy and bring in 3 more DBs they could have had the almost the SAME basic defense play call
+ a Man-to-Man defender picking up after 5-7 yards on Tyreek, Kelce and the Chiefs third threat in that same play...

{{ZONE BASE}}

xM1 xMTE xM2

.....xSPY......
oWR1 oTE oWR2

/
but more amazing than the miscue, or the inability of either defense late was the high level of QB play and offensive execution.
Mahomes is the MVP (i don't know what the actual votes or stats say for '22, opinion is based on observation currently).
He's amazing. If Rogers or some crafty passer had almost the mobility of Vick...
Josh Allen also played a hell of a game. He basically 'won' that game in spite of losing . He definitely did his part. He's a guy that I've liked a lot since he was drafted, and it has been cool to see both him and the Bills move forward.

Nostalgia what it is, it's natural to favor the superstar players from your younger days..., and I do some of that as well..., and it's natural to dislike some of the evolution in rules/safety/analytics/style etc... from the good old days...
but, I am impressed in many ways with a lot of what I see in today's game. Athleticism of course has climbed. What's really impressive to me, is the depth and detailed execution that goes into so many of the plays today.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-24-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2022, 04:49 PM   #30
zico20

Quote:
That's not true, the clock starts when it is legally touched. The below is from the NFL.

Section 3 Starting the Game Clock Free Kick Down Article 1The game clock operator shall start the game clock (time in) after a free kick when the ball is legally touched in the field of play. The game clock shall not start if: (a) the receiving team recovers the ball in the end zone and does not carry the ball into the field of play; (b) the kicking team recovers the ball in the field of play; or (c) the receiving team signals for and makes a fair catch.

https://sports.answers.com/Q/When_do...of_an_NFL_game