Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #46
brdman12

I used to love going to the track...arlington ..hawthorne..sportsmans.....its the tracks that have pushed me into staying home, not the people who go there.
brdman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #47
toussaud

i go on big days when there are good races and pretty women in nice dresses. otherwise i can stay home.wh en i go to the track, it's for the enjoyment. i rarely even gamble seriously at the track anymore
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #48
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toussaud
which is percisly why i don't play muti race wagers.

but you bring up a point i have been thinking about for a while and have kept to myself, but i think this is a good time to kinda let it out.

the way we make wagers now in muti race bets, is archaic and needs to be revamped, but can't be revamped until the vast majority of wagers can be made electronically if not all.

what you should be able to do, is you should be able to say, i'm playing the pick 6 at santa anita. i should be able to put in a pre determined amount, say 240 bucks. before the race goes off, i should be able to pick that wager only. then the next race, i should be able to make how many ever picks i want and so on and so forth. if you did this, pick 6 and other exotic wagers would skyrocket.

not only that, the last few weeks here we have had people "ripped off" by various tracks becuase of horses being scratched and cancellations and what not. this would put an end to all that instantly. no more having to take the fav if you like him or not if yo horse scraches in the 4th leg of a pick 6
Wouldn't it be easier to just parlay 3, 4, 6 races? that way you can use your "physicality" stuff, and, pick which races you want to include in your parlay. And, you wouldn't have to worry about hundreds of other players having the same tickets and you only getting a very small piece of the pie.

Why enter into a Pick 6 when you're up against so much competition, especially when there's a carry over involved, when you could pick and choose which races you want included?

I venture to say that you would hit parlays far more often than Picks, so whatever decrease in payouts there might be, would be more than compensated for by the increase in hit rate.

Just a thought.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #49
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Wouldn't it be easier to just parlay 3, 4, 6 races? that way you can use your "physicality" stuff, and, pick which races you want to include in your parlay. And, you wouldn't have to worry about hundreds of other players having the same tickets and you only getting a very small piece of the pie.

Why enter into a Pick 6 when you're up against so much competition, especially when there's a carry over involved, when you could pick and choose which races you want included?

I venture to say that you would hit parlays far more often than Picks, so whatever decrease in payouts there might be, would be more than compensated for by the increase in hit rate.

Just a thought.
technically yes but sometimes the pool amount is more than the parlay. in days there are carryovers in particular a parlay cannot touch what can possibly be made via an actual say pick 6.

i do not play muiti race exotics unless it's for 100% entertainment. just saying that this is what it would take for me to take it seriously.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #50
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
I go to the track rarely, and when I do, I never wager. Track visits are for entertainment purposes only. Handicapping and wagering are strictly business, for me, and being at the track is a huge negative in that regard.

"Laziness"? Hardly! I guarantee you I work harder, more efficiently, and probably more profitably than you, playing at home. It's a matter of focus, and I find it impossible to focus in the environment of the track. Quiet, solitude, comfort, convenience, and tool availability trump "physicality" hands-down, for me.
Given the dramatic decline in on-track attendance at most meets, the terms "quiet" and "solitude" would seem to apply.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #51
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Producer
The thing about physicality handicapping is you have to know how the horse has looked and acted prior to their previous races and workouts. To just make a general statement or to think that because a horse looks nervous, is washed out, or looks "miserable" as you put it, the horse wont run its best race today is false.

With horses shipping from all over the country to run in races, it's hard to do this on a consistent basis. At most tracks you will be restricted to betting on strictly claimers and you can forget about betting any of the top meets in which horses ship from all over to run.
I don't think thats true. Yes, there will be exceptions but horses who walk short, have a dull coat and who seem uninterested will win less than their fair share of races. I don't believe you have to have a 10 race history on each horse to make accurate observations.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #52
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDownsJoe
How do you all handle the bums at the track?
I give them my empty beer cans.
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #53
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I don't think thats true. Yes, there will be exceptions but horses who walk short, have a dull coat and who seem uninterested will win less than their fair share of races. I don't believe you have to have a 10 race history on each horse to make accurate observations.
i'm glad you quoted this. actually i find the opposite to be true. i can count the amount of claiming races i have wagered on this year on one hand. i don't touch low class races.

i generally pick 6-8 races to wager from across the country, they are usually turf allowance/stakes races or very high class synthetic races. i don't like races on dirt, not that i don't like them my ROI doesn't like them lol. My bread and butter races are higher class turf races which is why i tend to wager on tracks like woodbine, del mar, Arlington park. Basically if you are wagering on these races i'm taking your money.

Last edited by toussaud; 08-30-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #54
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
i'm glad you quoted this. actually i find the opposite to be true. i can count the amount of claiming races i have wagered on this year on one hand. i don't touch low class races.

i generally pick 6-8 races to wager from across the country, they are usually turf allowance/stakes races or very high class synthetic races. i don't like races on dirt, not that i don't like them my ROI doesn't like them lol. My bread and butter races are higher class turf races which is why i tend to wager on tracks like woodbine, del mar, Arlington park. Basically if you are wagering on these races i'm taking your money.
I'll keep that in mind.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #55
thaskalos

Quote:

No wonder I was having such a hard time with the turf races at Woodbine and Arlington.

I wish I knew this sooner...
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #56
Robert Fischer
clean money

the champ is here

toussaud boombayay
Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #57
magwell

I always had a feeling somebody from PA was taking my money when ever I played turf races at Arlington, finally the truth is known......

Last edited by magwell; 08-30-2011 at 03:07 PM.
magwell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #58
Robert Fischer
clean money

Wink

It's not limited to woodbine, del mar, Arlington park either

this effect also happens @ tracks like the above venues.

I remember betting a very high class synthetic race at Keeneland. Big Mistake.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #59
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Producer
The thing about physicality handicapping is you have to know how the horse has looked and acted prior to their previous races and workouts. To just make a general statement or to think that because a horse looks nervous, is washed out, or looks "miserable" as you put it, the horse wont run its best race today is false.

With horses shipping from all over the country to run in races, it's hard to do this on a consistent basis. At most tracks you will be restricted to betting on strictly claimers and you can forget about betting any of the top meets in which horses ship from all over to run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
this is a good exchange of opinions, and it is a classic debate on physicality handicapping.

Ideally you would have an ongoing book for a a certain meet specific group (maybe NY state-breds for example)

I do agree with Valuist that certain conditioning signs can be significant without a book on a horse.

For most players, they would be better off spending the time and energy on improving their core game, than to start going off into physicality capping. For some it will naturally be a part of their game. Probably both groups would like to think that their way is ultimately the wiser.

A dramatic sign of physical condition can be meaningless to me in certain situations and in other situations it may be the basis of a play.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 08-30-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #60
statepierback

I will go on track socially {Maybe twice a year} or if there is a contest involved. Other than that home is the place to be. I can't stand people bogarting the windows betting ten cent supers.
As for the hustlers at the track, I just tell them to ---- off.
statepierback is offline   Reply With Quote Reply