Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #1516
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Fine nothing else for me to say to a so-called religious scholar as yourself. Contemplation, prayer and meditation should be right up your alley.
Prayer and meditation in and study of God's Word, which is the only objective, absolute source of truth on the whole planet.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #1517
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Prayer and meditation in and study of God's Word, which is the only objective, absolute source of truth on the whole planet.
So I guess you watched the video I posted?
Old 08-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #1518
boxcar

Quote:
So I guess you watched the video I posted?
Actually, I just did. Not surprised at the humanistic-bent to the content.

The warp 'n' woof of Christianity is not in the finding of oneself or his "god within" (as though we're somehow divine beings) but finding the true, living God who infinitely transcends us as our Creator. But this is an impossible human endeavor since no one truly seeks God due to his sinful, rebellious, self-righteous, self-centered nature (Rom 3:11). The very essence of spiritual death is separation from God, which only God can bridge! Yea, it is God who seeks the sinner! Remember what happened after our first parents sinned? Did they seek God or did He seek them out!? And do you recall Jesus' words when he said that the "Son of Man came to seek and to save that which is lost" (Lk 19:10)?

The only way a man can seek the living God is by God's effectual call, then God will allow that person to find him!

1 Chron 28:9
9 "As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.
NASB

Moreover, the only way to discover one's true self if by finding Christ, as he has revealed himself, in his holy Word, studying his life, his words, wisdom and his redemptive work, for only then will such an honest seeker soon grow to loathe himself because he will see how far he has personally fallen from the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. When one sees his true self in the glorious light of Christ, he will run to Him and beg for mercy and forgiveness and repent of his sins, thereby subsequently realizing God's gracious love for him as an adopted son into God's family. The sinner, now a miraculously transformed saint, will experience a joy and peace beyond all human comprehension.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #1519
porchy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Why are there crosses all over the place if they emphasize religious, non-religious, of any faith, no faith, etc. etc.?
The monks there are Catholic and they pray " The Liturgy of the hours". The hours are prayed morning, daytime, evening and night. The Hours are a meditative dialogue on the mystery of Christ, using scripture and prayer. (Catholic Priests are required to do the same daily).

The monks there offer themselves as positive role models for the rest of us whether we are religious or not, whether we are believers or not.

Hopefully Handicap is saying, Even if we don’t believe prayer works we can see that people that pray are transformed for the better.

Last edited by porchy44; 08-19-2019 at 01:19 PM.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #1520
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
The monks there are Catholic and they pray " The Liturgy of the hours". The hours are prayed morning, daytime, evening and night. The Hours are a meditative dialogue on the mystery of Christ, using scripture and prayer. (Catholic Priests are required to do the same daily).

The monks there offer themselves as positive role models for the rest of us whether we are religious or not, whether we are believers or not.

Hopefully Handicap is saying, Even if we don’t believe prayer works we can see that people that pray are transformed for the better.
I am saying that about prayer, meditation and quite a bit more. I quoted Thomas Merton on contemplation in 1505. I said the Abbott (almost 50 years ago) at the monastery was fond of Merton as I am. Note Merton's study of comparative religion.
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Merton

Thomas Merton OCSO (January 31, 1915 – December 10, 1968) was an American Trappist monk, writer, theologian, mystic, poet, social activist, and scholar of comparative religion.

Merton wrote more than 70 books, mostly on spirituality, social justice and a quiet pacifism, as well as scores of essays and reviews.

... He pioneered dialogue with prominent Asian spiritual figures, including the Dalai Lama, the Japanese writer D. T. Suzuki, the Thai Buddhist monk Buddhadasa, and the Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh, and authored books on Zen Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #1521
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
The warp 'n' woof of Christianity is not in the finding of oneself or his "god within" (as though we're somehow divine beings) but finding the true, living God who infinitely transcends us as our Creator
Did you read what I wrote of Thomas Merton? He, I and dozens of Christians and scholars of other religions.... other than you, the so-called "expert on everything" use a very different loom,... to weave our cloths of belief
Old 08-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #1522
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
loom,... to weave our cloths of belief
That sounds all well and good, at first glance. However, when someone attacks Christianity, which happens numerous times on a daily basis in this thread, what do you expect to happen?.....If you are attacked for your beliefs or non-beliefs, don't you have a right to defend? It goes both ways, with Christians being a target of attacks more so than others in at least the last 10 years.

A lot of "warriors" are on this board, who defend the faith, in case you hadn't noticed lately.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #1523
boxcar

Quote:
Did you read what I wrote of Thomas Merton? He, I and dozens of Christians and scholars of other religions.... other than you, the so-called "expert on everything" use a very different loom,... to weave our cloths of belief
Now you want me to read Merton after I watched the video?

Here, I have a really cool suggestion for you and the Mertons of the world: Read God's Word honestly without twisting it, distorting it and disfiguring it beyond all recognition of the original audiences' understanding and the writers' intended meaning. How's that?

I've been telling you for YEARS that BIBLICAL Christianity is unlike the world's religions and equally unlike man-made traditions made in the name of Christianity in very significant ways.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #1524
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
That sounds all well and good, at first glance. However, when someone attacks Christianity, which happens numerous times on a daily basis in this thread, what do you expect to happen?.....If you are attacked for your beliefs or non-beliefs, don't you have a right to defend? It goes both ways, with Christians being a target of attacks more so than others in at least the last 10 years.

A lot of "warriors" are on this board, who defend the faith, in case you hadn't noticed lately.
I have not attacked Christianity, but exposed you to other interpretations. If anyone gets attacked it is myself, Gus and Light for not accepting boxcar's interpretation, by boxcar all the fereaking time

The Early Church fathers accepted mysticism and analogy and metaphor. I did not make it up. Just tried to show how other religions use the same type of thinking and common themes. As I told you, you are late for the party not realizing boxcar's constant insults and attacks over all 3 religious threads

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/p.../chapter3.html

THE
ALLEGORICAL INTERPRETATION
OF THE SCRIPTURES

Allegorism was well established in Alexandrian Judaism, especially by Philo, who made a systematic use of it to bridge the chasm between the Old Testament revelation and the Platonic philosophy. Philo compares the literal sense of Scripture to the shadow which the body casts, finding its authentic, profounder truth in the spiritual meaning which it symbolizes. He does not want to depreciate or abolish the literal or the historical meaning, but looks to it as man’s body which merits the fullest respect.

The School of Alexandria adopted the allegorical interpretation of the Holy Scripture, believing that it hides the truth and at the same time reveals it. It hides the truth from the ignorant, whose eyes are blinded by sin and pride, hence they are prevented from the knowledge of the truth. At the same time it always reveals what is new to the renewed eyes of believers. St. Clement of Alexandria is considered the first Christian theologian (writer) who uses allegorical interpretation, giving a cause of using it in a practical way. He says that the Bible has hidden meanings to incite us to search and discover the words of salvation, which are hidden from those who despise them. The truth is in the pearls which must not be offered to the swines. His disciple, Origen, adds other justifications of using allegorical interpretation to the Scriptures.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #1525
hcap

Christian mysticism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_mysticism

Christian mysticism refers to the development of mystical practices and theory within Christianity. Mysticism is not so much a doctrine as a method of thought.[1] It has often been connected to mystical theology, especially in the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Christianity (both the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox traditions).
Old 08-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #1526
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
As I told you, you are late for the party not realizing boxcar's constant insults and attacks over all 3 religious threads
I've been here over 5 years with 7,200 posts, I've posted in all 3 religious threads, I've had my problems with Boxcar in the past just like you.....I'm NOT late to the party Harry, as when I'm posting in any thread...…. I AM THE PARTY!...
Old 08-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #1527
boxcar

Quote:
I have not attacked Christianity, but exposed you to other interpretations. If anyone gets attacked it is myself, Gus and Light for not accepting boxcar's interpretation, by boxcar all the fereaking time

The Early Church fathers accepted mysticism and analogy and metaphor. I did not make it up. Just tried to show how other religions use the same type of thinking and common themes. As I told you, you are late for the party not realizing boxcar's constant insults and attacks over all 3 religious threads

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/p.../chapter3.html

THE
ALLEGORICAL INTERPRETATION
OF THE SCRIPTURES

Allegorism was well established in Alexandrian Judaism, especially by Philo, who made a systematic use of it to bridge the chasm between the Old Testament revelation and the Platonic philosophy. Philo compares the literal sense of Scripture to the shadow which the body casts, finding its authentic, profounder truth in the spiritual meaning which it symbolizes. He does not want to depreciate or abolish the literal or the historical meaning, but looks to it as man’s body which merits the fullest respect.

The School of Alexandria adopted the allegorical interpretation of the Holy Scripture, believing that it hides the truth and at the same time reveals it. It hides the truth from the ignorant, whose eyes are blinded by sin and pride, hence they are prevented from the knowledge of the truth. At the same time it always reveals what is new to the renewed eyes of believers. St. Clement of Alexandria is considered the first Christian theologian (writer) who uses allegorical interpretation, giving a cause of using it in a practical way. He says that the Bible has hidden meanings to incite us to search and discover the words of salvation, which are hidden from those who despise them. The truth is in the pearls which must not be offered to the swines. His disciple, Origen, adds other justifications of using allegorical interpretation to the Scriptures.
The allegorical method will always be a non-starter for me precisely because of what I wrote in 1523. The method obliterates writers' intended meanings and their original audiences' understanding. The allegorical method makes a mockery of God's absolute truth which has only one true meaning -- not the multiple meanings of various allegorists.

And why would Philo be so concerned about bridging the chasm between divine revelation and some man-made philosophy in the first place?
Old 08-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #1528
hcap

Quote:
I've been here over 5 years with 7,200 posts, I've posted in all 3 religious threads, I've had my problems with Boxcar in the past just like you.....I'm NOT late to the party Harry, as when I'm posting in any thread...…. I AM THE PARTY!...
If you had payed attention, to those 3 threads, you wouldn't have asked me recently what I believe about god. And are you saying you never noticed boxcar insulting those who disagree with him?

Last edited by hcap; 08-19-2019 at 04:01 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #1529
TJDave

Quote:
What are you defending?

How is what someone says here either a threat to your beliefs, or the survival of Christianity?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #1530
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
If you had payed attention, to those 3 threads, you wouldn't have asked me what I believe about god. And are you saying boxcar has not insulted those who disagree with him?
There's always going to be fun times when discussing religious opinions, no?

I think you enjoy fighting with other posters, no matter the topic or thread....It's just who you are and how you stay energized and engaged in life.

Now, go ahead and call me a liar....