Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
PA, They're being paid. We're not.
WE are a group that racing doesn't really acknowledge - customers.

If I ran NYRA I would be on the PA apologizing to the customers for the irresponsible actions of a few disgruntled semi-employees, right when they were in the post parade in front of the stands.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #17
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Has anyone heard how it was finally resolved?
They probably promised to meet seriously and move on something. It's a shot across the bow with the Preakness and Belmont coming.
The timing is great. And it is way overdue. All the reducing, flipping, and cheating with weights getting tossed out of saddles between the scales and getting the saddle on the horse is terrible. All the flipping is ruining riders health and many smoke cancer sticks to try and suppress hunger. It's a real shame and a terrible health risk.
Meanwhile the horsemen are still arguing over what to serve for dinner at their meeting to discuss a union. What they had and what they have is pathetic. And while that sounds funny, that is exactly what happened for over a year at our meetings in Md. to try and figure out bute and lasix in the 70's. We eventually agreed on steak or chicken for dinner but ran out of time to do much with medication. Boy did we blow that. I'm embarrassed to say I was even a part of that fiasco.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #18
slewis
Veteran

It's a continued dose of clueless, weak management.

I remember one winter day at Aqueduct when Kenny Noe was running NYRA.
He was told that the jocks were refusing to ride.
He went into the jocks room with a pen and pad and said "Ok, I hear some of you guys don't want to ride. I need to make my list.
So tell me, who isn't riding today?

No one raised their hand.

The problem you have is a problem you've always had. Some of the journeymen experienced jocks are getting older and find it impossible to make weight. But remember, if you change the rules and weight upward, you'll have a whole new group of guys who carry 135 naturally trying to get down to 125 by cutting and using diuretics. Change won't solve any problems.

Tell the guys who are getting older to start prepping for life after racing, like all professional athletes eventually face.

BTW, if anyone has ever met these guys, and I've met most of them, you'd find they are the biggest trash on the planet (with the exception of a few, and I mean very few).
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
It's a continued dose of clueless, weak management.

I remember one winter day at Aqueduct when Kenny Noe was running NYRA.
He was told that the jocks were refusing to ride.
He went into the jocks room with a pen and pad and said "Ok, I hear some of you guys don't want to ride. I need to make my list.
So tell me, who isn't riding today?

No one raised their hand.

The problem you have is a problem you've always had. Some of the journeymen experienced jocks are getting older and find it impossible to make weight. But remember, if you change the rules and weight upward, you'll have a whole new group of guys who carry 135 naturally trying to get down to 125 by cutting and using diuretics. Change won't solve any problems.

Tell the guys who are getting older to start prepping for life after racing, like all professional athletes eventually face.

BTW, if anyone has ever met these guys, and I've met most of them, you'd find they are the biggest trash on the planet (with the exception of a few, and I mean very few).
So, most of the riders are trash you say?

How did you draw that conclusion about so many people?

What was your job description at the track that allowed you access to meet most of them?

You must travel around a lot.

Last edited by Ruffian1; 05-12-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #20
Denny
Veteran

Do people running NYRA even know what's happening?

Did the boss take the day off?

Why not inform the public of why there was a delay?

Anyone there NYRA?
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #21
upthecreek

upthecreek is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
“It was never a thought of not riding,” Velazquez added. “We’re here to ride, we want to make sure things get done.”
Duh, next time, try meeting AFTER the aces, when the CUSTOMERS have gone home, you turd.

Time to start cracking down on the crap this bunch of losers gets away with every day - grabbing and heardong. Start giving max days for EVERY offence. Need get THEIR attention.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #23
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Actually, you should admire them.

If horseplayer solidarity were as strong as these jocks, it would produce some positive change...because all the whining and bitching certainly hasn't.

Exactly, anyway I always tend to side with the working guy. Who else there besides the exercise riders put there asses on the line. I love the people that bitch but you wouldn't catch them dead on the back of a race horse.

I know people bitch and complain but what's even worse are the ones that tell them to shut up because its so great......If one can't see the (track) situation for what its become. They are either blind, don't want to admit it or just spineless. The "Stop the Complainers and people will come thread" is priceless.

After all, this is the Golden Age of Horse Racing............
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #24
Denny
Veteran

They screwed with the MSG broadcast schedule.
Supposed to be from 4 - 7.

Now the big race is going to be after 7pm

They both (NYRA and jockeys) screwed the public today.

The jockeys also screwed with all the owners, trainers, etc. with horses running today.

What a way to run a sport!

Doesn't look like too many people even showed up at the track for a stakes-filled card.

I could have posted all this on my 'We're In Trouble' thread and it would fit there.

There's a reason we complain all the time.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

NYRA management should have refuse the meeting and insisted the fist race go off on time of fine all the jocks who refused to ride.

Customer means nothing at NYRA, it would seem.
Or maybe the just have no balls.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #26
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
They screwed with the MSG broadcast schedule.
Supposed to be from 4 - 7.

Now the big race is going to be after 7pm

They both (NYRA and jockeys) screwed the public today.

The jockeys also screwed with all the owners, trainers, etc. with horses running today.

What a way to run a sport!

Doesn't look like too many people even showed up at the track for a stakes-filled card.

I could have posted all this on my 'We're In Trouble' thread and it would fit there.

There's a reason we complain all the time.
It's also an overcast day here, last race will be real dark, maybe even dangerous.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #27
tophatmert

Gulfstream has a post time delay like this every day during its so called championship meet.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #28
Hard2Like

Lezcano hurt during training

DRF article says jockey Jose Lezcano suffered a concussion in a training accident this morning at Belmont. Injury treatment protocol a possible issue in contract talks
Hard2Like is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #29
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Duh, next time, try meeting AFTER the aces, when the CUSTOMERS have gone home, you turd.
After the customers have gone the jockeys have no cards to play. That's how it has come to this, NYRA had declined to discuss the issue when there is no imminent threat to their bottom line.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #30
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No one is forcing them to ride at NYRA.
They are all free to leave if they are not happy there.
I wish a few of them would! They are better suited to hustling cattle than riding race horses.

Maybe if the are really concerned about accident protocol, they should start by fining the riders who refuse to ride a straight course.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: