Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #1
Blenheim
Race Player

" . . . He’s ready to run.”

Working by himself with regular jockey Manny Franco up, Tiz the Law went in splits of 12.43 seconds, 24.43, 36.21, and got his last quarter in 24.32. Assistant trainer Robin Smullen, via two-way radio, asked Franco to continue on through the wire, and Tiz the Law went out six furlongs in 1:12.86, seven furlongs in 1:25.38, and a mile in 1:41.00. “He was going a little too fast maybe, but Robin was on the [radio] with him and told Manny to take a hold of him and he did, but he galloped out strong,” Tagg said. “I was down there with the pony to pick him up, and he pulled up fine. He floated across in front of me nice and sound, healthy and happy.”
Tagg feeling good about Tiz the Law's Chances in Belmont Stakes

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
letswastemoney

Just give him the trophy.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
GMB@BP

Feels almost like a cinch looking at the contenders.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 12:31 AM   #4
Blenheim
Race Player

Lookin' forward to the Belmont . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
Just give him the trophy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Feels almost like a cinch looking at the contenders.

Here is a quote from the owner of King Guillermo, Victor Martinez, former major league baseball star, commenting on what he’s learned from playing in the big leagues . . .

". . . Honestly, I always have respect for everybody. I played 16 years in the major leagues and I never believe in favorites. I played with the Tigers and we were supposed to win the World Series like four straight years and we didn’t do it. I never believed in that. You don’t win games on paper. You don’t win races on paper. Races have to be raced. Games have to be played. You know what man, let’s see the race."

What makes this Belmont interesting is how the top contenders, Tiz the Law and Sole Volante are coming into the race.

TTL last raced in the Florida Derby, 12 weeks ago, no works over five furlongs until yesterday going six furlongs in 1:12.86, seven furlongs in 1:25.38, and a mile in 1:41.00. Tagg explained that TTL may have gotten away from Franco and was “going a little too fast maybe,” but Tagg assured us the colt, “floated across in front of me nice and sound, healthy and happy.” Workout standards for six, seven and eight furlongs: 1.13 for six furlongs, 1.27 for seven furlongs and 1.42 for the mile. No maybe about it, colt went two clicks fast, but considering he hasn’t had a race for three months he likely needed that mile lick. It’ll be interesting to see how far and fast he goes next work. It’ll tell us if that mile took something out of or put something into the colt.

That mile lick is in response to Biancone’s comments on 5 June, when he said, “These two horses [Sole Volante and Ete Indien] haven’t run for a long time. I want to see where we are as far as fitness. The rain last week changed my plans for training,” Biancone said. “Hey, nothing is better than a good prep race. Before we travel a long way, we want to see where we are. I think it will be good for them. Gulfstream Park has been kind enough to provide us with a race that we can run in.” These types of comments between trainers have been goin’ on since prior to the Arkansas Derbies, no doubt they are listening, watching and responding to the works of their adversaries. Biancone gave SV seven weeks off after the Tampa Bay Derby and shows two, four furlong works, a mile work in 1:43.25, another four furlong work and is entered in a mile allowance prep race tomorrow.

Which colts is better prepared for a nine furlong race, the colt that hasn’t raced in 12 weeks, shows eight short works and one eight furlong work or the colt that took seven weeks off, shows two four furlong works, one eight furlong work and one eight furlong race?

“You know what man, let’s see the race."

Old 06-10-2020, 02:30 AM   #5
jay68802

And now, Sol gets a race and comes back short. And in the prep, gets to try to run down Ete, and 4 other stakes horses. Sol looks to be, and can be the odds horse here. Because Ete is not pointed at the Belmont.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
Blenheim
Race Player

Never felt the whip . . .

Biancone and Panici comment on the 1M OC 1000k "training" race:

“He's a nice horse. He's improving. He's a lighter horse. I think he needed the race less than Ete Indien. With Ete Indien, I think I may make a mistake to put the blinkers [on], because the other horse shaded him the whole way,” Biancone said. “It was a training race. I just want them to come out good. I cross my fingers.”

Sole Volante has been pointed to either the Belmont Stakes or the July 11 Blue Grass Stakes (G2) at Keeneland, while the July 18 Haskell Invitational (G1) at Monmouth Park has been the goal for Ete Indien.

“I don't think I'm going to change my mind. In five weeks, we'll go to the Haskell with Ete Indien. Concerning Sole Volante, my owner is very keen on running in the Belmont. We'll have to wait for the horse to decide. We'll see how he is the next few days. If he really comes up, we may go. If not, we'll wait for the Blue Grass. One or the other.”

Panici, who was unable to ride Sole Volante in the Tampa Bay Derby due to an injury, was impressed with the son of Karakontie.

“It was perfect. He's a horse that's like a human. His brain is fabulous. The first part when he had to accelerate when he saw the horse in front, he was aggressive to pass the other horse,” Panici said. “What more can I say? I've known him from the beginning, and he's just a wonderful horse to ride. I have to thank all the connections to give me this huge opportunity. He's just a really great horse.”

Old 06-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
Blenheim
Race Player

Bad feelin' about Franco . . .

“I just wanted to get a little something into him, that was all,” trainer Barclay Tagg said. “He’s had plenty of training.”

Still, there was a concerted effort Sunday to make sure the work was an easy one . . . Tagg, on the stable pony, accompanied Franco and Tiz the Law from the wire to the 1 1/16-mile pole before turning him loose and assistant trainer Robin Smullen was in contact with Franco via two-way radio. Smullen said she did not contact Franco until after the horse galloped out, just to remind him “don’t keep going. And he still had a hard time pulling up. We didn’t want much.”

I thought that last mile work in 1:40 was too fast and this work suggests just that. Tagg and Smullen aren't showing much confidence in Franco . . . what are they gonna do if TTL draws to the inside?

Tiz the Law gets easy final drill for Belmont Stakes

Old 06-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
letswastemoney

Now that I look at the probables list, Tap It To Win could slip away.

If Pneumatic decides to join, he could move forward too.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
Blenheim
Race Player

Belmont Bust . . .

When the Brisnet Belmont PPs came out a few weeks ago, this looked to be a pretty nice race w/possibles Nadal, Ny Traffic, Basin, Charlatan, Gouverneur Morris and possibly Maxfield. Those six colts left the building and we haven't heard anything from the connections of Sole Volante; I think he goes to the Blue Grass.

That leaves one G1 colt in the race in Tiz the Law . . .