Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #91
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroc
Lurked here for awhile and I have a racing thread on another board but, I'd like to make my first post here if I may.

My main influence was my grandfather RIP. He was a regular at BEL and AQU for many years. His brother still works for the NYRA (been there a zillion years). I learned how to read the form at age 15 (i'm 35 now). I remember cutting out from school, hopping on the train and going to the track. I'd sneak up the escalator to the 2nd floor clubhouse because my grandfather would always stay on the 1st floor and I didnt want to get caught. I also remember my first 4 digit score was at AQU. We would put in our bets for the last race and then leave to pick up my grandmother who worked at Brookdale Hospital. We would listen to 1010am radio to hear the results. I'd had the trifecta and it paid ~1200 for $2. I yelled "I got it, I hit the triple!". He said "For $2?". I said yeah and showed him my ticket. A four horse $2 box. He shook his fist at me and explained how I should have made two $1 tickets. My first lesson in taxes!

We strayed apart over the years, and we weren't talking much when in 2006 I hit the HOL pick six for $61k. I visited him in the hospital the next year and told him about that score and he told me "Horses lose". I interpreted that to mean "don't get cocky kid, take it easy."

As for books, I loved the Beyer books growing up and when people ask what they should read to start, I recommend Brad Free's Handicapping 101 (I think it is an excellent primer for today's game) and Crist's Exotic Betting (How to wager is just as important as how to h'cap).

Thanks for listening, I enjoy the forum.
Welcome to the board.
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #92
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 'StatMan'
Steve Davidowitz is coming to AP this weekend to join Scott for a Visiting Experts seminar! July 23rd & 24th! That's this Friday & Saturday! Scott reccomends very few handicapping author's works, and Steve Davidowitz is one of them! Steve will be sigining his books, and AP will be selling his latest work. The public is welcome to attend!
Just learned the AP Seminars with Scott & Steve have been rescheduled for July 30th & 31st. There is also a bi-weekly handicapping contest that day.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #93
BIG RED
Son O'War

My dad,

then I picked up my first book on racing , in the library , by Tom Ainslie, which made me reach for every book they had on the subject (around 106)

then me. I just can't shake off my own influence, that's why I will playing til I hit the bucket list
Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #94
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED
My dad,

then I picked up my first book on racing , in the library , by Tom Ainslie, which made me reach for every book they had on the subject (around 106)

then me. I just can't shake off my own influence, that's why I will playing til I hit the bucket list
That's the first post I've seen by Big Red in a few years. Where you been, BR?
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #95
Java Gold@TFT

"Gordon Jones To Win". Did a book report on it in 7th grade. I think he beat Beyer to the spedd figure handicapping menu by a year or two.
Java Gold@TFT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #96
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Did you dabble in sports betting at all?
Not even a little bit back then...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #97
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa
That's the first post I've seen by Big Red in a few years. Where you been, BR?
Something must be wrong...he's been regularly posting as far as I can tell...(Click on his user name, then you can click on a link to show you all of his posts and/or threads).
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #98
judd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Gold@TFT
"Gordon Jones To Win". Did a book report on it in 7th grade. I think he beat Beyer to the spedd figure handicapping menu by a year or two.
like his daughter
judd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #99
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Something must be wrong...he's been regularly posting as far as I can tell...(Click on his user name, then you can click on a link to show you all of his posts and/or threads).
I see now. Apparently he posts in the contest threads and the off-topic computer threads.

I mostly stick to the drama queen threads.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #100
Turfway Ed

For me, it was Ainslie that got me started.

Since then, most influential were Dick Mitchell, Danny Holmes, and Michael Pizzolla.
Turfway Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #101
cnollfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWright98
Has anybody ever read "How to WIN the PICK 6: Horse Racing's Big $$$ Payout" by Steven Kolb? All of the reviews seem really good; but I thought I'd ask a more trusted source in the people here.
I read about half of it before I got sidetracked. I was not impressed. Steven Crist, Jerry Samovitz and Barry Meadow have written better Pick 6 strategy books and/or articles IMHO.

That said, there is one simple but important point Kolb makes: To win the Pick 6, you have to play it. He recommends that anytime there is a Pick 6 carryover of any substance you at least look at the races that day to see if it is a card that you can work with.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #102
highnote

The first book I read on racing was by Dr. Z and I used his system for a couple of years before even learning how to handicap. I still use it to this day!

Next I learned how to handicap by reading many different authors - Quinn, Quirin, Beyer, Sartin, Brohammer and Cramer.

But there is one person's whose method I still use today -- Jim "The Hat" Bradshaw. It is so simple, logical and powerful. After handicapping a race using his method I can walk to the window and bet with confidence.

Unfortunately, I only use it a few times per year nowadays since most of what I do involves computerized handicapping. But when I bet for fun at the track his is the only handicapping method that has withstood the test of time for me. The best part is, everything you need to use it is right in the form. You don't track profiles, par times, etc.

The funny thing is, I've talked to others who don't like his method. So to each their own. Find whatever works for you and stick with it.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #103
Trotman
Veteran

swetyejohn yes the Hat was one of a kind. I don't know the difference between betting for fun and the computerized handicapping as you say but what the Hat laid out for us is very good.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #104
workable

jim bradshaw method

Hi' This is workable I read how you used the Jim bradshaw simple method. I had the book back in the late 90's but lost it while moving. What I would like to know is if you could share the method with me.Iam having a hard time handicapping.you mention the method is powerful. I would be most appreciable if you could help. thank you. workable.
workable is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #105
Ted Craven

Everything you need to know about Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw and the Matchup , plus dozens of practitioners.

http://sartinmethodology.com/The-Match-Up

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-12-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply