Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
HorsemenHeist

Delaware Race 3 9/14

How is this not a 'no contest' ? Only 2 of the 7 finished due to a terrible spill, yet they paid off the race. Even show bets in a race where 2 finished.

Just another theft against the player.

Race 3
# Horse Jockey Win Place Show
1 Madame Curie Burg C $33.60 $10.80 $8.40
10 Showreel (GB) Centeno D $3.60 $3.80
Scratched: Critical Humor (2), Sofia Maria R. (4), Why Not Be Sexy (6)
Winning Trainer: William P Stites – Owner: William R Gotwals
$2 Exacta (1-10) Paid $143.40
$0.50 Trifecta (1-10-ALL) Paid $30.35
$0.10 Superfecta (1-10-ALL-ALL) Paid $6.16
$0.50 Pick 3 (7/8/1) Paid $302.45 (3OF3)
$0.50 Pick 3 (7/8/6) Paid $10.05 (3OF3)
$2 Double (8/1) Paid $179.00
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Hambletonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
How is this not a 'no contest' ? Only 2 of the 7 finished due to a terrible spill, yet they paid off the race. Even show bets in a race where 2 finished.

Just another theft against the player.

Race 3
# Horse Jockey Win Place Show
1 Madame Curie Burg C $33.60 $10.80 $8.40
10 Showreel (GB) Centeno D $3.60 $3.80
Scratched: Critical Humor (2), Sofia Maria R. (4), Why Not Be Sexy (6)
Winning Trainer: William P Stites – Owner: William R Gotwals
$2 Exacta (1-10) Paid $143.40
$0.50 Trifecta (1-10-ALL) Paid $30.35
$0.10 Superfecta (1-10-ALL-ALL) Paid $6.16
$0.50 Pick 3 (7/8/1) Paid $302.45 (3OF3)
$0.50 Pick 3 (7/8/6) Paid $10.05 (3OF3)
$2 Double (8/1) Paid $179.00
Why do you think this would be a no contest? Nothing about the spill inhibited the two finishers from obtaining their best finishes.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
CincyHorseplayer

I saw the race. The 4 way spill all happened behind the two leaders. And they were way out front. I think that is why they let it stand. Horrible, peeling off spill.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Delaware AS IS, appalling

I won't post the replay, but the third race yesterday (9-14) had four horses on the ground and one without a rider at the finish. The leader fell, three more fell over him, and another had the jockey jump off to avoid falling over the others. The two outside the leader went on to finish. The one loose horse caused some interference in the stretch as well, and it could even be argued the outriders did too trying to reel in the loose horse.

Stewards made the race official. You have got to be kidding me.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
jay68802

Watched the race and agree with you, and the reason behind it is simple. GREED. the track does no want to give up the money wagered on the race. just another instance of horse racing putting money in front of doing the right thing.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
KidCapper

I saw sitting at my local track when that happened. I swore it would be declared no contest and told people to hold on to their tickets ....evidently ...not.
KidCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I won't post the replay, but the third race yesterday (9-14) had four horses on the ground and one without a rider at the finish. The leader fell, three more fell over him, and another had the jockey jump off to avoid falling over the others. The two outside the leader went on to finish. The one loose horse caused some interference in the stretch as well, and it could even be argued the outriders did too trying to reel in the loose horse.

This has never bothered me. In 1986, there was a celebrated spill at Santa Anita that took Chris McCarron out before the Breeders' Cup. 5 horses fell in a 7 horse race. The track made the race official.

When you bet a race, you risk bad racing luck. I don't think there's any magic formula for determining how much bad racing luck is too much, and I don't really like stewards invalidating races due to trouble during the race.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Elliott Sidewater

CJ:
Just watched it now, wow. You're right, everything about it was just horrible. 10 to 15 years ago, we used to run at Delaware Park quite a bit, but the racing and the purses were much better then than they are now. The only good thing was the chart comment that all of the fallen horses appeared to be OK. I hope the riders are OK too. It is probably fortunate that this happened on the turf course, for both man and horse....
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
Hambletonian

Some of you guys make me laugh.

There was absolutely no mitigating circumstance present that would lead to the need for a no contest.

The spill was behind the two finishers.

The outriders did not effect the order of finish.

Nothing happened to prevent the remaining runners from reaching their highest possible placing.

It reminded me of the CT spill.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

CA has a rule in place, basically stating... that if half the field doesn't finish, then the race becomes a no contest.

So if DE doesn't have a rule like that in the books, I say it was the right call

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
Prioress Ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This has never bothered me. In 1986, there was a celebrated spill at Santa Anita that took Chris McCarron out before the Breeders' Cup. 5 horses fell in a 7 horse race. The track made the race official.

When you bet a race, you risk bad racing luck. I don't think there's any magic formula for determining how much bad racing luck is too much, and I don't really like stewards invalidating races due to trouble during the race.
Wow so because it happened one other time 32 years ago that validates what Delaware did? Did it ever occur to you that might have been a mistake?

At what point would YOU call it a no contest? When no one at all crosses the line?

The sport is already in the sewer and examples like this clearly reveal why.
Prioress Ply is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

If all the horses fall down the riders are required to run to the finish line for placing purposes.

Pretty sure that's a rule.........in DE
Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prioress Ply View Post
Wow so because it happened one other time 32 years ago that validates what Delaware did? Did it ever occur to you that might have been a mistake?

At what point would YOU call it a no contest? When no one at all crosses the line?

The sport is already in the sewer and examples like this clearly reveal why.
The answer to your question is if nobody crosses the line, or if a deus ex machina (such as the starting gate tractor breaking down) causes the trouble.

Otherwise I am fine with "you pays your money you takes your chances".
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #14
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Sidewater View Post
CJ:
Just watched it now, wow. You're right, everything about it was just horrible. 10 to 15 years ago, we used to run at Delaware Park quite a bit, but the racing and the purses were much better then than they are now. The only good thing was the chart comment that all of the fallen horses appeared to be OK. I hope the riders are OK too. It is probably fortunate that this happened on the turf course, for both man and horse....
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ed-at-delaware

Victor Carrasco and Jose Ferrer both hospitalized.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2017, 01:17 AM   #15
GMB@BP

This isnt the point of this thread but just read the follow up to the spill and sounds like very serious injuries to two very fine riders. Hoping they recover fully and can come back to the saddle.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: