Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #196
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
The video being circulated is one that shows Arbery inside the dwelling at 3am on more than one occasion. First of all, it is a crime to be in the dwelling, period. Secondly, what would a reasonable person think if they owned said dwelling or even a neighbor who lived close by? Remember, there had been recently documented and reported burglaries in the same neighborhood. These are things that will be brought up in court.

I'm not saying that he deserved to die for entering a dwelling whether it was legal or not. But, the chain of events leading up to the younger McMichael pulling the trigger will most definitely come into play and deservedly so. Everyone is entitled to a fair trial. Has nothing to do with what emotions one may have.
It’s trespassing. The only way they will get a fair trial is a change of venue to another state.

Everyone has seen the video.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #197
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Lol. What juror who has seen the video will let the alleged perps off with a not guilty verdict?

ps—it will never go to trial. The alleged perps (all of them) will pled out and that will be that.

Allan
If it's plausible to even one juror that the shooter acted in self-defense (which is likely considering the circumstances leading up to the shooting), he won't be convicted of murder. I'm predicting a manslaughter charge.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #198
davew

Quote:
Lol. What juror who has seen the video will let the alleged perps off with a not guilty verdict?

ps—it will never go to trial. The alleged perps (all of them) will pled out and that will be that.

Allan
depends on the charge and other evidence shown.

from the video itself, I would say self defense if just seeing the video.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #199
MONEY

Quote:
The video being circulated is one that shows Arbery inside the dwelling at 3am on more than one occasion. First of all, it is a crime to be in the dwelling, period. Secondly, what would a reasonable person think if they owned said dwelling or even a neighbor who lived close by? Remember, there had been recently documented and reported burglaries in the same neighborhood. These are things that will be brought up in court.

I'm not saying that he deserved to die for entering a dwelling whether it was legal or not. But, the chain of events leading up to the younger McMichael pulling the trigger will most definitely come into play and deservedly so. Everyone is entitled to a fair trial. Has nothing to do with what emotions one may have.
In most states you are allowed to use deadly force against someone who is about to severly injure or kill you or another person.
In other words, self defense.
When a gun is pointed at somebody, that person is put in imminent danger of death or serious injury.

You can also use deadly force to stop a criminal that you had just witnessed commit a crime that resulted in serious physical injury or death from leaving the scene of a crime or while trying to escape.

Arbery had not committed a crime involving injury or death.
By pointing a gun at Arbery the McMichaels put Arbery into imminent danger of being seriously injured or killed.
So, Arbery was put into a situation where he would have been justfied in using deadly force to defend himself.

You can't put someone into a position where that person might have to defend himself and then use deadly force against that person for defending himself.

JustRalph & I are both ex cops with many years of experience.
Neither one of us would have used or shown a gun to apprehend Arbery.

The ex cop in this situation either was never trained properly or disregarded his professional training.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #200
PressThePace

Quote:
It’s trespassing. The only way they will get a fair trial is a change of venue to another state.

Allan
This is wrong. The reason I know this is because I have a son who had a buddy/classmate with a video game he wanted to borrow. My son had never been to his house and had planned to get it where they mutually worked. His friend forgot the game, but gave my son his address (rural residence) and told him the house was open and that he had permission to get the game. My son puts the address given to him in his GPS on his phone and it takes him to what he thought was the kid's home. He goes inside the home. Can't find the video game. Home owner (not his buddy) comes home and keeps him at gunpoint. He was charged with 2nd degree burglary. He never had anything in his hands or anyhing that would indicate intent to steal. Thank god, he had all the texts between him and his friend. Also, I had to video myself putting the address in my phone, and it took me to the same address. It went to trial and during the middle of it, the home owner had a change of heart and dropped everything.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #201
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
In most states you are allowed to use deadly force against someone who is about to severly injure or kill you or another person.
When a gun is pointed at somebody, that person is put in imminent danger of death or serious injury.

You can also use deadly force to stop a criminal that you had just witnessed commit a crime that resulted in serious physical injury or death from leaving the scene of a crime or while trying to escape.

