Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #136
blind squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
Gary Stevens showing up smelling of reefer and booze telling a guy like it is with the f word,with the kill look in the eye?

Already a hero in the making!
I think he's basing some of the character on "PVAL"
blind squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 03:39 AM   #137
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

I actually liked the jockey agent. Having hung around tracks and horse people all my life I thought he came off as a charactor, most of the others were very bland. They should have filmed it at my local O.T.B. to add some entertainment value..
appistappis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #138
carlonr

I strongly encourage everyone watch the first five episodes. This will be a masterpiece. I saw the first episode in July and the next four in November. After the first episode, I said " good...but, I hope it gets better. It does!!!
carlonr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #139
rrpic6

Quote:
Didn't anybody think the players were way,way too dispassionate with "ALL" going into the last leg and then seeing 2.6 come in?

I would have ran through the grandtsand in my boxers at full speed and top of the lungs "WoooHooo"!!!I can deal with realism but c'mon.That was unrealistic as the proverbial MF'er.
I say its a sense of conquering. The two seasoned players, the guy in the wheelchair and the one who put the ticket together, are in shock that they have finally accomplished their dream. Now they are instantly a bit paranoid. Knowing the IRS is lurking around the corner, they should be. I saw the scene as dead on realistic!

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #140
brdman12

I really enjoy horseracing, and there is very little interest in it outside of the triple crown. Just to have a miniseries like LUCK on my tv is awesome, and I hope it gains an audience. In spite of the inaccuracies, I think its well done, especially the close up film of these horses running. It gets my adrenaline going just watching.
brdman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #141
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Didn't anybody think the players were way,way too dispassionate with "ALL" going into the last leg and then seeing 2.6 come in?

I would have ran through the grandtsand in my boxers at full speed and top of the lungs "WoooHooo"!!!I can deal with realism but c'mon.That was unrealistic as the proverbial MF'er.
To add to rrpic6 - The scene of their "victory" was also being juxtaposed with the demise of the horse that they had moments earlier been rooting for, then quickly forgotten about to move to the next "best for them" interest. I get sick at breakdowns, even staged theatrical ones, and I thought it was fairly well done to demonstrate the two heights of emotion as simultaneous within the same event. Though it seemed like an intentional contrast, it also felt as though its imact was deliberately toned down quite a bit, and I think the not-so-overzealous reaction of the "winners" vs. the "losers" may have been a byproduct of that decision.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #142
Dave Schwartz

Also, it occurred in the run to the wire - and appeared to be inside the final furlong; maybe 6-7 seconds left.

That was a very long furlong. LOL
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #143
Horseplayersbet.com

There must be over 100 reviews out there: https://news.google.com/news/story?g...Q5NxaXSfgy3FSM

If this series can become even a quarter as popular as Dexter, Boardwalk Empire or Sopranos it will be very good for horse racing no matter how seedy they make horse racing appear.

Last edited by Horseplayersbet.com; 01-31-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #144
soupman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
I'm not sure on one thing about the plot. The guy who wrote the winning Pk6 on the napkin singled the 5 in the big ticket. They also show the trainer of the 5 horse secretly cashing a big win ticket on his horse. So was there a connection between the pk6 player and the trainer I missed? Doesn't seem to be, but I think the plot would have been better if there was because there is no explanation why the pk6 napkin player would single a horse off 2 years (I think) on a huge ticket.
I think the connection is going to be with the guy and the jockey. Probably has something to do with the girls as well. I'm betting that the trainer doesn't know about the connection.

And the Graduate....I still hold a special place for Katherine Ross. Saw that movie at a drive-in 7 nights in a row when I was 17.
soupman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #145
guckers

Hope the series goes well. I found the show very entertaining.
guckers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #146
David-LV
Veteran

Excellent show ***** five stars, horse player or not!

________
David-LV
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #147
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlonr
I strongly encourage everyone watch the first five episodes. This will be a masterpiece. I saw the first episode in July and the next four in November. After the first episode, I said " good...but, I hope it gets better. It does!!!
Obviously you have some kind of connection here. Care to comment? The first 2 episodes were very good.

Last edited by maddog42; 01-31-2012 at 11:29 AM.
maddog42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #148
BeatTheChalk

Gary Stevens indeed. Quite a weight gain but who's counting.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #149
BeatTheChalk

Gary Stevens indeed. Quite a weight gain but who's counting. They didnt
give him much to say tho - other than the famous F - Word.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #150
Grits

From Equidaily, an LATimes review:

Man, I hate it when they describe the "degenerate's wardrobe" and what they are so sure is their lifestyle. Its never a good thing!!

Quote:
They’re in the grandstand every afternoon, carrying well-penciled, well-folded copies of the Daily Racing Form, the statistics-crammed newspaper indispensable to every handicapper. They live in studio apartments or, when they’re really hard up, motels. They drive cabs to raise betting money. Their St. Vincent de Paul wardrobes mark them as guys who’ll bet $200 on a horse, but won’t spend $20 on a pair of pants. They’re willing to sacrifice fashion, jobs, friendships and marriages because they know that one day they’ll hit that life-changing bet, the one that will give them the means to bet even more money.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply