Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #16
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I ignore people who spam the board like Dahoss and Hcap, but am okay with different opinions.
Hcap hasn't started a thread in like six months..
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 PM   #17
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
He's also okay with differing opinions, don't ya know? As long as they don't differ from his.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2017, 11:55 PM   #18
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Not only did he say that Trump was a lock to win the election...LONG AGO...when everyone else was saying he had no shot, or the 15 times everyone was convinced he was "DONE."

BUT IN ADDITION

He posted, way back in October or November, that the stock market was in the middle of a "generational buying opportunity," and the markets have gone nowhere but up since then...almost 20%...

Kid's good...
Trumps victory was a perfect storm of the illegal (Russian hacking and interference); the arrogant (Clinton's campaign) the incompetent (the other Republican candidates) and the ill informed (many of those who voted for Trump.)
Old 09-28-2017, 12:06 AM   #19
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Trumps victory was a perfect storm of the illegal (Russian hacking and interference); the arrogant (Clinton's campaign) the incompetent (the other Republican candidates) and the ill informed (many of those who voted for Trump.)
I know you meant to say, the perfect storm of 8 years of incompetence followed by a candidate who actually listened to the American people.

I know you didn't mean to say that more than 60 million Americans WHO VOTED FOR TRUMP were ALL ill informed. Why that would be the height of arrogance and ignorance -- so I know you mistyped.

Carry on.

BTW, I am still waiting for the HOW the alleged Russian hacking changed the outcome of the election. Now exactly what was that information that Americans did not know, but found out because of this alleged hacking?

Since the Democrats never denied anything that was revealed, then PRAVDA it was, comrade.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 12:24 AM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Yeah, like those Russian Facebook ads that have so far turned out to be pro Hillary
Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 AM   #21
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
This thread could be the start of something new: PA Poster of the Month !

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 06:37 AM   #22
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
where did I say that someone had to start a thread in order to spam the board? He writes the same drivel over and over, and it came to a point that I didn't want to see his posts any longer. That's what the ignore button is for.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #23
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
where did I say that someone had to start a thread in order to spam the board? He writes the same drivel over and over, and it came to a point that I didn't want to see his posts any longer. That's what the ignore button is for.
If "writing the same drivel over over and over" is your trigger for putting someone on ignore, I hope you're enjoying the or posters you can still see
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Almost 20%, if 12% is almost 20%. Anyway, this just momentum from the Obama years. And the first eight months of Obama's term, the Dow went up 37.5%.
Really?

November 2016, the S&P was down to about 2,085.

Today, the S&P is around 2,506.

That works out to 20.2%

What math do you use?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #25
lamboguy

congratulations to Reckless for being right on both counts. i was wrong on the market but did not bet my opinion.

i was looking at AAPL, the largest shareholder for them is the Natioanal Bank of Switzerland. they own other company's as well. Switzerland has been debasing their currency and taking that money and sticking it in the markets. i suspect a lot of other countries are doing the same thing including Saudi Arabia.

the average person is not invested in anything to do with these markets. but i have been hearing people complaining that they are not getting a return for their money that they leave in bonds or cd's. when those people get their heads into the market is precisely when the wiseguys will take the s+p apart, but for now you are better off owning stocks and i can't tell you for how long.

for the record all the stocks that i own have underperformed any average known to man!
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #26
mostpost

Quote:
Really?

November 2016, the S&P was down to about 2,085.

Today, the S&P is around 2,506.

That works out to 20.2%

What math do you use?
Nowhere did you say S & P. I clearly said DOW
Old 09-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #27
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Nowhere did you say S & P. I clearly said DOW
Good for you. Anyone who pays attention to the markets knows the DOW is not as representative of the markets as a whole, compared to the S&P.

The S&P is the most heavily traded futures contract and the most watched index...the DOW is a relic of the past that still manages to capture the attention of the public at large.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #28
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Good for you. Anyone who pays attention to the markets knows the DOW is not as representative of the markets as a whole, compared to the S&P.

The S&P is the most heavily traded futures contract and the most watched index...the DOW is a relic of the past that still manages to capture the attention of the public at large.
Price weighted which most people don't understand. It's not really even representative of 30 companies. 9 of the companies make up more than 50% of the weighting currently.

I can never understand why the news almost always quotes such a narrow measure when a much more representative one (at least for large cap) is available.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #29
mostpost

Quote:

I don't have the expertise to argue with you on this, although it seems odd that the DOW which has 160 times the volume of the S & P would not be representative. Kind of like claiming that the winner of a mid summer series at Wrigley would be most informative in determining who would win the World Series.

More importantly, you are giving Trump credit for gains made from the start of November. HE DID NOT TAKE OFFICE UNTIL JANUARY 20, 2017.

44% of the gains you speak of took place in the eleven weeks between Nov. 4 and Jan. 20.

I know that you are going to say the markets went up in anticipation of Trump taking office. I say they would have gone up more had he lost. He put a damper on things.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #30
mostpost

As I understand it, conservatives think the Stock Market is going up because investors feel all warm and fuzzy about Trump being a friend of business-less regulations; lower taxes; hot cocoa at night before they go to bed. Therefore they are going to invest more in their businesses. And make more money.

But what happens when their products don't sell? So far consumer spending has increased less than 2%. The out of touch Wall Street community thinks if you build it, it will sell. No, if someone needs it and can afford it, it will sell. This market surge has all the signs of being a bubble which will crash.