By pointing a gun at Arbery the McMichaels put Arbery into imminent danger of being seriously injured or killed.
So, Arbery was put into a situation where he would have been justfied in using deadly force to defend himself.

You can't put someone into a position where that person might have to defend himself and then use deadly force against that person for defending himself.

The ex cop in this situation either was never trained properly or disregarded his professional training.
I have absolutely no doubt that you know what you're talking about. My question would be, what if they thought Arbery was carrying a firearm? Would it be acceptable to have his firearm out if that was the case? I'm asking this because that is what the older McMichael said in his statement after the incident. He said he had seen Arbery reach into his pants during a previous home invasion and thought it may be a firearm. When you combine that with the fact that Arbery had been arrested earlier for bringing a handgun to a school event, it could be compelling to a jury if allowed. These are the types of things that people will have to consider.

Last edited by PressThePace; 05-24-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #202
MONEY

Quote:
I have absolutely no doubt that you know what you're talking about. My question would be, what if they thought Arbery was carrying a firearm? Would it be acceptable to have his firearm out if that was the case? I'm asking this because that is what the older McMichael said in his statement after the incident. He said he had seen Arbery reach into his pants during a previous home invasion and thought it may be a firearm. When you combine that with the fact that Arbery had been arrested earlier for bringing a handgun to a school event, it could be compelling to a jury if allowed. These are the types of things that people will have to consider.
The building was under construction & obviously unoccupied, so there was no home invasion.

That Arbery reaching into his pants while alone in a construction could be construed as possibly
being armed will not hold water. He could have more than likely just have been taking care of an itch.
The handgun in school should have no bearing on this case because there is no way that the McMichaels could have known that.
If the ex cop thought Arbery was armed before, he better have it in a previous police report and not only in the report
that came after the shooting.

In any case if the prosecuter wants to win the case he won't charge the McMichaels with murder.
Manslaughter would be a more appropriate charge.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #203
PressThePace

Quote:
The building was under construction & obviously unoccupied, so there was no home invasion.

That Arbery reaching into his pants while alone in a construction could be construed as possibly
being armed will not hold water. He could have more than likely just have been taking care of an itch.
The handgun in school should have no bearing on this case because there is no way that the McMichaels could have known that.
If the ex cop thought Arbery was armed before, he better have it in a previous police report and not only in the report
that came after the shooting.

In any case if the prosecuter wants to win the case he won't charge the McMichaels with murder.
Manslaughter would be a more appropriate charge.
Thank you for shedding some light from a police officer's point of view. I think you bring up some great points, with regard to being put in imminent danger. Makes a lot of sense. I said earlier that my prediction would be a manslaughter charge.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #204
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
depends on the charge and other evidence shown.

from the video itself, I would say self defense if just seeing the video.
Lol. I disagree. Once the evidence is fully shown. I will be over for them.

They will take a plea.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #205
PressThePace

Quote:
Lol. I disagree. Once the evidence is fully shown. I will be over for them.

They will take a plea.

Allan
With all due respect, taking a plea doesn't always have to do with actually being guilty.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:06 PM   #206
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

Thank you! Spot on!
Old 05-24-2020, 11:27 PM   #207
delayjf

Quote:
Did he in fact point the gun at the victim prior to the victim's attack? I didn't see that in the video that I watched.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2020, 11:58 PM   #208
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
Did he in fact point the gun at the victim prior to the victim's attack? I didn't see that in the video that I watched.
In a confrontational situation with an armed opponent should you wait your adversery to attempt to use his weapon against you prior to taking action?

The victim was put into a fight or flight dilemma.

He chose to fight, he chose wrong.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:11 AM   #209
davew

Quote:

Allan
why another state and is that even an option with differing laws? and aren't the jurors going to see the video in court?

what evidence is going to come out during court that will cause these 3 to plead guilty?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2020, 12:34 AM   #210
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I don’t think they will plead to anything.

I think they are going to hope for a good ole boy or maybe two to be on the jury.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: