Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 10-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
dilanesp

Tiz the Law

I could not be higher on this horse. He stumbled at the start but still broke a length in front, was throttled back by Franco and taken to the inside (not a good idea for a rank horse), ran up on heels on the backstretch, had to wait coming to the top of the stretch, and then made a GIANT move to blow past the leaders and win for fun.

Barclay Tagg, as we've seen, knows how to win big races- he did a fine job managing Funny Cide.

This horse also has distance breeding- he's got Tapit and Tiznow in there.

He's the real thing.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
jay68802

Toss up between Tiz The Law and Maxfield for best race of the weekend. I thought TTL might have been geared down at the end. Maxfield made a big move of his own. Interesting to see what figures they both earned. Both caught my attention for sure.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Barclay looks frail.........

I wish him all the best. I enjoyed the ride on Funny Cide
Old 10-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

How did you ever make the wright?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Not sold on Tiz the Law.

He is a cool story. Was extremely visually impressive in the Champagne winning drive.

It was awesome. Hope that he does prove to be a Derby-trail type of 3yo.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
GMB@BP

Interesting bypassing a chance at a Championship to maybe run in a race 7 months away. We will see how it works out but I think you take your opportunities when they exist.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
Vodka

I think Maxfield beat better and did it in better fashion, but depending on the odds I get in the Juve I might go with TTZ and would be glad to be proven wrong.
Vodka is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Interesting bypassing a chance at a Championship to maybe run in a race 7 months away. We will see how it works out but I think you take your opportunities when they exist.
It shows you how warped out of proportion the TC has become. A 2 year old championship means nothing in comparison to a Derby win, even for connections who have already won the Derby!

One of the things that shows a sport is not healthy is when only periodic super-publicized events carry any importance. For instance, you can trace the decline of track and field, a sport I care about immensely, by the fact that the only meets that draw any attention anymore in the US are the Olympics and to a far, far lesser extent the World Championships.

When horse racing was healthy, a lot of things mattered, and winning the 2 year old championship was a really valued thing. Indeed, 2 year olds used to race 10+ times to win races and win the thing.

Now the only thing that matters is the Derby.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
It shows you how warped out of proportion the TC has become. A 2 year old championship means nothing in comparison to a Derby win, even for connections who have already won the Derby!

One of the things that shows a sport is not healthy is when only periodic super-publicized events carry any importance. For instance, you can trace the decline of track and field, a sport I care about immensely, by the fact that the only meets that draw any attention anymore in the US are the Olympics and to a far, far lesser extent the World Championships.

When horse racing was healthy, a lot of things mattered, and winning the 2 year old championship was a really valued thing. Indeed, 2 year olds used to race 10+ times to win races and win the thing.

might be the 8 rings factor, seems like very few are moving onto the BC race, where essentially if you win you earn an eclipse award.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

Sadly, because of what you outlined in your 2nd paragraph, the super-publicized BC pretty much becomes the only thing that matters for many of the championships, including the 2YOs.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #11
the little guy

I don't think they want to go to the BC because they would prefer not to ship to CA. Not that surprising.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I don't think they want to go to the BC because they would prefer not to ship to CA. Not that surprising.
Disappointing is the word, not that hard to ship. Caladonia Road did it two years ago and won a championship.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Disappointing is the word, not that hard to ship. Caladonia Road did it two years ago and won a championship.
Kind of hard to blame anyone for avoiding Santa Anita currently though.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #14
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Kind of hard to blame anyone for avoiding Santa Anita currently though.
I think the SA deaths are overblown and every track has them. I think I saw in another thread that Saratoga had 16 in a short time which would be more extrapolated than SA and their 6 month meet (do not know if that is accurate reporting)...and Santa Anita runs a cheaper group of horses overall. There is always risk running any horse and it does make for a good excuse if you are predisposed to not shipping out west which is hard to do.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ghlight=deaths
Old 10-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I think the SA deaths are overblown and every track has them. I think I saw in another thread that Saratoga had 16 in a short time which would be more extrapolated than SA and their 6 month meet (do not know if that is accurate reporting)...and Santa Anita runs a cheaper group of horses overall. There is always risk running any horse and it does make for a good excuse if you are predisposed to not shipping out west which is hard to do.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ghlight=deaths
It isn't just the deaths, it is the whole situation and how it has been handled. Would you want to be the guy that had a horse break down at SA right now? I know I wouldn't. I wouldn't want that anywhere of course, but it is tenfold there right now.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: