Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Neumeier

Getting bullied by landlord

I live in an apartment complex where everyone is miserable. The management here really sucks, but that is beside point.

My wife and I are model tenants. We've lived here 6 years. About 3 years ago we got a call that they never received our rent check. I told them to wait a week or so to see if it turns up. They never received after a few more days (3 weeks late at this point) and called me saying I needed to bring a cashier check to the office (30 miles away) or they will come clean our apartment out the next day. I thought this was odd since we never missed a payment. I let it slide and brought a cashier check. About 2 months later the lost check was returned to us. No idea what happened with it.

Fast forward to this month. My wife ran out of checks so she told me to send the check from my other account. Of course I forgot. Completely my fault. So the rent is 3 weeks late. Over the last 6 years we have never ever missed a payment besides the lost check. They called me today saying to hand deliver it or they are serving us an eviction notice.

The place that calls threatening is a management company that works for the complex. I sent the owner of the complex an email. I am hoping he will respond. I want him to understand how horrible the people are that manage the property. I have never been spoken to so rudely by people. There is no way they can evict you for being a couple weeks late after never missing payments.
Neumeier is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
baconswitchfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumeier
I live in an apartment complex where everyone is miserable. The management here really sucks, but that is beside point.

My wife and I are model tenants. We've lived here 6 years. About 3 years ago we got a call that they never received our rent check. I told them to wait a week or so to see if it turns up. They never received after a few more days (3 weeks late at this point) and called me saying I needed to bring a cashier check to the office (30 miles away) or they will come clean our apartment out the next day. I thought this was odd since we never missed a payment. I let it slide and brought a cashier check. About 2 months later the lost check was returned to us. No idea what happened with it.

Fast forward to this month. My wife ran out of checks so she told me to send the check from my other account. Of course I forgot. Completely my fault. So the rent is 3 weeks late. Over the last 6 years we have never ever missed a payment besides the lost check. They called me today saying to hand deliver it or they are serving us an eviction notice.

The place that calls threatening is a management company that works for the complex. I sent the owner of the complex an email. I am hoping he will respond. I want him to understand how horrible the people are that manage the property. I have never been spoken to so rudely by people. There is no way they can evict you for being a couple weeks late after never missing payments.
So your are renting something and didn't pay what is due. Now you feel you are being bullied because they are asking you to pay what you owe. Does that sum it up ?
baconswitchfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconswitchfarm
So your are renting something and didn't pay what is due. Now you feel you are being bullied because they are asking you to pay what you owe. Does that sum it up ?
who pissed in your wheaties? His story, if true, points to an overzealous mngt company. Do they have the right to act that way? Sure. Should they? Not really.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
There are tenant laws, im not an expert in what all the different laws are for each state, but there are "rights" for tenants...so, this would sum it up if tenants had 0 rights. I'm pretty sure they have rights though.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
Neumeier

Quote:
LOL definitely didn't expect this type of response. Well maybe I did on a forum. Yes I missed the rent payment and admit it. I will hand deliver a cashier check tomorrow but I think if you live somewhere for 6 years and are an awesome tenant you shouldn't get treated like a piece of crap.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #6
Neumeier

Maybe this is normal. I have no idea. I just thought it was completely weird them saying they were going to kick us out for being a couple weeks late.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Maybe this is normal. I have no idea. I just thought it was completely weird them saying they were going to kick us out for being a couple weeks late.
Landlords typically have their own mortgage payments to make, and they only get a 15-day grace period...so, when a tenant is more than two weeks late with the rent...that sometimes creates a problem.

The fact that you didn't alert them about the tardiness also creates a problem.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
whodoyoulike
Veteran

In my area, it's takes months to evict a tenant.

But, I don't think you want to go that route. Explain what happened from your POV. Pay their late fee penalty and hope they accept it and they don't try to retaliate especially if you're happy with the facilities, because as you probably realize they can make it difficult for you.

Now, if SRU is willing to put you up at one of his places then you may be able to take a different approach.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 03-26-2015 at 09:32 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
RunForTheRoses

As others stated there are tenant's rights and I doubt if 3 weeks is enough to kick you out anywhere.

You should look into online payments-fast,efficient, and leaves a trail.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
davew

What really sucks about the management there? The owners typically pay between 10-15% of collections to the management company.

You do not mention what state you are in, but as mentioned before - states have the 'rules' the landlords must follow. Many states even put out a brochure or pamphlet explaining renters 'rights'. I would be surprised if your state allows landlord to come and remove your stuff without some sort of court 'unlawful detainer' proceeding.

Do you know the owners? Maybe they do not know the management sucks.

Unless the location or price is excellent, it might be a good idea to start looking for another place anyway. You probably are now on a month to month, after a few years.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #11
Neumeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
What really sucks about the management there? The owners typically pay between 10-15% of collections to the management company.

You do not mention what state you are in, but as mentioned before - states have the 'rules' the landlords must follow. Many states even put out a brochure or pamphlet explaining renters 'rights'. I would be surprised if your state allows landlord to come and remove your stuff without some sort of court 'unlawful detainer' proceeding.

Do you know the owners? Maybe they do not know the management sucks.

Unless the location or price is excellent, it might be a good idea to start looking for another place anyway. You probably are now on a month to month, after a few years.
We aren't renewing the lease that comes up in June. We are buying a house. We are in Massachusetts. I don't know the owners. I'd like to just bring it to their attention that they threatened to come empty the house. If he explains that it's how it works I'd be fine with it.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

You're in a complex? Then u are not a person. You are a number. If u were one of my tenants, of which I only have a few, my management company would contact me after ten days for guidance. I would call you or email.

But, in a larger complex you get the same treatment as the lowest dead beat.

Nature of the biz.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #13
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
You're in a complex? Then u are not a person. You are a number. If u were one of my tenants, of which I only have a few, my management company would contact me after ten days for guidance. I would call you or email.

But, in a larger complex you get the same treatment as the lowest dead beat.

Nature of the biz.
Whether you are in a 200 unit complex or a three flat, the way you do it is the way it should be done. Even if the management company doesn't contact the owner there is no excuse for exercising the nuclear option for a tenant who has never deliberately stiffed them.

They must have records of when and how promptly each tenant pay the rent. A tenant who inadvertently misses a payment should be reminded not threatened.

If I was your tenant, you would have a great tenant and I think I would have a pretty good landlord. As long as we don't talk politics.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Whether you are in a 200 unit complex or a three flat, the way you do it is the way it should be done. Even if the management company doesn't contact the owner there is no excuse for exercising the nuclear option for a tenant who has never deliberately stiffed them.

They must have records of when and how promptly each tenant pay the rent. A tenant who inadvertently misses a payment should be reminded not threatened.

If I was your tenant, you would have a great tenant and I think I would have a pretty good landlord. As long as we don't talk politics.
I agree that if a person is a great tenant, they needed to be treated like a great tenant, not a deadbeat.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #15
mostpost

Quote:
We aren't renewing the lease that comes up in June. We are buying a house. We are in Massachusetts. I don't know the owners. I'd like to just bring it to their attention that they threatened to come empty the house. If he explains that it's how it works I'd be fine with it.
Are you sure that this isn't how the owners want the management company to run things? The fact that you never received a response kind of indicates that.

My opinion is that there was an extreme over reaction in both instances. The first time your rent check was lost in the mail. You had no way to know this, yet you were treated as if you stole the landlords silverware.

The second time you are more responsible in that you forgot to mail the check. But why not just call you or email you and remind you.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: